Tuesday, 6 May 2008

My bank holiday weekend

Essex is the name of the sometimes misunderstood county that I live in. Have you ever heard of the Essex girl jokes? If not, I would rather not repeat one, as they do not paint a pretty picture or display us in a flattering light.
If I ever have to say where I live to a non Essex person, my answer is often met with a snigger and conclusions are immediately jumped to. It can be increasingly frustrating, and I find myself saying, “But have you ever been there?” Normally they haven’t, they are stereotyping me thanks to the Essex girl jokes, and it can drive me nuts.
(By the way, my friend Annie and I once appeared in a local newspaper, defending our county. There was a picture of us grinning at the camera, but the reporter got our ages and occupations mixed up. And they mis-quoted me so I sounded rather daft.)
Fighting back from these Essex misconceptions, there are some very desirable parts, and a couple of these parts I visited over the bank holiday weekend. I took a drive out with a friend to two villages, Thaxted and Fitchingfield, and we had a a very pleasant weekend, snapping away on our cameras, and absorbing the atmosphere and history.

See, we’re not all beer guzzling, bimbo loud mouths. Please take my (Essex girl) word for it.
And would my white stilettos and gold fake designer handbag ever lie to you?

Thaxted street.


The 200 year old tea room. Two cream teas please.


Can you guess which highwayman (he died in 1739) lived here?


Here’s a clue.


The Guildhall, built by the Guild of Cutlers six hundred years ago, and still in active use.


The parish church of St John the Baptist, Our Lady and St Laurence. First built in 1340.


John Webb's windmill. Built in 1804 by John Webb, a local farmer and landowner.


The pretty village of Fitchingfield.


Makes a change from swimming around all day.


Postcard picture houses.





Can you see me, toasting your good health and the Essex life?

19 comments:

Jayden said...

You wouldn't find a 200-year-old tea house anywhere near Australia :P

And m'dear everyone from an English background is beer-guzzling!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jayden

Thanks for visiting. I must come over to you next.

He, he, the beer guzzling. Actually I'm more of a wine swigger!

seagrape said...

i see you! i see you!
what a charming village, i'd love to stop by for a nice cup of tea :)

Krystle said...

Great pics :) The places you visited look beautiful. I haven't visited that part of the UK yet, so Essex is now on my to visit list :)

Rebecca said...

Wow. Very nice pictures. I have never heard an Essex girl joke, but do understand the stigma borne of where one lives. I see people all the time jump to some pretty rash conclusions based on the fact that I live in New York City. They are always based in ignorance. And here's to wine swigging! Cheers :)

r.

Blur Ting said...

Beautiful place. Looks like the kind of place I would love to visit!

JYankee said...

i also do not know anything about the "essex girl" image..but oh well... i'd love to visit there one day!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape

Glad you spotted me!

Would have been great if you had stopped by for a cup of tea!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Krystle

How are you?

I can recommend the Essex villages I visited on the bank holiday weekend!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

Glad you think so. And, can you believe this, the weather was glorious!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Rebecca

People love to brand people, don’t they, and it can often be so unjustified!

When I was writing the post I wondered if the Essex girl jokes had reached over seas, and I must say I’m relived to hear you haven’t heard of the stigma!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

Basically a ‘typical’ Essex girl is suppose to wear white stilettos, fake designer gear, not particularly intelligent and rather free and easy with her actions! Charming hey! Not like me at all! (I own a pair of red stilettos though!)

Spangleystar said...

Sorry but I need to share my favourite Essex Girl joke...

What do an Essex Girl and Dog poo have in common ?
The older they get the easier they are to pick up !

Anyway I can say this as I am a girl from Essex but not an 'Essex Girl' and thankfully none of our Essex born girl friends are either !

xxx

Spangleystar said...

and it's who you are not where you're from that counts xxx

Amel's Realm said...

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the pictures!!! VERY LOVELY!!! ;-D

And no, I've never heard any Essex jokes, but I can guess what they're like he he he...

I wonder which came first: the word sex or the county Essex?

The World According to Me said...

Hello Spangleystar!

Thanks for sharing that joke! It did actually make me laugh!

You're right - it's who you are not where you're from that counts.

xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hey Amel

Glad you like the pics and glad the Essex girl jokes have not reached your part of the world!

Keep counting those blessings.

La delirante said...

I don't know about the Essex girl jokes :( I think I will google it afterwards...just to have an idea I mean...

Your city looks really cool :)

The World According to Me said...

Hello La Delirante

I dread to think what google will make of the Essex girl jokes, actually I might investigate!

Must visit you soon, sorry haven't had much time to blog hop recently. Hope you're okay.