Wednesday, 6 August 2008

The doctor will see you now

The avid reader of FPE will know all about my dizzy spells and my forthcoming doctors appointment. Well, today was the day that I visited the doctors to discuss the results of my blood test.
After panicking about the results, and then listening to the receptionist telling me not to panic but it seems from my notes that I am lacking B12, I can clarify the receptionist is correct. I have a B12 deficiency.
I feel slightly disappointed with my body I must admit, as I eat a healthy, balanced diet and I'm not one of these people who constantly chomp away on crisps and chips, declaring their hate for fruit and vegetables. Okay I may have the odd chocolate bar and slab of cheese, my two weaknesses, but after discussing my diet with the doctor it is clear that despite my efforts my body is not absorbing B12. Apparently, if I carry on missing this essential vitamin it could lead to pernicious anemia, and the consequences of this could be very dangerous, at one time fatal.
Therefore, for the next month I will have to participate in a B12 injection every week. Another blood test will be taken, my immune system monitored, and I could need further injections, every three months for the rest of my life. Phew. It's a darn good thing that I do not have a needle phobia, otherwise life could become very tricky.
However, I am warming to the idea of no dizzy spells, no energy slumps, a far superior memory and concentration span, and a general feeling of well-being. I could even turn into Superwoman, and inherit special super powers. X ray vision perhaps? The ability to fly around the planet in 5.5 seconds? Maybe I'll even dress in a red cloak and wear red knee high boots. Hmmm. Now there's a thought. You better watch out world, because here I come!

Picture of the day:

The spotty flower.

12 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

You should definitely get a pair of red knee high boots!

Glad to hear you will soon be back to full fettle.

Krystle said...

You were in my thoughts today! Glad to hear the visit to the doctor went well overall and it's nothing serious and it can be solved with the injections. Get Well Soon! Take Care :)

La delirante said...

Sorry to hear about the B12 deficency :( I had read your previous posts in google reader and you were in my thoughts too.

As Krystle mentioned, it is good that overall the visit went well and that the problem can be sorted with the injections.

Take care :)

jyankee said...

wow take care....glad to hear it's just a problem that can be taken care of and nothing serious!

shello said...

get well soon. hope you wont need further injections after the first four.

Blur Ting said...

Aw, I do hope to see you as Superwoman someday! Yah, having injections suck but hey, no more fainting spells! Maybe after a while, your condition will improve and you can do away with needles afterall. I went to read up on this and I guess for now, getting shots is the best way.Meanwhile perhaps you can include more eggs,milk and meat into your diet.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Eryl.

Hope you are well.

Hmm, you've got me thinking about red knee high boots now..!

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Krystle

How are you?

I'm lucky it's treatable and nothing too serious. I hope to be bouncing with energy and B12 very soon!

The World According To Me said...

Hello and thanks La Delirante.

How did your celebrating go?

Yep, I'm very grateful that I can sort this health blip out and be fighting fit soon.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee.

How are you?

Thanks for your comment. Hopefully I'll have it all under control very soon. I could have been told far worse news and I thank my lucky stars that I wasn't.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Seagrape.

I hope you haven't caught the sore throats and runny noses?

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

You never know, I could be Superwoman one day and saving this planet!! So it's best I take my injections and up the dosage in my diet. Saving the planet will take a lot of energy and vitamins!