Wednesday, 20 August 2008

The hat of many occupations

Yesterday I was planning a peaceful day in the office, and looking forward to telling you all about (in my lunch hour, of course, I would never skive during working hours) the photography club which I visited Monday evening.
But you know what they say about the best laid plans, don't you - they never quite go according to plan. Yesterday was a fine example of this.
Unfortunately my not-so-new boss has strained the ligaments at the side of her spine (ouch), so after three telephone calls from her, I had to put my 'production controller / designer / production manager' hat on. Images had to be researched and downloaded from the Internet, word documents formatted into InDesign style sheets, logos collected and inserted, colour proofs printed for proofing purposes, and I barely had time to blink. Let alone blog. I even left the office at an unsociable hour, the cleaners were hoovering around my desk as I was switching my Mac off and wishing it good night. Usually I'm running out the door at the stroke of five thirty. Huh. So much for my peaceful day.
Today is not as busy, but busy enough thank you. However, I have managed to take some time out for my autumn vegetables and mild spices soup, and low fat cottage cheese with pineapple, on rivittas, and write about the shenanigans at the photography club. See how good I am to you?
Apparently the club is celebrating it's 72nd anniversary this year. It's held in a local hall and it's aim is to encourage the development and enjoyment of photography as a hobby. Sounds a great idea to me. Monday night was competition night between this club and a neighbouring club, which meant slides and prints were discussed and marked out of ten by a very important judge. With tea and biscuits at half time.
What a welcoming lot the members are, everyone was kind and friendly. Although I have to warn you that I'm not the most confident person when I meet new people, and I found my cheeks burning the colour of my jacket (bright red) when I was asked to stand up and introduce myself. Eek. I also found myself fantasising about upgrading my camera, finances will have to vastly improve, and wishing to visit exotic and intriguing places to capture many idyllic scenes.
But for now, my 7.1 mega pixels will have to do. Next meeting is in the woods 10am on Sunday. Expect lots of pictures of trees. And maybe I'll be wearing my photography hat.

Picture of the day:

My drinking hat.

11 comments:

jyankee said...

sounds cool! and yeah work...never as peaceful as we wish eh? LOL!

Blur Ting said...

That's a really cute photo!You look lovely! Oh good, shoot some trees. They're my favourite subjects.

Kate said...

How cool!

You will rule in the photography club: your pictures are awesome!

Leigh Russell said...

It's always interesting to see what fellow bloggers look like. I love the drinking hat picture. Before you ask, I flatly refuse to reciprocate. You know the camera is said to love some people? Well, it hates me. I do NOT look as awful as that! My husband spent ages trying to take a photo of me that looked just plain ordinary OK. No can do. I've asked my publisher NOT to put my photo anywhere in my books. It wouldn't help to sell them. Might send a few people running from the bookshops, or provoke a few sniggers. In real life, I'm not bad looking. It's all the fault of the camera. Honestly.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pic of you with your hat! So stylish and gorgeous as always!

But I always thought of you as the kind of girl who was always confident when meeting new people, you know? HE HE HE...

Anyway, have a FAB weekend! I hope my inet connection at home is OK again. Haven't been able to get online since yesterday afternoon. I'm using the computer at work now since there's nobody coming yet.

- Amel's Realm

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Peace, what's that?! Happy weekend to you and your family.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Blur. I seem to be gazing into the distance, maybe I'm wondering where my next glass of wine is?!

I'll shoot some trees for you. Not literally though!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Kate. I'm glad you like them. I'm hoping to improve my shots, so watch this space! And a new camera when finance allow.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Leigh

Yep, I have wondered what you look like! Now I fear I will never know. Not even in your book cover you say? How's it all coming along? I'll pop over to you now and see if there is any news.
Just think, one day 'the book I am now reading' will be yours!

The World According To Me said...

Hi anon, otherwise known as Amel's Realm.

Hey, thanks for saying that about the pic. I seem to look a bit distracted, or maybe I always look like that?!

I hope you're on line again? Happy weekend.

Amel's Realm said...

Yep, finally I can be online again he he he he...YES!!!!