Wednesday, 30 July 2008

The doctor will discuss it further with you

As Vic Reeves once sang, "I'm so dizzy my head is spinning, like a whirlpool it never ends." Which is all very well if you are referring to matters of the heart, but not very good if you are referring to dizzy spells which are causing you to collapse on pavements and trains.
Yep, I'm afraid to inform FPE that recently I have been experiencing dizzy spells. One spell was rather frightening and an ambulance rushed to the scene to check my blood pressure, sugar level and my general state of health.
I then had another spell the other day on a train, which was rather unpleasant too. I could feel the blood draining from my face, my breathing became irregular, the panic set in and the collapsing began.
It's not a new thing either, over the years I've had a few fainting episodes. Getting up too quick and not eating breakfast have been the main culprits in the past. On one particular day I was tucked up in bed when I heard a knock at the front door. I jumped out of my bed and ran down the stairs before the knocker left the premises. I enthusiastically opened the front door, and began to feel hot and weak. My next door neighbour was standing at the other side of the door, explaining he was about to cut a tree down which had overgrown into our front garden. I then promptly fainted. I came to on the hallway carpet with his worried face peering down at me, and then I heard him joke to my mum that I must have been very attached to the tree for his news to cause such a reaction! Ha, ha, Mr next door neighbour, quite the little joker aren't you!
On a more serious note, after a couple of other fainting dilemmas on the trains, my concerned mother made me take a diabetes test as diabetes runs riot in our family. Luckily it was negative. So we came to the conclusion that breakfast was absolutely essential for me in the mornings, and I needed to slow down my pace of life.
I've had a clear run for a while and the dizziness and fainting had been firmly placed in the past. Until recently. Recently I've had two scary experiences and a couple of near misses. So I decided to go for a blood test last week. I've now received a telephone call from the doctors receptionist, saying the doc has found something which he would like to discuss with me.
Oh no, I couldn't help thinking to myself. What's wrong with me? Have I been diagnosed with a mysterious deadly disease which has baffled all medical experts? Will I die a long and painful and weird death? Or maybe I'm anemic or diabetes has finally caught up with me? Trying not to panic, I asked the receptionist if she could discuss the results with me. "Don't panic," was her reply. "It states on your notes that it's not urgent, and B12 has been written down. I'm not sure if there is anything else, but if you'd like to come in next Wednesday at 8.40am the doctor will discuss it further with you."
I ignored the "I'm not sure if there is anything else" part and investigated B12 on the Internet.
I suspect all you intelligent people out there know about B12, but according to the Internet B12 is important for the normal functioning of the brain and nervous system, and for the formation of blood. The symptons for the lack of B12 include breathlessness, dizziness and palpitations. I also read that forgetfulness and depression can be signs that the person in question requires extra B12.
Well, they hit the nail on the head with the forgetfulness. I can be incredibly forgetful. And I was reminded of this by my friend Caron last night. We met at the train station for a drink and catch up, and then headed back to her house for dinner. We were discussing her engagement (congratulations honey!) and my possible lack of B12. I mentioned forgetfulness as a symptom, to which my lovely friend who knows me only too well, and has known me for a very long time, replied, "Forgetfulness? In that case, you must have been lacking B12 for years!"
She's dead right though.

Picture of the day:

Flower time.

10 comments:

Eryl Shields said...

Cripes, how awful. I really do hope that whatever is wrong can be dealt with swiftly and painlessly.

Love that flower, is it a dahlia? I must get some in my garden.

Blur Ting said...

For a while, you got me really worried there. If the doc says it is not urgent and schedules for an appointment a week later, you'll be fine. But it is indeed a worrying problem. Do be diligent with whatever supplements the doc is going to prescribe you. I'll like to see the pink elephant in the pinkest of health!

Hazel said...

love the flower so much

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Eryl. I hope it can be dealt with swiftly and painlessly too. I have been told not to panic, so hopefully all will make sense when I see the doc and all will be treatable asap.

I believe the pretty pink flower is a dahlia?

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

I can be a tad dramatic sometimes! But all joking aside, it's a horrible feeling when you feel yourself about to pass out!
But as you say, I'm seeing the doc in a weeks time and I've been told it's not urgent, and he knows best! If there was something horrifically wrong with me, I'm sure he would want to see me pronto.

The pinkest of health sounds good to me! Thanks for saying that.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Hazel

How are you? Glad you like the flower. It was growing in the grounds at Hampton Court Palace.

Krystle said...

I'm sorry to hear this! I hope the appointment at the doctor goes well..I'll be thinking about you! Take Care

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Krystle. That's nice of you. I'll let you know how it goes. Hope you are okay.

三杯雞Sam said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

宮保雞丁Alex said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社