Thursday, 26 June 2008

Old habits

If I asked my lovely friends to describe me, I have a funny feeling they would mention such things as: Likes to take photographs, has a deep rooted fascination with George Michael, not very good at parking her car, eats a lot of cheese, and last but not least - her bags are always on the large size.
I'm a large bag junkie. In my defence, I do spend a high percentage of my life sleeping in friends spare rooms and on friends sofas, therefore I need a relatively large bag to hold my cosmetics and spare clothes. Plus, my reading material at the time, brolly, diary, purse, camera, mobile phone, and so the list goes on. I do not travel light. I am definitely a 'just in case I need it' kind of girl.
Recently this not being able to travel light fact has got on my nerves. And it's been hurting my shoulder.
I've been rather frustrated with not being able to allocate anything in my large bag. It was only the other day I announced to the sales manager in the lift, "I've forgotten my purse!" I spent an hour feeling distressed at the thought of no money for any mid afternoon snacks, and trying to convince myself that I must have left my purse on my bed and not in the middle of the road. Then I found my purse - at the bottom of my bag. It was there all along! Mischievously hiding from me. It's not the first time this has happened. "I know it's here somewhere," I have said many a time, with my head inside my bag and my hands desperately rummaging through the millions of contents.
Enough is enough. I can't cope with the panic attacks every time I think I've lost something, and the hours wasted with my head and hands in my bag, and the shoulder ache from the colossal weight of my large bag.
So, can you guess what I bought yesterday? Go on, I dare you, see if you can predict my purchase.
Nope, it wasn't a caravan, or a rubber tree plant. Do I look like I have money to buy a caravan? And although I agree a rubber tree plant would look good in my room, I didn't buy one. Guess again please. Did I hear someone say the mortal words: "new, smaller bag?" Well done! You have guessed correctly. See me after this post for a small prize.
I am now the owner of a brown bag. A brown bag which is rather compact compared to my usual standard size. I must say I am very pleased with this purchase. My shoulder is thanking me for it too.
I'm looking at this bag now, admiring the colour, size and style. I'm now looking at other girls bags in the office. Hmm. My new bag may be considerably smaller than my normal size, but compared to other bags in the office, it's not exactly petite. However, it's a step in the right direction for carrying less things and preventing repetitive strain injury. It's still quite big though. Oh well, I guess I can still use it when I kip in my friends spare rooms and on their sofas.
What's that saying which springs to mind? Arr, that's it - old habits die hard.

Pictures of the day:

After the shops I went to the park.


My feet and new bag at the park.

8 comments:

Krystle said...

lol:) You're exactly like me! I tend to carry loads of things around "just in case I need them" :) The bigger the bag is, the more things i mange to put in it..it seems like it's never enough:) Well Done on your new purchase bdw the bag looks lovely!

Blur Ting said...

Nice bag at a nice park! I carry a big bag full of rubbish inside. I also realise that if you carry a small bag, you'll still survive. You have no space to put in any junk and still have all the essentials inside.

jyankee said...

wth... i tried to comment but blogger was being nasty...i was just saying that i usually carry next to nothing, but that changed with the existence of Baby Bean...but now I make HER carry everything! and how about keeping some of your stuff at your friends places???

Nick Phillips said...

I do so love the parks you guys have there. I could spend all day in it. Unfortunately the parks here are really nothing to shout about. Maybe I should pack my things and move over there ... :D

a happy weekend to you.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Krystle

Thanks for the bag compliment.

So you're a 'just in case kind of girl' too?!

Enjoy your weekend.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Blur

Yeah I need to learn that I can still survive with a smaller bag! The world will not stop turning and I'll make it through the day!

Happy weekend to you.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Spangleystar has had problems posting too. Sounds like blogger has been naughty and been playing silly games.

Can Baby Bean carry some of my junk too?!

That's not a bad idea, leaving some stuff at my friends...

Hope you have a fab weekend.

The World According To Me said...

Hello Nick

The grass is always greener on the other side!
The picture of the park is the one nearest to my office, but believe me, as soon as the sun comes out, every inch of grass is covered with people desperate for some sunshine!

Have a great weekend.