Tuesday, 12 August 2008

The lazy rainy Sunday

Okay, I know it's Tuesday but this is the first opportunity I've had to write about my lazy rainy Sunday.
And the morning wasn't that lazy as I was up at a reasonable hour, with my friend, for a stroll around a local car boot sale.
It had the perfect combination of old and new. Flower stalls, sweet stalls, book stalls, music stalls. In fact, the stalls appeared to go on forever, stretching in front of us like stepping stones to an unknown world, waiting to be discovered and explored.

For the sweet toothed customer.


The smiley flower pots.


No, I'm not going to ask the seller if he can play George!


My kind of stall. I bought two books: 'The House At Riverton' by Kate Morton and Alexander McCall Smiths 'The Sunday Philosophy Club'.


Is that a black cloud I spy in the distance? That can only mean one thing.


The Union Jack flag was flapping in the wind, a stark reminder of how unpredictable the British weather can be. It was time to make a run for the car!


I arrived home with my purchases, bargain books and Cd's, glad to be out of the rain and wind. And there is something quite safe and cosy about being indoors, watching the rain splashing against the windows and the trees dancing in the breeze.
My over sized green cardigan was added for extra warmth, tea was made, and I pottered around the house listening to the sounds of Ocean Colour Scene, until I settled on the green arm-chair and curled up, ready to loose myself in my latest reading adventure.
Hooray for the lazy rainy Sunday!

Tea time.


Reading time.

11 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

There is something cosy and safe about being inside watching the rain, but it's beginning to wear a bit thin. I'm feeling terribly sun deprived and may have to move continents if this weather keeps up.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

Alas I know exactly what you mean. It's all very well locking yourself indoors when you have no desire to leave the house. And you can't help feeling quite smug that you are avoiding the weather. Hence the lazy rainy Sunday.
But some days it would be nice to see the sun again.

Amel's Realm said...

I LOVEEEEEEEE stands!!! And hey, I have "The House at Riverton", too, even though I haven't read it yet. I'm currently reading something else, but "The House at Riverton" is definitely next on my list he he he he he he...;-D

LOVE the pics, too, esp the last two pics. SO cozy!!!

And now you've seen Devil Amel (Angry Amel), I've just written down an update on the ticket thingie. We've found a good solution! ;-D YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!

Natalie Galitzine said...

Oooh... That sounded so lovely :) Especially the rainy evening ;) I love it when it is windy and stormy outside, and I can sit in my bed among pillows with a good book and some soft candle light. Mmm... And I miss those outdoors markets, - I went there when I lived in Denmark, but I haven't heard of those in Russia (I mean there are enough markets, also with cheap stuff, - but "formal" markets, not those charming and more "personal"...).
Lovely blog :)

Hugs,
Natalie

shello said...

how fun! and the pots!!! i guess whatever is planted in them is supposed to be their 'hair'. cute ;)

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

Glad you have found a solution. So you didn't need to kill or sue?! I'll be over to you in a jiffy.

What a coincidence with the book! I'm reading one about serial killers at the mo. It's pretty disturbing in parts (why do I do this?!) but I think I have figured out who the killer is!
The House at Riverton next. I'll let you know how it goes, without spoiling the plot!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Natalie

Welcome to the place where elepants can fly, and they're pink!

Pillows, candles and books. Sounds perfect.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Shello.

Yep, the pots are rather bald in the picture! Quick, someone buy them and allow them some kind of plant hair, before they realise their baldness fate...

Amel's Realm said...

Yes, gladly I didn't need to kill or sue someone he he he...I can be morbid, too, you know? VERY morbid, even! HI HI HI...

Okie dokie about The House at Riverton! I'll let you know my view once I've finished reading, too! ;-D

jyankee said...

Looks cool..typical English weather eh? I think you shoulda tried to ask if the guitar salesman could play George or not! You coulda been pleasantly surprised!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Yep that darn thing called English weather!
Maybe next time I'll ask if he can play George?! And guess what, only 11 days to go!

Hope you're okay. By the way, sometimes I have problems leaving you a comment. I'll try again soon...