Tuesday, 29 July 2008

I seem to have lost something vital

It's a shame it had to end. But they do say, all good things must come to an end. My annual leave / break from the norm is now officially over. Until the next one.
It's been fun travelling via boat, buying arts and crafts, running around in a maze, reliving banquets from olden days, picnicking on stunning grounds, lunching with my cousin and playing with her energetic kids. "Can we sit down for a while," I found myself saying a few times to the energetic kids. Where do they get their energy from? Splashing in a paddling pool, chasing after a ball, racing up and down the garden. I was worn out.
I also spent an afternoon with my nan in her nursing home. My dear shrinking nan. Every time I see her I wonder how she can possibly be smaller than the last time I saw her. But due to loss of appetite and lack of walking, her frame is decreasing. She still has a huge smile on her face though, which is some consolation.
And so here I am after a seven day break, back at work, staring out the window into the outside world, and wondering when I can take my next holiday. The first day back is always the hardest, wouldn't you agree?
I know I've got to stop staring enviously out the window and stop comparing the office to some kind of maximum security prison. So I'm off to find something to gradually ease me back into work mode. I know all too well what it is I need to find. I'm off to find enthusiasm. I'm positive I had it before my holiday, therefore it must be around here somewhere. Surely it's just a matter of searching for it. Now where shall I look first? Any ideas dear readers?

Picture of the day:

Happy flowers.

8 comments:

shello said...

hey, at least you have a window in your office ;D

Blur Ting said...

I like the phrase "Looking for enthusiasm". I often find myself trying to do that too. Not always successful I am afraid.

Holidays does things like that to people. Instead of feeling energised and rejunevated when you're back at work, you feel wistful and listless. I am like that too.

I hope you find your enthusiasm soon. Maybe in your crafty projects?

Nick Phillips said...

Well, you're not going to find 'enthusiasm' from me, cos I can't find it myself ... LOL!

Well, at least you did have beautiful holiday, ya? Hoping to see some pictures of it soon ...

And you have a window in your office? LOL!

Eryl Shields said...

Do you have a stationery cupboard, perhaps your enthusiasm is amongst the coloured paper-clips? Or, maybe the friendly chap at your favourite coffee/book/craft shop is looking after it for you.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Shello

You're right, I should be grateful for small mercies!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

I'm still looking for enthusiasm! But I must say today has been more successful than yesterday.
Holidays are great at the time, but I agree you can return to work feeling wistful and listless. Or telling everyone that you need a holiday to get over your last holiday!

Funny you should mention a craft project. I'm about to start one for a wedding present on Saturday. If it doesn't look like a five year old has made it, I might even take a pic for FPE!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

Are you having trouble too? Maybe we should place an advertisement in a newspaper, stating:

LOST - ENTHUSIASM! HASN'T BEEN SEEN FOR A WHILE BUT GREATLY MISSED. GENEROUS AWARD WILL BE GIVEN TO THE PERSON WHO CAN FIND IT!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Eryl

Hmmm, my enthusiasm could well be hiding in the stationery cupboard. Or maybe I've filed it under 'E'?
But you're right, it's more likely to be found in my fav coffee/book/craft shop. I never seem to loose it in those kind of places!