Friday, 1 August 2008

Splashes of rain at the company annual picnic

There are certain things in this wonderful life which you can guarantee. One of them being - it will always rain at the company annual picnic.
Despite days of continuous and glorious sunshine (us lucky Brits have actually experienced summer weather at summer time), as soon as the office traipsed to Regent's Park with carrier bags full of food and drink, ball games and high spirits, down came the rain.
If I was the gambling sort, I would have put money on 'splashes of rain at the company annual picnic'. It would have been a safe bet. Yep, I can picture my colleagues and I, in the bookies, with our slips of paper, all betting for rain at the annual picnic. "I've heard it's a sure thing," newcomers would say. "Oh the statistics are high for rain," us old timers would say.
Still, the weather may have dampened the grass but we tried not to let it dampen our spirits. What troupers we are! Sandwiches and crisps were gobbled, drinks were sipped, and the energetic workers played rounders and football.
As for me, I sang George Michael songs. One of the guys in the office is rather musical and sings in a band. He sat down beside me with his musical instrument, and predictably I asked if he could play George Michael. He could and he did. 'Faith' and 'Last Christmas' were played and sang, much to the bemusement of near by employees. "I bet you wish you'd never sat down beside me," I laughed. He then got up to eat and drink, never to be seen again.
I decided to help myself to a handful of sausage rolls and chat to my work collegue and friend regarding our weekend plans (you're allowed to do that on a Thursday without feeling you are wishing your life away - see 'What's the deal with Tuesday?' post). And then I decided to head home before another grey cloud erupted over the soggy food and drink. There's always next year. Although it's bound to rain again.

Pictures of the day:

Last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away...


Always come prepared.

11 comments:

Nick Phillips said...

Well, rain or no rain, looks like you guys had a great time. It's great that your office has annual picnics :D I wish mine did ...

jyankee said...

cool and to have a guy that could respond to your GM requests! hot! when is that concert anyways????

Eryl Shields said...

I love that your company has an annual picnic, there's something so cheery about picnics, and the rain doesn't seem to have put a damper on it.

Blur Ting said...

Yah, it's a good thing you guys didn't let the rain dampen your spirits. That looks like a fun outing!

Gbex and Ellen said...

Happy weekend!!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

I guess in the UK you get used to the unpredictable weather, and try not to let it spoil your day!
Maybe you should suggest an annual picnic to your company?! You'll probably have better luck with the weather!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

I'm so predictable aren't I! Only 20 days to go! Don't worry, I shall tell you all about it!

The World According To Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

I agree, picnics are so much fun. They're even better when the sun shines!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

It beats being stuck in the office, and umbrellas are essential items in our bags!

The World According To Me said...

Hello gbex and ellen

Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants and my corner of the world!