Friday, 26 September 2008

Rose-tinted glasses

In my younger days, I used to love receiving post. Sad but true. I would look at my parents mail enviously and wonder when it would be my turn. How important I would feel when I was handed an envelope with my name on. “For little old me?” I used to think. How innocent and debt free my life was then! The letterbox was not brimming with my bills back in the good old days, it would be the odd bank statement and perhaps a letter from my friend Catherine.
Remember when people used to write letters? In pen! Now it’s all emails and texts, if you wish to catch up with someone. In fact, I was scribbling something in the hen weekend book last Sunday, and I was questioning the last time a pen had formed so many words, and why my writing was not as neat as it used to be. Yep, writing seems to be a dieing tradition. Good old-fashioned hand written letters go way back to the days before those evil temptations entered my life. You know the sort - visa card, store cards and bank loans. The days when opening my post was a pleasure and not a pain.
In my older days, I despair at the amount of bills I receive. It seems the Royal Mail refuse to deliver anything positive. Don’t you think life would be far nicer if your post consisted of a heart-warming and entertaining letter from a dear friend. Or vouchers to spend in your favourite store, as a thank you for your valuable custom. Or a notification from your company praising your hard work and commitment and rewarding you with a pay rise. Or a brochure from a travel firm whose annual profit was so high they were offering holidays to the general public, for a fraction of the recommended retail price. Imagine it! But it never is anything remotely like this. If it was, the world would be a far happier place, I’m convinced of it.
It’s like the news on our television screens. I tune in to see what’s going on beyond my bedroom and my work desk, and then I shudder at the financial mess, shootings, robberies, death and destruction that this world is faced with. Is it really all that bad? A girl could turn to Prozac after watching the news. Why can’t we hear about the boy who has been reunited with his long lost twin brother. Or the childhood sweet hearts who married in an enchanting castle. Or the man who was walking down the road and one hundred and fifty pounds fell out of an oak tree and into his hands?!
Maybe I’m seeing the world through rose-tinted glasses, but do you know what, I much prefer it that way. And on that note, I might nip to the opticians to see if they're promoting any. With a bit of luck they'll be selling a pair for half price in their autumn sale.

Picture of the day.

What colour is the sky in your world?

12 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

Yeah, you're right about good-old snail mails in handwriting. It's dying. :-((((

And I also dislike getting bills...well, hubby pays the bills, but still I'd have loved if we could have saved more money he he he...

That just means that I have to work hard in the blogosphere to get some side income so that he pays all the bills and I can save the money I get for our future!!!

GOOD LUCK in getting discounts! What colour is the sky in my world? Just like those balloons he he he he...;-D I'm SOOOOOOO excited about going to Indo and having another honeymoon in Singapore he he he he...

jyankee said...

Yep...but to receive a hand-written letter you have to send one out first! LOL (as hubby says..)

Eryl Shields said...

My best friend and me still exchange proper letters: I send her about fifty a week (she's my muse, so I use her like a diary: that sounds terrible!) and she sends me about two a month, but always includes little presents to make up for the lack of words. She has three small children so I forgive her for being less verbose than I am. But getting something in the post that isn't a bill really is worth putting pen to paper for.

Blur Ting said...

Love the balloon picture! So cheerful. Don't even talk about writing letters, I find that I hardly even write anything on paper these days! What about you?

suchthings.ca said...

The sky in my world was blue and bright gold? What colour is the sun anyway?
Mary:)

Nick Phillips said...

I remember writing to pen pals from all over the world when I was young and eagerly wait for their replies. Sad to say, I've lost touch with all of them and hardly ever write on real paper much these days ...

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

I can imagine how excited you are about going away! I expect the sky is very rosy in your world right now! You could perhaps write some postcards while you are there? Not as time consuming as a letter but still lovely to receive!

The World According To Me said...

Good point Jyankee!

I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter? So I shouldn't complain if I don't receive any.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

How nice to hear that you both still do this. And presents too! I want your post, can we swap please?!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

I think the most I write these days, is my name on a cheque or a receipt! I used to write a diary every day, and frequent letters to my friend, and little stories to amuse myself. My pen days are long gone!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Such Things

A blue and gold sky sounds delightful! My sky is grey at the moment, but when I leave the office I think it could be blue skies all round!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

I always wanted a foreign pen pal! I had to make do with my friend who lived the other side of Essex! Still, I used to enjoy writing to her and receiving letters back.