Thursday, 10 July 2008

The rage

There is a terrifying rage sweeping the city of London. A potentially deadly, contagious and frightening rage. I hadn't realised the sheer density of it, until I witnessed it with my own innocent eyes.
I'm not talking about road rage or gang rage, although I am by no means dismissing these rages and their often tragic consequences.
I am referring to - umbrella rage. Never has a a piece of fabric and metal rods caused so much trouble!
Black ones, white ones, spotted ones, frog shaped ones, you can find them and many others on the streets of London. On their own they are harmless enough, but in the hands of the wrong person, it can be bedlam.
I've seen eyes in grave danger of being violently poked out by metal points. I've seen abruptly opened umbrellas scaring passers by, and turning the mildest mannered human into a furious, red faced creature, using the foulest language known to man.
I've seen the look of fury a water logged umbrella has caused, by dripping droplets of rain into an unsuspecting face, or trickling cold rain onto an unknown persons neck.
The umbrella rage is here. And according to the weather man and his monsoon rainfall weather forecast, it could be here for a while.
Wish me luck. It's a battlefield out there.

Picture of the day:

There are dark times ahead.

16 comments:

jyankee said...

uh oh ..... rainy season???

Blur Ting said...

Oh dear. London will turn into a sea of colours with moody people underneath.

Bitter Chocolate said...

Oh boy, best of luck out there... I refuse to walk too close to anyone with an umbrella no matter how much I trust them, they're always unpredictable... No idea what I do in these conditions, probably stay at home and concentrate on trying to teleport LOL

Krystle said...

I hope the bad weather won't last long! And yes..umbrellas can be really dangerous!

The World According To Me said...

I'm afraid so Jyankee. Still raining where you are?

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur,

Yep, moody miserable Londoners, underneath a sea of umbrellas!

The World According To Me said...

Hi bitter chocolate

Oh I'd love to be able to teleport! I can think of a million places I'd like to teleport to right now, far away from my desk and the umbrella rage!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Krystle

I'm praying for sunshine this weekend! I hope someone is listening...

Rebecca said...

I spoke to a colleague in London yesterday who told me that they had a month's worth of rain on Tuesday or so. Eeep!

And we New Yorkers do understand umbrella rage. Can you tell me why a skinny little thing needs a double wide golf umbrella???? So, you get a little wet. Who cares!! You're not made of cotton candy.Small streets, 8 million people, probably means you should use a small umbrella. Common sense. Not so common. Oh well. Hope you stay dry, and your eyes unharmed!

Amel's Realm said...

WOW...GOOD LUCK then and be careful! I've just written down my latest post HE HE HE HE HE HE...;-D

Nick Phillips said...

Umbrella's! I wouldn't be caught dead in one ... LOL!

Hope the weather lets up soon :D

Eryl Shields said...

I've had to give up with umbrellas being just the right height to poke everyone else in the eyes. Now I pull on a hat.

I rather like the image of a sea of multi-coloured brollies rolling through gloomy London.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Rebecca

Your information was correct, a months worth in one day! That is not healthy!

You are so right, why do people, especially small people, insist on using those stupidly over-sized umbrellas. On crowded streets. Does not make sense at all.

So far I have avoided my eye balls being poked out. A few near misses, but they are still there.

Hope you're okay.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks for the good luck wishes Amel.

Great news on your blog! I hope you are having fun.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

I remember reading that you're a fan of walking in the rain! But sometimes there is a little too much rain, and what started off as refreshing can be jolly uncomfortable. And wet. Wouldn't you agree? No?!

Be over to you in a jiffy....

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl. Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants.

Arr the hat, that's a good way to avoid the umbrella. And safer.

Okay, the image of the multi-coloured umbrellas can look pretty, I agree. Not so pretty when you have a near death experience!

I shall be visiting your world next...