Friday, 30 May 2008

The magical merry-go-round

I feel like a new woman today. The reason for this new zest of life? I’ve had my hair cut and coloured. My hair is blonder and shorter (but not too short) and I challenge anyone who tries to dampen my spirits today.
It aint gonna happen! It’s Friday and I have a new hair-do, thanks to the nice hairdresser who came to my parents house last night.
The nice hairdresser who spent eight hours in my parents kitchen. Yep, that is correct – eight hours. Wow, that’s a long hair cut, you may be thinking. Let me explain. The hairdresser is a family friend. She arrived at my parents house in the afternoon to cut and colour my mothers hair. Then I arrived home from work, we all ate dinner together, and I swapped chairs with my mother so the hairdresser could concentrate on me.
Not surprisingly, hair styles were discussed in the kitchen last night, and I was reminded of the time I was fourteen.
At the age of fourteen I had long, permed (it was the 80’s - the decade that fashion forgot), naturally light brown hair. One night I stayed at my friends house and I reached the (stupid) conclusion that a bottle of ‘sun-in’ would turn me into a blond bombshell. I washed my hair and started spraying the lethal liquid. Needless to say, I got carried away. I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed, and then I blow-dried. And then I screamed when I realised my hair had turned the colour of bright orange and was the texture of burnt wool.
“My mum is gong to kill me!” I remember saying.
She didn’t kill me (I'm still alive and writing a blog!) but she also screamed when she saw my hair and booked me a hairdressers appointment immediately. I had it all chopped off. It was a very severe style, even the hairdresser looked uncertain about the outcome.
I remember going to school with my new severe style and feeling like a freak show. Teenagers can be very cruel. I was pointed at and whispered at, and believe it or not it was such a drastic transformation that I was the hot topic for days. At least until someone else done something news worthy.
I grew my hair after that catastrophe, and I never used ‘sun-in’ again.
Other styles entered my life - bobs, fringes, layers, more perms, and I even had it cut short again. This time I wanted to look like Demi Moore, after watching her enviously in the film Ghost. I looked absolutely nothing like her, after another visit to the hairdressers, but it was a vast improvement from the first time my hair was short.
I think you could say I have been on the magical merry-go-round when it comes to hair styles. Some fashions and styles have made me feel rather sick and panicky, whilst others have made me giddy with happiness. Well, kind of.


Picture of the day:

My next hair design?

12 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Oh wow, must be lovely! I haven't had the courage to do anything drastic in years!

Oh, how I remember those teenager years too. I had the punky hairdo, also very severe. Then I had the Princess Di hairstyle which was very flattering. Then the curly do, which was the first and last perm I had. Terrify results!

Thanks for your memories. Have a good weekend :-)

JYankee said...

i think that fashion has forgotten a lot of decades...70's...80's...will we look back at NOW and think the same? so...you had a "britney spears" moment did you??? LOL...LOL at Blur... didn't everyone want the Princess Di do? obviously those hairstyles flatter the person...and not others... I had the Dorothy Hamil hair do...(she was a popular US figure skater back in the 80's....)
I think we need pics of this latest do....

Nick Phillips said...

My hair is just beyond hope. There is nothing I can do with it that would make it look an ounce decent.

I remember in my teenage years, I tried to get my hair to look like Nick Rhodes which half the time ended up looking more like a wire brush ... LOL!

Then I remember dying the front of my hair blond which ended up looking like a bird made a nest on my head ... LOL!

My hair just has no hope whatever ...

The World According To Me said...

Hello Blur

How are you?

So you had a punky hair-do, a curly-do, and a Princess Di?
I had a Princess Di too! I think it was a very popular style in it's time.

Hope you had a good weekend.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Jyankee

So you had a Dorothy Hamil hair-do? Did you take a picture into the hairdressers and say, "I want to look like her!"? I know I've done that before!

Fashion can be a funny thing, when you look back, don't you think?!

Hope you had a great weekend.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nick

How's your hair today?

I remember the Nick Rhodes days! Did you wear any make-up to compliment it?!

And a birds nest? Perhaps not the look you were striving for?!

See ya soon!

La delirante said...

Wow...the "sun-in" episode was quite an experience for sure :) I loved Demi Moore's hairstyle in Ghost. Good choice!

The World According To Me said...

Hi La Delirante

How are you?

The 'sun-in' episode was an experience not to be repeated!
I like your taste - Demi had a great hair style in Ghost!

Amel's Realm said...

You look GREAT in your other post's pic: GORGEOUS and CUTE at the same time. How can you blend those two? HE HE HE HE HE...

I've also had different hair styles, but I've never changed my hair colour or highlight it. I'm rather afraid that my hair'll be dry due to hair colouring or highlighting he he he...

The World According To Me said...

Thanks Amel! You've put a smile on my face.
I don't see gorgeous and cute when I look in the mirror though! Most of the time I see tired and could loose a pound or two! But thanks for the nice compliment.

nyumix said...

:) I like this hair style ... black curly hair

The World According To Me said...

Hi Nyumix

Do you think it would suit me? I'll let you know if I take the plunge!

Hope you are well.