Thursday, 31 July 2008

Mamma mia, here I go again

I can honesty say I have never been to the cinema and wanted to jump out of my seat and start dancing and singing. Except for last night. Last night was an exception. I saw Mama Mia!
If feel-good movies are your fang, and you're an Abba fan, you'll adore this movie. It stars Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnon and Julie Walters, to name just a few of the cast. Okay, some of the singing is dubious. Let me tell you that Pierce Brosnon does not have a classically trained singing voice, or even a mediocre, passable singing voice. But the cheerful songs, picturesque scenery and the general fun vibe of the film, allow you to excuse his singing voice.
Oh did I say I have never wanted to jump out of my SEAT at the cinema before? Silly me, what I meant to say was BEAN BAG. Last night I watched Mama Mia! on a bean bag, at the front row. It was the only position left remaining. You kind of get used to the bean bag, and you even get used to being so close to the screen that you think you are going to fall into the picture. Literally.
This is another example of me doing things from one extreme to the other.
Several years back my friends and I visited the theatre to see the stage adaption of Mama Mia! Alas the viewing and the sound were very limited to say the least. Our seats were rubbish, the back row, and it seemed the tallest people in the world were sitting in front of us. Mind you, a few of these tall people moved, much to my horror, as one of my friends (I won't mention her name, bless her) was a tad too enthusiastic with the wine and the singing, and kept jumping up in the wrong places and singing all the wrong words. At one point I tried to gag her with my scarf as I was aware of members of the audience tutting and looking slightly perplexed at my friends actions.
Last night watching Mama Mia! was a calmer affair. The big screen at the front row has never looked so big. There were no tall people in front of us. There was no one in front of us at all, just our bags, drinks, popcorn, doritos and cheese sauce. No jumping up and singing 'Dancing Queen' and 'Take a chance on me' at inappropriate times. Although my foot spent the majority of the time tapping on the floor, and I was tempted a few times to jump up and sing Abba songs at the top of my voice. But I do not have a passable singing voice either (you're not alone Pierce!) so luckily I stayed on my bean bag, slurping my drink and scoffing my food. What a great night.

Picture of the day:

The lilies.

12 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

I WAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNTTTTT to see the movie! WANT WANT WANT he he he...

Gotta wait for a while, though he he...anyway, LOVE the pic and glad you had funnnnnn...and I LOVE Abba! My Dad used to put the tape in our car every day when he took us to school he he he he...

Blur Ting said...

Oh wow, beanbag! That's something new I learned today. We don't have that here.

I remember watching the musical Les Miserables with my mum in London. We went there just before the show started and only managed to get the seats that were partially blocked by a column. We enjoyed the show nonetheless.

Nick Phillips said...

I LOVE Abba, must go catch the movie when it comes out here. I actually didn't even know that had a movie on Abba ...

Eryl Shields said...

I love Abba too and would love to go and see Mama Mia, I wonder if I could persuade my husband to go! I used to go an see such films with my two best friends but one is getting ready to move to New Zealand with his new boyfriend and the other has just had a baby, don't you just hate it when your friends grow up and move on?

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

The movie is Fun with a capital F!
I love Abba too, I have the Abba Gold CD which I've nearly worn out!
Sounds like you have good Abba memories of your car journeys with your Dad...

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

I've got to say, it's the first time I've sat at the cinema on a bean bag! But they were the only seating left, and they were cheaper than normal seats!
So you enjoyed Les Miseables? I haven't see that. I do love the theatre, but it does help to have good seats, without any columns blocking your viewing!

Happy weekend.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

Mama Mia! Is set on a Greek island and written around a wedding, with Abba songs bursting out at every opportunity! I recommend it!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

Try and persuade your hubby to go with you. It's a bit cheesy, but it's harmless fun with fantastic songs!

Oh I know what you mean re friends. I have a wide circle of lovely friends but they are dotted all over the place now, and I don't get to see the ones with hubbies and kiddies and responsibilities as much as I'd like to.

La delirante said...

I really want to go to the cinema and watch it :) I am an ABBA fan :) my parents' fault ;)

The World According To Me said...

Hi La Delirante

You should go! You'll walk out of that cinema with a big smile on your face!

Abba rule!

Sheilalu said...

hello! I have seen the movie too and I enjoyed watching it. Indid it's adorable. I still can't imagine Pierce Brosman singing, the former James Bond at that. But as you've said we can excuse his voice. hehehe.

I love ABBA but I like their version of the Abba songs here in the movie. I'm planning to buy the sountrack of this movie.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Sheilalu

Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

It's a great film and sound track. Even if Peirce can't sing! What would James Bond think?!