Friday, 4 July 2008

Fancy a tour?

The other day, during my lunch hour, a tourist asked me where they could buy a pot of anti-wrinkle cream. I wasn’t sure whether to be offended or flattered that I was asked this question. In other words, do I look old and knackered and in need of anti-wrinkle cream? Or do I look youthful and line-free, thanks to anti-wrinkle cream?
Another thought which entered my mind was this – you’ve travelled all the way to London and all you’re interested in is cream for your wrinkles?! What about Buckingham Palace? London Zoo? Madame Tussuad's? Or strawberries and cream at Wimbledon? Please note the weather forecast is wet, therefore it must be Wimbledon tennis season.
Anyway, this cosmetic request interrupted my insignificant day dream, and I began to see London through the eyes of a tourist. Or through the eyes of a tour guide. And believe me, if I was your tour guide, I would be directing you to far more interesting places than a chemist which was offering you a supposedly miracle cure for the aging process.
So adamant was I that I could find these interesting and historic places, I started taking photographs to prove my point.
Allow me, dear readers, to take you on The Flying Pink Elephants mini tour of London. The London land marks situated near my office, and on my journey home to Essex.

For entertainment.
The London Palladium. Now showing the musical: The Sound of Music.
In the 1880's the site of this theatre was home to Hengler's Circus. The current theatre was built in 1910 and presented variety. It was originally named 'The Palladium' before changing to the now familiar name 'The London Palladium' in 1934.
The London Palladium became familiar to many millions in the mid-1950's with the weekly television variety show Sunday Night at The London Palladium - a format that was revived some years later in the late 1980's with Live From The Palladium. The theatre has also been used for concerts - perhaps the most famous one being the 1960's Judy Garland/Liza Minnelli concert which was televised on television.


For food.
The city's present Chinatown is in the Soho area of the City of Westminster. It contains a number of Chinese restaurants, bakeries, supermarkets, souvenir shops, and other Chinese-run businesses.
The first area in London known as Chinatown was located in the Limehouse area of London at the start of the 20th century. The present Chinatown did not start to be established until the 1970s.


To shop.
Hamleys is one of the world's largest toy shops.
Hamleys is named after William Hamley, who founded a toy shop called 'Noah's Ark' at High Holborn in London in 1760. A branch in Regent Street was opened in 1881, and the Holborn branch was destroyed by fire in 1901 and was relocated. The business has survived in various forms to the present day, and at one time was the largest toy shop in the world. Hamleys moved to its current Regent Street premises in 1981.
The store is considered one of London's major tourist attractions, and receives about five million visitors a year.


To relax.
Henry VIII appropriated The Regent's Park for use as a hunting ground, which he considered to be an invigorating ride from Whitehall Palace. At that time, the only boundaries were a ditch and a rampart. If he was here today, Henry would hardly recognise the stylish gardens and sports fields that now stand in its place.
The Regent's Park, 166 hectares (410 acres), includes stunning rose gardens with more than 30,000 roses of 400 varieties. The Park is the largest outdoor sports area in London with 'The Hub' a community sports pavilion and sports pitches, nearly 100 acres available for sports fans of all abilities.


For history.
Her Majesty's Royal Palace and Fortress, more commonly known as the Tower of London (and historically as 'The Tower'), is a historic monument in central London, on the north bank of the River Thames. The Tower of London is often identified with the White Tower, the original stark square fortress built by William the Conqueror in 1078. However, the tower as a whole is a complex of several buildings set within two concentric rings of defensive walls and a moat.


Now tell me, was that more entertaining than a pot of cream? I hope so.

14 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

DEFINITELY!!! The tour is MUCH more interesting than anti-aging cream he he he he he...

THANKSSSS!!! I ENJOYED this tour! ;-D If I ever go to England, I should visit you he he he...

jyankee said...

WOW! Thanks for the tour! Definitely better than the anti-wrinkle cream..and since I've never been...I'm with AR...I'd look you up and get you to take me around if I'm ever in your area... LOL....

shello said...

great idea! i might do the same thing :)
oh and it's nice to 'see' you again :D

Blur Ting said...

Thanks for the tour. I really must go back to London one day. When I was there, I simply went ohh and ahh at every turn because I love the architecture!

Nick Phillips said...

I've always said I've loved London. And I intend to go there one day in my lifetime :D And I won't even ask for anti wrinkle cream ... LOL!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Amel

Glad you agree! Who needs anti-wrinkle cream when you can go to a toy store and eat Chinese food!

If you come and visit me, I'll show you lots of good sights!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Jyankee

You're welcome. Glad you liked it. Yep, come and look me up and I'll be your tour guide!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Shello

Nice to see you again too.
Would like to see your tour guide, I bet you have loads of interesting places and imaginative pics.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

When was you last in London? Did you get to see many places?
I agree, some of the buildings are a work of art.

The World According To Me said...

Hello there Nick

You should come one day! That was merely a dip in the ocean of places to visit. I still haven't seen them all and I've been working up here more years than I care to remember..!

Krystle said...

That's really strange for tourists to be asking for anti-wrinkle cream! lol

The tour is great :) You made me miss London hehe..I've been there 7 times, and I can never get enough of London..so many places to visit!

I hope that one day I can fulfill my dream of working there! Ideally I would work in London but live somewhere outside London, even though it would entail commuting..we'll see..hopefully an opportunity will come up in the very near future :)

The World According To Me said...

Hi Krystle

Yeah, strange tourist request!

7 times, anyone would think you like London! I agree though, so many places to visit. There's still places I'd like to see.

I hope an opportunity will come your way too..

La delirante said...

Wow!! Thanks a lot for the tour!! You know? This afternoon while walking home in the heat of summer I was day dreaming of going to London :)

The World According To Me said...

Hi La Delirante

Glad you approved of the tour. And funny how you were day dreaming about London...