Monday, 22 September 2008

The hen weekend

A 16th century, grade 2 listed house, situated in a pretty Cotswolds market town, surrounded by luscious green country side and special friends. Sounds perfect hey. It would of been had I not been ill! But I’ll get back to that part.
It all began on Friday morning when my friend Helen picked me up. Off we set to collect the bride-to-be and meet the rest of the hens. Two and half hours later we arrived at the charming four bedroom accommodation, and sent the bride-to-be and two others to the pub (they weren’t complaining) while we decorated the rooms with balloons, streamers, banners and posters. Once our work was done we allowed the bride-to-be to enter the house, presented her with a bouquet of flowers, and sipped champagne in the garden. We were ever so fortunate with the weather, the sun was beaming down on all of us.
After the welcome drinks, and tucking into the lemon cake which the owner had kindly left us, we vacated to the lounge for wine tasting. My kind of activity! Wine was sampled and origins, years, prices and aromas were guessed and noted on our forms. When the scores were added together I discovered I’d come joint second in this activity. I may have lost a point for describing one aroma as a certain piece of George Michael's clothing. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist it!)
A Chinese take–away and karaoke were next. I sang along to Careless Whisper very dramatically and very out of tune. Up until this point all was well with my general state of health. I’ll spare you the details, but I must have picked up a nasty bug which meant I spent a vast amount of time in the bathroom and all of Saturday in bed! And no, it wasn’t too much alcohol, believe me I know my limits and they are pretty high, this was another sickness altogether. A couple of the other hens complained they felt a little delicate after the Chinese meal but I must have had a super sensitive stomach or a super strong germ. I was not amused. I missed out on the jewellery making course the next day as I still felt unwell. Bless my friend Helen though, she made me a stunning turquoise necklace so I wouldn’t miss out completely.
I just about made it out for the Saturday night meal. As you can see from the below photographs it was a very grand and impressively decorated building. We had a private dining room where we played the body parts quiz, took it in turns to tell funny and embarrassing stories of the bride-to-be (there were a few!) and ate our three course meal. I sipped water throughout the meal and took bird like nibbles of my food. “You must be ill,” the bride-to-be commented. “You’re on water and usually the life and soul.” Sigh. Of all the times to be unwell!
I awoke Sunday morning feeling back to my normal self, although I felt as if I’d been in a boxing ring for twenty two rounds with Mike Tyson. He won by the way.
But enough of my whinging. The main thing is the soon-to-be bride had a happy and memorable weekend, and everyone played a vital part in making it as special as possible for her.
Five weeks until the wedding!

Pictures of the day:

The house we stayed in. Incidentally it's recorded as haunted. Fortunately we did not experience any supernatural or spooky atmospheres.


The lounge.


I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a few accidents on these stairs.


The bedroom I shared with the bride-to-be.


A pregnant hen, me and the bride-to-be.


Pre-sickness and smiling.


The restaurant.


The private dining room.


Chocolate mousse.

15 comments:

Bitter Chocolate said...

Wonder which of my girlfriends will be the first one to get married... but I'm deffinitely looking forward to some hen nights in the future :) The chocolate mousse looks delicious!

Blur Ting said...

Oh dear, poor thing. Glad you're well now, still it seemed like you've had lots of fun! That B/W photo of you is so nice! and your shiny hair, wow!!
That cake looks really yummy too!

Nick Phillips said...

I love the placed you stayed in. Wish there had been some spooky incidences though ... hehehe ...

Krystle said...

Wow that place looks like the perfect setting for a relaxing weekend :) And a hen's party makes it even more special! :)

That B&W picture of you is great :)

However, I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling very well!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Bitter Chocolate

How are you?

Hen nights are worth getting married for!
I remember when it was the first of my friends to marry - they're all dropping like flies now!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

Must pay you a little visit, I've been pretty busy the last few days.

It wasn't an ideal time to be ill. But at least I didn't pass it on to the bride-to-be, I was paranoid about that!

Thanks for the B/W comment, they always look flattering!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

How's life at your end?

When we found out about the ghost, one of the hens and I were going to play a few tricks! But then I became ill and it got forgotten!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Krystle

How are you? Be over to you in a bit.

The house was perfect! Big enough to hold us all but not too big so it didn't feel cosy. And we didn't damage anything, oh apart from a wine glass...

Amel's Realm said...

AWWWWWWWW sorry to hear about your germs. :-(((( The pics are LOVELY. I TOTALLY LOVE that pic of yours! Such a natural smile! ;-D GORGEOUS!!!

Eryl Shields said...

The whole thing, apart from your illness, sounds and looks gorgeous. Sadly I've reached the age where all my friends are getting divorced! Still, there are usually parties for those too.

Dav DiDi said...

Wahh .. cool .. i like the place..but not the stairs ...

Hhmmm ... I'm going to be bridesmaid for my friend's wedding.. can't wait for that .. :)

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

How are you?

Glad you like the pics.
Black and white pics are more flattering than colour sometimes!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

How are things with you?

Oh dear, divorce parties. One of my friends has recently divorced, and I'm hoping there will be no other casualties!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Dav Didi

How are you?

Yeah the stairs were rather risky!

When's your friends wedding? I've loved being a bridesmaid, the posh frock and the special part in the important day.

Hen Weekend said...

Hey,
This is the nice post and i like this post too much and more enjoy with hen weekend .
If you are out on a hen weekend, you need to plan your daytime and nighttime activities separately