Tuesday, 30 September 2008

Why walk when you can run?

Kids love to run. They run to the ice-cream van, to their friend’s house, to the swings, to the garden, etc, etc. Basically, anywhere they know they are going to have fun, they race to get there as fast as they can! I took my cousins kids swimming and to the park on Saturday and I couldn’t help noticing how fond of running they are.
I was in charge of a four year old called Ella and my other cousin, their uncle, was in charge of a three year old called Joseph. We’ve been doing our bit to help out, as their parents are attending church every Saturday morning for a month, in accordance to the baptism rules. Their youngest child is soon to be baptised.
So, on Saturday I helped Ella undress and change and looked on with words and expressions of encouragement, while she swam her little heart out, with a teddy shaped float to assist her. The instructor barked out orders, while I looked at her perfectly toned figure with envy, and ticked myself off for eating too much cheese the night before. One of the loudest orders was, "Don’t run, walk!" when the pupils left the pool. See, I’m not alone with this observation. One little boy took absolutely no notice of this instruction, he ran, slipped on the wet floor, fell over and burst into tears. This running lark is all very well, but it can be dangerous in the wrong circumstances.
After Ella’s swimming lesson I took her outside to play on the swings and the round-about. She ran (excitedly) to the swings, despite me asking her to wait. She tripped and managed to mark her new jeans with grass stains. Whoops. Luckily it was just grass stains and no injuries. (Sorry about the extra washing mum!) We had fun together at the park. We played the toadstool game, jumped up and down on the alphabet snake, and I helped her climb, like a cheeky monkey, on the climbing frame.
When Josephs swimming lesson ended, uncle called us both, announcing it was time to go home. “Ella, don’t run to the car! Watch out for the other cars!” I heard myself saying.
If only I had her energy. Imagine if us adults ran everywhere. Okay, sometimes I may run towards the train if I’m about to miss it, but it’s only if I have a spurt of enthusiasm and if it means I could be very late for work. Crikey, I barely run on the running machine at the gym! It’s more of a fast walk, followed by a slow jog.
After swimming and the park, it was back to my cousins house to celebrate Ella's 4th birthday. The lounge was covered in brightly coloured balloons, presents and gooey looking cakes. Aren’t kids birthdays great. Ella's friend came round to join in the celebrating and the kids decided to take their birthday food out into the garden, so they could sit in the playhouse, eating and playing. I opened my mouth to say something but my uncle, their granddad, beat me to it. “Don’t run with your food! You’ll only drop it in the grass!” He took the words right out of my mouth!
I watched the kid’s exasperated faces as they slowed down, to prevent spilling sausage rolls and ham sandwiches onto the lawn. I expect they were puzzled at us grown ups slow reactions, how long we sometimes take to walk somewhere and do something. I’m sure they were all shaking their heads in disbelief and thinking – why walk when you can run?

Picture of the day:

How fast can I go?

13 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

HI HI HI HI...GREAT post! LOVE the pic! I still remember that I used to LOVE to run when I was still a kid. I loved climbing, too hi hi...

Kids always seem to get SO MUCH energy, don't they? Unbelievable amount of energy!!!

Eryl Shields said...

I feel exhausted just reading this, though I still have the odd sprint occasionally. Usually to prove to my husband that I don't need to be carried up that hill, then I have to hide in a bush to recover.

jyankee said...

I remember wanting to run too...when I was a kid... they really must look at us "snail" in amazement..don't you think?

suchthings.ca said...

Another post that made me smile! My little guy has just learned the joy of running. He runs back and forth and back and forth in our house, and for entertainment we go to a field to do what? Run!
Maryxo

Nick Phillips said...

It's a automatic instinct for kids to run first and do everything else later :D

I remember running around after my boys when they were that age. I was more tired than them ... hehehe ...

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

Yeah running and climbing, kids love it! I always used to wish I had a tree house to climb up into.

Wouldn't it be good if we could pocket kids energy and use some for us adults!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

Reading about kids and watching kids can be exhausting! The same goes for sprinting up that hill! Quick, where's that bush?!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Oh yes, compared to kids we must seem like a two hundred year old tortoise or half asleep snail!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Mary

Bless him. Running just for runnings sake, he must really love running!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

That's true - run first, think second!
So your boys are giving you an easier life now? Or just a less energetic one?!

Blur Ting said...

Yah,funny how they love to race about when they're little. For some reason, they start slowing down when they're around 10 or so. Now I have to tell my sons, WALK FASTER!!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

And you get slower when you're 34! Well I have!

Amel's Realm said...

That's a BRILLIANT idea! I could use some of their energy, too hi hi...