Thursday, 2 October 2008

Blue cheese please

Text messages are a convenient and fast way to keep in touch. They’re also a handy way of informing a cheese lover that this week is British Cheese Week.
Last night my colleague and friend, and I, decided it was about time that we indulged in a night out. As we were making our way to the nearest public house for wine and beer, a text message beeped from one of my dear friends. “Turn to pages 16 and 17 of The London Lite,” it simply read. I was intrigued. “I expect it’s George Michael related,” was my colleague and friends response. Hmm. I decided that she was probably right, and prayed to God that he hadn’t been caught in another shady situation. I drank two glasses of wine and tried not to fret about him. After our beer and wine we came to the conclusion that we should eat something, so off to the tube station and towards The London Lite we ventured. Upon receipt of this free newspaper we eagerly turned, with bated breath, to pages 16 and 17.
'British Cheese Week' was the headline on these mentioned pages. Phew. I let out a sigh of relief. All was well and quiet in George world. And what a cheesy coincidence that we’d agreed to head toward the nearest Gourmet Burger Kitchen for a blue cheese burger, with chips and blue cheese sauce. Once we knew it was British Cheese Week it seemed rather apt and the perfect excuse to eat lashings of cheese. Not that I ever need an excuse to eat cheese. I just like it. Fact. And another fact is this – Britain now produces more cheeses than France, and our favourite cheese is Cheddar, we eat more than 300,000 tonnes of it per year. Actually that’s three facts, if you wish to be pedantic.
The blue cheese burgers and blue cheese sauce were, as predicted, out of this world. I was one happy and content girl. After our cheese experience we went back to my colleague and friends house to chat, watch rubbish television and open a bottle of wine. The ideal way to spend a Wednesday night.
The spare room was my sleeping quarters for the evening, and a little later than my normal bed time, I retired to the spare room. After almost instantly falling asleep and probably dreaming about animals attempting to eat me (I can’t actually remember if I dreamt and if so, what the outcome was), I awoke to the sound of my mobile beeping another text message. “Check out page 27 of The Metro,” was this mornings text alert.
As soon as I could lay my hands on a copy of The Metro, which is another free newspaper circulated around London, I turned to page 27 thinking that it was probably another cheese reminder. 'George Michael is God' was the opening sentence, in reference to an article regarding the Eli Stone series where George’s music is heavily featured.
“George Michael is God,” I read out loud to my colleague and friend, liking the sound of it.
Hey, who am I to disagree?!
I closed the newspaper and smiled to myself. From that moment onwards, I knew it was going to be a good day.

Pictures of the day:

St Paul's Cathedral is situated near the Gourmet Burger Kitchen.


The blue cheese burger and the blue cheese sauce.


Colleague and friend eating.


Me eating.

14 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

St. Paul's Cathedral looks MAGNIFICENT!!! And I LOVE that cheeseburger! I'm a fan of cheeseburger AND blue cheese he he he he...

Never tasted blue cheese prior to moving to Finland, though.

Sounds like a FAB nite with your friends! ;-D Plus the fact that you heard good news about George HE HE HE He hE HE HE...

La Delirante said...

That burger looks delicious :) And I agree with Amelia that St. Paul's Cathedral looks magnificent.

Sorry I haven't been around. Very busy at work :( But I keep in touch with google reader.

Cheers :)

Eryl Shields said...

I haven't been near St. Paul's for years. One day I will visit London like a tourist and do all those places I used to go to on school trips, and I will definitely go for a blue cheese burger at the same time.

Blur Ting said...

Say Cheese! and you're one happy smiley girl!

Nick Phillips said...

Ok, now I need to go get me a blue cheese burger. I simple love blue cheese :D

Krystle said...

mmmm that cheeseburger looks yummy :) I need to go and get a cheeseburger :D

Wish you a happy weekend!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

St Paul's Cathedral is a magnificent building indeed.

So you'd never eaten blue cheese before Finland? You hadn't lived!

Yep, good news with George. For once.

The World According To Me said...

Hello La Delirante

I know how busy life can become sometimes!

The food was yummy and St Paul's Cathedral is a very impressive building.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

The Gourmet Burger Kitchen is literally around the corner from St Paul's Cathedral. So if you come to London to sight see soon, I recommend you visit St Pauls and then pop in the kitchen for a blue cheese burger!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

Happy British Cheese week! I am a happy girl when there is cheese about!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

I remember reading about your blue cheese burger. What great taste you have!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Krystle

Have you had a cheese burger yet?!

Happy weekend to you too.

Leigh Russell said...

British Cheese Week - whatever next! I love the happy sunflower, by the way.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Leigh

How are you? Yeah I know, whatever next hey! Next it will be British cucumber week! (First thing that came into my head.)

Glad you like the happy sunflower.