Monday, 8 September 2008

The day I went to BirdWorld

I’m sure if we’d packed one more item in the car (the kitchen sink perhaps) the contents would have tumbled out of the misty windows and onto the wet road, leaving a little trail behind, from my house to BirdWorld.
But it’s always best to come prepared, don’t you think? Picnic hamper, cool bag, picnic rug, large umbrella, small umbrella, trainers (if only I'd worn mine), jackets, directions, spare picnic rug, sweeties, more food and drink, camera, and everything else you would need for a day out looking at birds.
Yep, it was another weekend and another day spent with the animals. This time the chosen destination was BirdWorld. Again, the clue is in the name - BirdWorld has 26 acres of aviaries and beautiful landscaped gardens. You can adopt an animal, feed the penguins, walk with llamas, and hire the whole place out for a mere £500.
Or you could just walk around in the rain, taking photographs and feeling sorry for the birds. This is what my lovely friend and I did on Saturday. There were all sorts of brightly coloured and unusual looking feathered animals. I even had a conversation with a parrot. Well we said hello and bye-bye, and I think he said a rude word but I can’t be sure, I could of imagined the rude word. But it didn’t feel right, staring at their beady eyes through the wires in the cage. Okay, some of the cages were pretty big, but not quite as big as a jungle where they are free to spread their wings and fly around, perching on trees every now and then to rest and watch jungle activities.
I much preferred looking at the flowers and the farm animals, I didn’t feel so guilty looking at these.
We also had a picnic in the rain. Beef sandwiches, a selection of strong cheeses, pates, cold and spicy sausages, strawberries and cream, and other yummy picnic type food. The good old fashioned English picnic, with the good old fashioned English weather.
There’s plenty to see and do at BirdWorld, we walked around admiring the animals, and feeding some of them with dried worms (rather them than me) and at the end of the day I realised I had a good old fashioned blister.

I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend dear readers.

Pictures of the day:

The pink flamingos.


The greater rhea.


That's what I think to your dried worms. You could of saved me a fairy cake!


Hello Mr goat.


Oink, oink!


The flowers.






18 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

Sounds like a splendid Saturday.

Blur Ting said...

Hehe, kitchen sink! That's a good idea. You can wash your fruits and hands! Sounds like you've been having lots of rain too but goody, you didn't allow the rain to dampen your spirits.

Nick Phillips said...

I love bird parks though I feel sorry for the poor critters ... I remember my last visit to our bird park here last year. I had such a great time :D

Amel's Realm said...

YES!!! It's better to come prepared! ;-D

I can't believe the pigs (?) look SO fattttt he he he...

What's that third flower (the one upside down?)? It looks SPLENDID!

Sorry about the blister. :-(((((

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

It was a splendid Saturday. But next time I have a picnic, I want a NYLON cheesecake!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

Believe me, if the kitchen sink could have fitted in the car, I think we would have taken it!
I'm afraid it's rainy season again here. Apparently, so far it's been the wettest September since records began. How's the weather where you are?

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

I totally agree with you, it doesn't seem fair does it?
I hope all is good with you.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

Yep, always best to come prepared. I wish I'd worn my trainers though, my blister seems to have grown in size!

You're right, that is a fat pig! They must be feeding him well! Maybe he eats all the left over picnic food?!

Sorry, I'm not sure of the flowers name. Not one I recognise, and there was no flower name near it.

jyankee said...

There's a bird park here too...it's got flowers and owls and stuff...I'll have to make a trip out there...now that you've brought that subject up!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Picture please if you visit your park!

Kate said...

Aaahhhhh! I KNEW you'd have some great photos as soon as I saw that you were headed on an outing! Where is this place? Should we take the kids there when we come over next summer? I'm sorry I haven't paid you a visit for a while! And thanks for the award! It's my own fault if I haven't been keeping up with you, but I would love to hear more about the photography club, if you decided to go ahead with it.

suchthings.ca said...

Oh my goodness, bird world! That sounds like my kind of place! Great photos!

Dav DiDi said...

Is the flamingo really pink ?? Wow...

Hhmm, the pigs looks very different from the one we have here...

The World According To Me said...

Hello Such things

Glad you liked the photos. I always admire yours. Have you got somewhere like BirdWorld over there?

The World According To Me said...

Hi Dav Didi

Yep the flamingo is really pink, although the picture does not do it justice.

The pig looked rather well fed to me!

La Delirante said...

I love flamingos :)Cool pics as usual ;)

The World According To Me said...

Thanks La Delirante. It always amazes me how their spindly legs carry their body weight! To me it looks like their legs could snap at any second!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate

Sorry, I missed your comment! Not sure how I managed that?

BirdWorld is in Surrey, a nice part of the country and I do recommend it. Great place for a picnic and to see the animals. There's even an aquarium but we ran out of time! It's not cheap though. £12.95 per adult or £42 for a family of four.

You're welcome with the award!

I'm still attending the photography club every Monday and enjoying it. Next walk is looking at sewage pipes though?! Think I'll give that one a miss!