Tuesday, 26 August 2008

The edge of Heaven

He's still got it! And in my eyes he never lost it. He may have put it on hold, other musicians were discovered and other musicians disappeared, while he took a step out of the limelight, with a few personal hick ups along the way. But in my life he was never far away from my CD player and any musical discussions (as friends, blogger friends, family and colleagues know only too well).
I have been lucky enough to see him perform three times in the last two years, after several, long years, of concert absence and the world questioning if he would ever tour again. But I never gave up hope of seeing him shaking those hips and singing those familiar words on the stage once more.
And Sunday night, my dreams and my prayers were answered, as I joined thousands of fans at Earls Court to see and hear George Michael entertain us.
My cousins and my friend Vikki are just as bonkers about George as I am, and we impatiently sat in our seats, clutching cameras, mobile phones and sweets, checking the stage every two minutes, willing him to appear.
He was nearly forty five minutes late. Finally, at last, the lights dimmed, the stage light up, and Georges voice could be heard above the screams. 'Waiting For The Day' was his first song of the evening.
"Good Evening London. It's good to be home," were his very words after his opening song, before he launched into 'Fast Love' and I think every single person in the venue stood up, arms waving and legs dancing. I could hardly contain my excitement.
For the next two hours with a,"Back in a thirty minutes," thirty minute break, hit after hit was belted out, in perfect pitch, with slick stage graphics to compliment. I managed to exhaust my voice, hands, arms and legs with my enthusiasm.
My personal favourites were played, 'I'm Your Man' and 'Everything She Wants' and many, many, songs that have stretched over the past twenty five years. He even played a cover version of 'Feeling Good' which will apparently be free to download on Christmas Day, and he gave us first hand, inside information, that a new single will be released this December. (It's going to be a good Christmas.)
The final part of the concert slowed down with the classic 'Careless Whisper'. The audience swayed and sang along, and I couldn't help thinking what an enormous buzz it must be to sit down and write meaningful lyrics one day, and then another day to hear thousands of people eagerly recite the words back to you. At one point, while he was taking a deep breath, composing himself for his next line, the audience still and hanging onto the electrifying atmosphere, someone shouted out, "I love you George!" No, it wasn't me. Honest!
I think it would be safe to say the night was a phenomenal success. George did not disappoint. His voice was outstanding, his energy and charisma were captivating.
I left Earls Court with a sore throat, ears ringing, palms stinging and legs aching. But it was worth every single second and I would do it all again. And again. And again. And again.


Pictures of the day:

Sunday 24th August 2008.








I'm trying to upload a video but it doesn't seem to be working. Any tips anyone?

17 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

Your enthusiasm is contagious, I feel ashamed not to have paid him more attention.

I needed a bit of gay abandon, so thanks.

Bitter Chocolate said...

Aah, I LOVE LOVE LOVE huge concerts! The croud, the atmosphere, the following hype and exhaustion.... you got me feel all dreamy now!

jyankee said...

I LOVE concerts and I really love the buzz and excitement JUST BEFORE that star appears on stage! I am amazed you managed to get some shots... looks like you had good seats! The video? I don't use blogger anymore... I thought it was just a deal where you clicked on the "add video" icon and then chose the video in question... sorry there...not much help I'm afraid..

Nick Phillips said...

I haven't been to a concert in years. I'm glad to see that you had a great time :D

And are you sure it wasn't you shouting 'I love you Michael'? LOL!

Blur Ting said...

Oh, I'm just so happy to see you so happy at the concert.

Amel's Realm said...

WOW!!! What a night, eh? I'm GLAD you enjoyed it thoroughly he he he...

Have you tried uploading the video in photobucket first?

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

How are you bearing up?

My George enthusiasm can be very contagious! Sometimes I think my George appreciation is oozing out of my pores, spreading into the atmosphere, and floating around for other people to catch!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Bitter Chocolate

You can't beat the atmosphere of a concert. Especially a George Michael one! I read a review in the newspaper about the evening, and the writer stated she has been to many concerts at Earls Court, but never has she witnessed a singer have so much hold and control over an audience. Yep, he had amazing charisma and had us eating out of his palms!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Yep, I know what you mean, the excitement before the star appears is hard to beat! Actually that's what I took the video of, before George appeared on the stage. You can hear his voice but you can't see him until the end of the song, and it gives me goose bumps watching it back. I tried to download it by clicking on the video icon and attaching it, but nothing seems to happen. Oh well. Maybe I'll try again.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

I had a brilliant time thanks. It was a shame the night had to end, and I actually felt a little deflated the next day, where I had been looking forward to it for so long.

Honest, it wasn't me shouting 'I love you George!' My voice isn't loud enough!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Blur

I was on top of the world at the concert! It has to go down as one of the best nights out ever! I was dreading it ending!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Amel

I enjoyed every single second and I wish I could do it all over again!
Hmmm, I'm not sure about photobucket, I'll have a look. Thanks for the tip.

Amel's Realm said...

I've uploaded videos in photobucket and then copy and paste the codes in blogspot and it worked! ;-D

suchthings.ca said...

George Michaels. Now that brings back some highschool memories!

Krystle said...

I've never been to a big concert before, but it must be so exciting!! :) I'm glad you had the opportunity to go and see his concert..after following your blog for the past months (nearly a year already!) I know how much you love his music!

Glad you had a great time :)

The World According To Me said...

Hi suchthings

Good high school memories I hope!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Krystle

Oh I sure do love his music! I had an amazing time thanks. I definitely recommend a full scale concert!