Tuesday, 27 May 2008

Watching the world go past

I took a step outside of my busy-at-the-moment life to watch the world go past. And so the nice mechanic man (also known as friend's hubby) could MOT my car and and solve the mystery of the peculiar noise.
To watch the world go past, I went to a French cafe for food and drink. I suddenly felt very hungry as my greedy eyes spied the freshly baked rolls, and the delicately decorated cakes. There was even a little house made of cakes! And my nose inhaled the pleasant aroma of the freshly ground coffee.
After changing my mind half a dozen times (too much choice!), I ordered an egg baguette, a cappuccino and a strawberry mousse, and chose one of the pavement tables to eat, drink, and watch.
Couples walking hand in hand, mothers with push chairs, and elderly ladies laden with shopping bags all walked past, lost in their own lives and completely oblivious of me.
I sipped my cappuccino and munched on my baguette, enjoying my time-out and relishing in the luxury of watching other peoples busy Saturday afternoon. I finished my French cafe date with the delicious strawberry mousse. It looked almost too good to eat. Almost, but not quite.
Then I noticed the time. Oh dear, I thought to myself, I must have been relaxing for far too long! I have birthday presents, wrapping paper, card-making material, and toiletries to buy. Plus a trip to the bank for the dreaded car bill, and then I have to walk back to the garage to collect my vehicle before the nice mechanic man wants to go home.
It was time to leave, allowing other people to sit at my table. Allowing other people to watch me walk past numerous times, lost in my own life, completely oblivious of them, on my busy Saturday afternoon.
But the good news is - my car is legal to drive, and it sounds like a normal car again. Not a single peculiar noise can be heard.
It's all fixed thanks to the nice mechanic man. Thanks friends hubby, I am very grateful. Even if it has left a rather large dent in my bank balance.

Pictures of the day:

The cake house.


Almost too good to eat.

12 comments:

Krystle said...

Glad to hear you sorted the car problem..

Those cakes and strawberry mousse look yummy!! :)

shello said...

my kind of afternoon. except for the car thing. glad it's fixed.

La delirante said...

Good to hear the car issue has been sorted out :) Isn't it nice just to kick back, relax and watch the world go past? :) How I wish I could have a piece of the house made of cakes :) I would like to bite the picture LOL

Blur Ting said...

I would love to join you and have a nice time watching the world go by, and pink elephants fly.
:-)

Kate said...

OMG, the strawberry mousse is a work of art.

Spangleystar said...

I'm so heading there for that strawberry mousse - it is beautiful. Have you ever considered a change of career to food photography ? Take a course I'm sure you'd be ace !!!
Working from home today - just so that I can comment on FPE !!!
;o)
xxx

The World According To Me said...

Hi Krystle

How's everything going? The digging? The exams?

I can confirm that the mousse was yummy! I wouldn't have minded a nibble on the cake house, but I left it in one piece!

The World According To Me said...

Hello Shello

I think I should do it more often! The car is drivable again thanks.

Has it stopped raining in your part of the world?

The World According To Me said...

Hello La Delirante

I'm all for relaxing! Need to do it more often I think. It's good for the soul!
Snap, every time I look at the cake house I feel hungry!

Hope all is okay with you?

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

How's the furniture hunting progressing?

Imagine it - both of us sitting and watching the world go past, taking sneaky bites out of our mousses, and then suddenly a flying pink elephant floats past! I think I would question what they had put in the mousse!

The World According To Me said...

Kate.

How was trip? Must pay you a visit.

You're right, it was a piece of art!

The World According To Me said...

Howdy Spangley!

Appreciate the working from home comment!
I've actually been looking into attending a photography course locally, and Eve and Claire have expressed an interest in joining me...

Hope your pains have eased up?

Xxx