Friday, 25 July 2008

Hampton Court Palace

The last time I visited Hampton Court Palace I was dressed as a servant. It was a school trip, and I must put my hands up and confess that I can hardly remember a single thing about the day, apart from wearing a hideous outfit and feeling rather self conscious.
In my younger days I didn't find history particularly interesting, much to my teachers and parents exasperation. These days I love walking through time and I find the past a fascinating world to learn and explore.
Yesterday I visited Hampton Court Palace again, with a dear friend, and read and learnt many dates and facts. We entered grand rooms and not so grand rooms, imagining royal families, knights, servants and actors who had filled the palace with laughter, entertainment, tears and deceit. We then appreciated the amazing gardens, managed not to get lost in the maze, and had a picnic in the beautiful grounds.
Personally I think history could be compared to fine wine - it improves vastly with age.

Pictures of the day:

Hampton Court Palace.


The wine cellar.


The tudar kitchen.


The horses in the garden.


The trees in the garden.


The immacualtely kept, vibrant gardens.










The maze. Erm, which way now?!

10 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

WOW! FABULOUS pics! I'm amazed, esp. at the garden. So well-kept. Tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk...THANKS for this tour! I'm also like you...I was never good at history, but I find it more interesting now than before ha ha ha ha...

Have a FANTASTIC weekend!!!

Krystle said...

Great pics! :) Last March I was staying in Walton on Thames. On one of the days I was staying there I decided to visit Kingston on Thames, and on my way there I saw Hampton Court Palace, but unfortunately I didn't have time to visit :( I hope I'll manage to visit one day as it seems like a lovely place..and it has lovely gardens..something which I extremely enjoy :)

Blur Ting said...

Thanks for bringing us along on your trip. The pictures tell a thousand stories....did I get it right? Enjoyed it as much as you did!

Bitter Chocolate said...

Oh wow, thanks so much for posting these pics, I was staying in Hampton Court for two months when I was 17 but I was too preocuppied with the beauty of Central London that I never actually visited Hampton Court¡

Kate said...

I should ask Simon if we could go to Hampton Court when we go to England next year. I haven't been, yet. Is there a lot of the inside open to the public?

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

Very well kept gardens. I’m sure the gardeners work very hard to keep them in that condition.
Hope you had a fab weekend?

The World According To Me said...

Hi Krystle

I recommend Hampton Court Palace. The setting, the history, the tours. I think it’s a must see.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

Yep, pictures can tell a thousand stories. It’s always nice to show fellow bloggers the sights!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Bitter Chocolate

If you get a chance to come back to London, Hampton Court Palace is well worth the visit.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate

I feel like a walking, talking advertisement for Hampton Court Palace! Yes there are many rooms open to the public, unfortunately most of them don’t allow photographs so I couldn’t show you them.
If you do visit HCP I recommend the tours as the tour guides are full of fascinating facts (and dressed in costume!).