Thursday, 19 June 2008

The longest day in history

It’s been a very, very long day today. I’m sure that someone has been playing a naughty trick on me. I’m convinced that while I wasn’t looking, this trickster thought it would be funny to turn back time. What other explanation is there for the longest day in history?
I suppose the fact that I am tired could be playing an essential part in this long day. Tired as a result of a late night with my friend Claire last night. I must stop doing this during the week, but it’s too darn tempting sometimes.
My friend Claire now lives in a charming village in the next county. “I could live here!” I found myself saying. Actually I say that a lot. “How much do you think that house would cost?” I enquired, as I pointed at a tiny but cute cottage. “An absolute fortune,“ was my friend’s reply. In other words, even in a debt-free life I wouldn’t be able to afford it. Okay, maybe I couldn’t live here.
“I could live here too!” was my reaction to my friends pent house suite in this charming village. Impressively large and stylish it is. I immediately imagined myself strolling through the rooms, with a glass of wine in my hand, and cooking an amazing but surprisingly simple meal in the kitchen.
“Wow, this is my dream kitchen,” I said, as we entered the kitchen.
Pasta, salad and wine were enjoyed in my dream kitchen. We then moved into the living room to spread out on the sofas and watch Big Brother. Big Brother was pure background noise of course, our conversation was far more interesting.
“I love this room too,” said I, with regards to the living room. “And look at the view of the lake!” The view of the lake was very pleasant and relaxing.
Yep, I think you could say I approve of my friends new living accommodation. One small matter though – I do wish we’d gone to bed earlier. All that talking, enthusiasm and lack of sleep has worn me out. It’s been a very, very long day.
But at long last, I’m off to the train station, and I have another dinner date at another friends house tonight. Do I ever learn? However, I have promised myself – I will go to bed at a sensible time tonight. You have my word on that. Otherwise, feel free to dish out some kind of punishment for my lack of will power and my stupidity. I’ll let you know how it goes!
One last thing, if I find the culprit who turned back time today, I’ll have a few words to say to him. He shouldn’t be allowed to get away with it. It's a dirty trick and I'm not finding it funny at all.
See you tomorrow, dearest readers.

Picture of the day:

In the garden too.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

You know, I've always suspected there was a nasty little troll out there with nothing better to do than add minutes to our day and then laugh at our misery! Harumph. He is the evil twin to the little bastard who steals minutes when we aren't looking, making time fly by by when we went it to last just a little longer...

Enjoy your social life. Get a little sleep here and there. I've been known to say, ah screw it, plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead. They made a country song out of that line too, lol.

Kate said...

Hey, is that flower in the picture the one called a "bottle brush"?

JYankee said...

awesome!play while you can...soon there won't be enough energy left for it!

Nick Phillips said...

I've had days when the time moved sop slow I thought it would actually stop moving completely.

Well, the bright side is today is Friday and the weekends here :D

Blur Ting said...

Oh, that sounds so familiar. I used to wonder how much this house or that house cost and think "I can never afford it..."

But if you are determined, you'll find a way to own a house one day. It may not be the perfect one, but it is a good start. That's what I am doing now.

The World According To Me said...

Rebecca, I like your style!

The time twins! They are messing with our head and causing time to fly by or drag by, depending on our fame of mind.

My friend used to say, "Sleep is for wimps!"

The World According To Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The World According To Me said...

Hi Kate

I've checked with my father and apparently it's called Hawk Weed. The Latin name is Hier-ac-ium.
I wasn't sure what it was until then, hence I called it 'in the garden too.'

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Well apparently I have the energy of a 77 year old woman! But that's after I have been playing!

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

Arr, the slow motion and time stood still days!

Yippee, that is a very bright side - it's Friday. Happy Friday.

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Blur. Determination gets you far!
And well done with purchasing your place. I know what a struggle it can be,