Tuesday, 2 September 2008

Seeing the world through a camera lens

Despite the down pour of rain on Sunday, I dragged my friend to a place called Tropical Wings. As one would expect from a place called Tropical Wings, it houses and breeds tropical birds and butterflies. But not just tropical birds and butterflies. Oh no, this place went on and on, and on. Room after room, garden after garden of birds, butterflies, flowers, monkeys, horses, donkeys, goats, giant rabbits, giant tortoises, meerkats, wallabies etc etc.
What educational fun we had! Not to mention the suffocating heat in the tropical rooms. "How hot is it in here! My camera lens is all steamed up!" and then walking around the grounds in the pouring rain. "I'm soaked! I wish it would stop raining!" But I was determined to take suitable snaps for the next photography club meeting, the intense heat and wet conditions had to be tolerated.
The next photography club meeting was last night and it was the half yearly photo competition. As I failed to meet the members in the woods - can you believe they all turned up at ten am and I missed them?! They must have all met as I walked to the second car park to see if they were waiting there. We must have missed each other by seconds, and then kept taking different paths in the woods so we didn't bump into each other!
Anyway, if I had seen them on the walk, I would have discussed the competition and realised it meant printing, enlarging and mounting your pictures. I brought mine on a CD, as last time digital pictures were displayed on a slide show. However, I know I have a long way to go, and a more advanced camera to buy, before I reach their level.
I was very impressed. The competition pictures were out standing, and I would have been happy to pay good money to display them on my bedroom walls. Moody boat scenes, romantic reflections on the river and lonely beach pictures.
After the competition, and after praising and congratulating the winners, I had a chat with the judge who was a very friendly chap. He commented on the high standard of the pictures and how photography can change the way you look at life. I totally agree with him on that one. I know I've only just started taking a more serious outlook on photography, but he's right. Photography can open your eyes, you can look around and notice things you may not have noticed before, wishing to capture them and enhance their beauty. I'm definitely loving seeing the world through a camera lens.

Pictures of the day:

The delicate decorated butterflies.






The Mouccan Cockatoo. Unfortunately this fellow has been mis-treated, and as a consequence suffers with physiological problems. Apparently he has chewed his wings, suffers from balance problems and lacks confidence to fly. What a sad story. But since living at Tropical Wings he is said to have improved.


I wonder who lives here?


The Sulcata Tortoise. The third largest tortoise in the world, which can live up to 200 years. Imagine living for 200 years?!


He was my favourite - The wallaby. I wanted to take him home and feed him more carrots.




13 comments:

jyankee said...

I dont know if I'd want to be a tortoise and live 200 years..what is the use to live that long and you can't tell anyone about it??? LOL...Like the wallaby though...very cute! I am trying to get more into the camera too...but failing miserably... :(

Amel's Realm said...

LOVE all the pics, esp. the LAST ONE!!!!!!!!! AWWWWWWW SO CUTE!!!! ;-D

I think you're a GREAT photographer already! ;-D

Nick Phillips said...

I loved the Guinea Pig street. Like you said, I wonder who lives there ... hehehe ...

And that Wallaby is so darn adorable!

Blur Ting said...

Oh, lovely pictures! It's a nice hobby to have isn't it? The wallaby's a nice pet to have too!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

I know! Imagine living for 200 years! And what do they do with their life? They plod to one patch of grass, and then to another! I don't think I could handle that for 200 years, I would go insane.

You're camera pictures are amazing, I don't think you're failing at all. Or do you mean you want to actually take more pictures? I never leave home without my camera but I still should be taking more!

The World According To Me said...

Hey, thanks Amel. There's always room for improvement, and think of all those places/people/animals waiting for me to photograph!

Isn't the Wallaby the cutest?

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

Are you still feeling unwell? Hope you're feeling better.

It looks like a fun place for Guinea pigs to live!

I could not stop taking pictures of the wallaby, he didn't seem to mind though, the was too busy eating and looking cute!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

I want a Wallaby! He was adorable, and very hungry!
Yep, photography is the best. I always look forward to seeing the latest pics of your life.

See you soon.

Amel's Realm said...

Oh yeah, there's always room for improvement allright. It's always good to learn more and more things he he...

La delirante said...

How cute the guinea pig is :) Cool pics ;)

Krystle said...

Wow lovely pics!! :) Absolutely great..

Wishing you a nice weekend!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks La Delirante, glad you liked them.

Hope you had a great weekend.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Krystle!

Hope you are well and had a good weekend. Have you been away yet? I’ll be over to you in a mo…