Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Dear George

I’m loathe to admit it, but it’s becoming increasingly trickier for me to defend you.
Since your latest antics at the weekend, I have been bombarded with emails, questions and opinions from friends and colleagues. Even the nice man in IT and my editor have queried your actions and your reasons. “I hear George has been up to no good again,” were amongst a few of the comments. I tried to deny it at first. “It wasn’t him. It was an impostor. He was actually at home with me, playing bridge and drinking herbal tea.” Nobody believed me - I don’t know how to play bridge. Oh except for the nice IT man, he said it could be possible, but he hoped I politely declined any offer of ‘sugar’ with my tea.
You could argue, “What has my weekend activities got to do with you, your colleagues, your friends and the rest of the world?” The answer is, it has nothing to with us. Who am I to tell you what to do, where to go and how you should spend your money? Goodness gracious, we haven’t even met! (Apart from in my dreams.) But the problem is this; you are an established and respected writer, singer and performer whose life is in the public eye. You are also an intelligent human being who knows how the media works. They’ll sell their grandmothers and their souls for headlines and circulation figures. So why do you continually do this? You know the risks, you know the consequences George.
I can’t pretend to know you, I have never had the fortune to meet you or even become your friend. Regardless of what some people may think, I refuse to become an obsessive fan who stalks you and hunts you down until you have no alternative but to notice me and fall hopelessly in love with me. (I’m the wrong sex anyway!)
However, since the early Wham! days I have enjoyed your music and I have read and watched countless interviews. I’d like to think I know a part of you. Not the part behind closed doors, obviously, I don’t know how you like your eggs cooked or what shampoo you use. But over the years you have opened your heart in interviews regarding love, loss, drugs and fame. You’ve written meaningful lyrics about life and love, and in my humble opinion I think you are a sensitive, creative, rather deep person, who has led a privileged life, but a life that has also had it’s fair share of pain and suffering.
A recent sell out world tour, respect and patience from adoring, faithful fans, a loving partner, a wide circle of friends and more money and talent than I could possibly imagine. Sounds ideal doesn’t it? And yet is it enough? Why the need for the casual, risky sex and class A drugs? Again you could question what your sex life and drug use has to do with me and the public. But last Friday you were reported to have begged the police, with tears in your eyes, not to charge you with the drug possession. This would automatically result in a ban from entering the U.S.A, and therefore be impossible for you to perform at the concert arranged and being held to raise money and awareness for AIDS. So you see, I’m afraid your actions, moments of madness, or whatever you call them, do directly affect others. Others who have paid money and are donating time to see you. That’s why the media love to knock you down, that’s why everyone seems to have an opinion. And that’s probably why you had tears in your eyes, as I'd like to think you care what certain people think of you, and it’s these people that you do not wish to let down.
At the risk of sounding like a Verve song - the drugs don’t work, George. Are you really in control of them, or are they controlling you? It’s a slippery downward spiral which can destroy relationships, finances and lives. Believe me, I’ve seen it with my own eyes. Still, I’m sure you don’t need me to point these facts out. Please don’t ignore the signs though. The warnings are there for a very valid reason.
I just hope Ken is as understanding as he seems. I would hate to see you loose your, and I quote, “Amazing American cowboy.”

Be safe. Be strong. And search inside yourself for your inner peace. Xx

PS How do you like your eggs cooked and what shampoo do you use? I'm just curious!

10 comments:

jyankee said...

oopss. second time... as I was saying, poor George has gotten himself into some trouble recently. Let's hope he snaps out of it...he is too good of a talent to go down THAT path! I think an order of your breakfast and some of your tender loving care are what is needed to get him straight again!

Blur Ting said...

Must be quite painful for a fan like you. Hope he gets his act together soon.

Nick Phillips said...

'He was actually at home with me, playing bridge and drinking herbal tea' ... I believe you :D

At least you still faithfully try to defend him :D

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

I hope he snaps out if too. But I can't help thinking it's all a cry for help. That's what he needs, understanding and help. We could judge him until we are blue in the face, but at the end of the day he is a human being and it seems he is in on that path of destruction, so I hope he finds the answers before it's too late.
I'd sort him out with some TLC!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

It is hard to watch and read about. At the end of the day I hate to think about any decent person battling addictions and demons, so I hope he takes some time out to reflect on life and he get things back on track.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

Did I have you going there?! If only hey!
I'm a very faithful person!

Eryl Shields said...

Poor old George.

Amel's Realm said...

Oh dear...sorry to hear this. You've got that right, though, that George should get his act together!

How I like my eggs? Hmmm...depends on my mood, I guess. Sometimes I want it boiled (half-cooked), sometimes I want to fry it.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

I hope Kenny is looking after him and very soon we see a happier, cleaner, and more focused George.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

Let's hope he's getting his act together right now.

Hmm, boiled and fried are good. I like runny eggs to dip marmite soldiers in! Scrambled eggs are good too!