Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Music for the soul

I was driving along in my car the other day, listening to Virgin Radio (unfortunately the CD player is not working, due to Alicia's Attic stuck inside the machine), when Bob Marley's voice sang, "Don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing gonna be alright," through my speakers. I immediately cranked up the volume, joined in with the lyrics, and felt instantly uplifted.
Isn't it great how a song can make you feel like this. One minute you can be stressing about everything, the next minute you can be smiling and singing along to Bob Marley's voice, thinking life really aint that bad at all.
Can you imagine life without music? It wouldn't be the same would it. Parties without sound. Well, apart from the sound of the party guests chatter, but you can't dance and sing to conversation, can you. No concerts or festivals to attend. No iPods to distract you from your repetitive train journey or your repetitive walk. No radio or CD player in your car to sing along to and uplift your spirit.
In the Big Brother house (okay, I admit I've been catching snippets of it) strangers are thrown together in a house without television, books or music. But it's the music they seem to miss the most, and it's music that is often the reward for completing certain tasks. Up and down the house mates jump, squealing at the thought of songs. And when the songs are played, either through the loud speakers or personal head phones, you can hear and see the house mates exclaiming, "I love this one!" Even the reserved (if you can call BB contestants reserved) are singing, dancing, smiling and clapping. I can't imagine the reward of half an hour of Coronation Street, or reading a chapter in a book having this affect.
And I challenge anyone not to raise a smile when one of their favourite songs are played. Go on, think about one of your favourite songs. The artist, the lyrics, the rhythm. Perhaps it reminds you of a special time in your life. Now try to stop the corners of your mouth raising into a smile. Hard isn't it. And why shouldn't you smile, songs can be very powerful and healthy for the soul.
And wouldn't you agree it's tricky to differentiate your favourite song of all time. Too much choice! Too many happy memories maybe. Perhaps it's easier to break it down into your top 5. What would yours be?

After a tiny debate with myself, I have decided my top 5 are:

1. I knew you were waiting (for me) - George Michael and Aretha Franklin. Cor, I bet that surprised you, George appears in my top 5.
I adore this song. The voices, the lyrics. It also reminds me of a happy innocent time in my life, when I imagined singing this to my soul mate.
And guess what, I still imagine singing this to my soul mate!

2. Rolling Stones are one of my all time favourite bands. So many great tunes it's hard to pick a winner. Maybe Paint It Black or Mixed Emotions. Hmm, I think Paint It Black has a slightly better edge to it. I love the introduction music to this song.

3. Fleetwood Mac rule! Again, so many to choose from. I think I'll go with, You Can Go Your Own Way.

4. U2 - With Or Without You. An absolute classic in my eyes. Guaranteed you will hear me screeching along to this one.

5. This is harder than I thought. I'm also a fan of:
Oasis - Wonderwall.
Aretha Frankin - I Say A Little Prayer.
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me.
Ocean Colour Scene - One For The Road.
Edie Brickell - What I Am.
Sleeper - What Do I Do Now?
All the Abba songs!
Wham! - Edge Of Heaven and I'm Your Man.

Shall I get back to you on my number 5? This could take a while...

In the mean time, don't be shy. I'm interested to hear your top 5, dear readers.

Picture of the day:

The Rose Garden.

8 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

My top five changes with the weather, and I can never remember the names.
Number one at the moment is definitely 'You bl****y, mother f******g, a**eh**e' by Martha Wainwright.
Then it's a toss up for the next four between: 'Go tell the women' by Grinderman; 'Alcohol' by Gogol Bordello; 'Clouds' by Joni Mitchell; and something from Kid A by Radiohead, but which one, who knows? Actually, I'm much more of a whole album person than an individual song sort, but I'd struggle to name just five favourites of those too. And to put them in order!

jyankee said...

Hmmm.. I like so MANY songs..it's hard to name my top five. However, I remember watching "Cold Case" and the ending was a 1979 song "The Goodbye Girl" which was so nostalgic to me... Even though I really don't know why...it's one of my all time favorites....

Nick Phillips said...

You're right. Songs do tend to play a great deal in the way we feel sometimes :D My all time favourite top five are:

1. Hotel California by the Eagles. I simply cannot get enough of this song.

2. Your Song by Elton John. The lyrics are so wonderfully written.

3. Feel Like Heaven by Fiction Factory. Another song that's truly touched my soul.

4. The Chauffeur by Duran Duran. One of the lesser know Duran Duran songs.

5. Love Of The Common People by Paul Young. Needs no explanation really this one :D

Now you've got me wanting to go home and dig up all these songs and listen to them tonight :D

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

Good choices!
I've thought of even more songs for my number 5. It's a tough one, isn't it.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Hmmm, I'm not sure I know The Goodbye Girl? But I'll take your word for it. Yep, so many songs, so many choices....

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

Oooh I like your list.

I used to be a Paul Young fan back in the 80's. Still like his stuff now. 'Wherever I Lay My hat' was one of my favs. "By the look in your eye, I can tell ya gonna cry, is it over me? If it is save your tears, for I'm not worth it, you'll see..."

I'm going to track down the Duran Duran one as I'm not familiar with it.

Amel's Realm said...

I'd go NUTS if I have to do without music, book, and television he he he...

And I don't know what my top 5 songs would be. Too many!!!

Sometimes it depends on my mood what kind of songs I'd love to hear the most.

I love ABBA songs, too! ;-D

"I Knew I Loved You Before I Met You" by Savage Garden is definitely a song that leaves a HUGE mark on me since it happened to me and hubby HA HA HA HA HA...

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

The more I think about it, the more songs I like and that top 5 is expanding!

I'd go nuts without books too, oh and the telly is a welcome distraction!

Good choice with The Savage Garden tune. I love 'truly, madly, deeply' too.
"I wanna lay like this forever, until the sky falls down on me..!"