Thursday, 8 May 2008

Another one bites the dust

Since I’ve worked at my present place of employment, 54 people have left the department. Can you believe that I’ve sat and worked that out? You’d think I would have far more important things to do with my time. (Obviously I haven't!)
I think 54 is the correct figure anyway. I’ve tried to remember everyone who arrived, conquered, and then became bored or was made redundant. My memory isn’t what it once was, so please forgive me if I have mis-calculated.
During my time at my present place of employment, I've met some brilliant people and some not so brilliant people. I won’t mention the not so brilliant names, that’s not my style. Let’s just say stinky feet and spitting into a dustbin are not ideal in the work place.
The night before last, the 54th person left, and the customary 'leaving do’ email was circulated. He’s a lovely chap and one of the originals from ‘the old days’ which you may hear my friend and work colleague, and I, harping on about.
Now there are only 4 who have survived ‘the old days' - myself, my friend and work colleague, my not-so-new boss, and the editor.
The good old days where champagne was once sipped in the sales room, and I had to employ an assistant to help me with the mountains of magazines we had to publish. And The Publisher was so delighted with the annual profit that a weekend away, on the company expenses, was suggested to us. We all had to choose 3 places of final destination for our weekend away, and the most popular answer would be the winning destination. My choices were New York, Lapland, and I think the third choice was Prague, which I eventually visited for a friends 30th birthday weekend.
But alas I wasn't able to visit New York or Lapland, or anywhere on the company expenses for the weekend away, as the industry took a nose-dive and the first batch of redundancies were announced.
Still, I shouldn't complain, they haven't made me redundant, and courtesy of the company I’ve been able to travel to Cannes, Singapore and Barcelona. (Pity I had to work whilst I visited these places.)
So, the 54th persons leaving party was at a pub, situated around the corner to the office. It’s been ages since we’ve all been out together and we were a little rusty at first but we soon got into the swing if it.
After drinks and conversations, and good luck wishes, my friend and work colleague, and I, decided burgers at a near by restaurant were a compulsory finish to the evening. They were delicious.

The restaurant is well known for it's chicken dishes.


But we had beef burgers.


And wine.

23 comments:

Spangleystar said...

I so want a Nando's now !!!

And a very coincidental post as I handed my notice in yesterday - pastures new - here I come...

Are you feeling a bit fuzzy today ?
xxx

The World According to Me said...

Sometimes Nando's is the only answer!

Yippee the notice has been handed in! Were they surprised? Pastures newer and better and greener here you come!

It was Tuesday night we indulged, so felt a little tired yesterday but feeling fine today thanks!

Xxx

Kate said...

Gosh! You look so young to be an old timer at anything!

Faizal said...

You remain there, what's a tough woman.. :)

Blur Ting said...

It's tough to find loyal people like you these days.

JYankee said...

yum! your work place sounds like mine...tho i havent actually sat down to calculate how many people have left! i too, am one of the originals...sad isnt it????

Hazel said...

hi, Happy Mother's Day

seagrape said...

i agree with kate ;)
now i want a burger...and it is almost 1 o'clock in the morning here.

Nick Phillips said...

54 people have left since you've joined? Oh my, that's a pretty high staff turnaround rate isn't it? But it's the same with me. I am the only pioneer staff left in my agency since the day we opened our doors ...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Kate

Believe me, I don't feel so young! But thanks for saying so!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Faizal

I like that, I'm a tough woman!
See you soon.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

Yep, you could say I've stuck with this company through the good times and the not so good times!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

You're one of the originals too then? Sometimes people can't believe how long I've worked here, but I always remind them that I've moved offices three times, moved floors about five times, and I've worked on many different magazines and seen lots of changes in regards to my job role. That doesn't make me feel so boring!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Hazel

How are you?

Happy Belated Mothers Day to you! Did you have a nice day?

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Seagrape!

Had any burgers recently?!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Nick

It is quite a high figure isn't it. But bearing in mind I have worked at my company for nine years and most of the people who left were sales staff, who are notoriously known for high turnarounds.

You're an old timer too then?!

La delirante said...

54 people! That's a lot even if the company is very big. "stinky feet and spitting into a dustbin are not ideal in the work place". Oh, no! they aren't! :) I am kind of nervous with my transfer to the trusts department because I don't know what to expect but I really hope stinky feet won't be waiting for me LOL

Amel's Realm said...

GREAT pics as usual and sorry to hear that you haven't been to Lapland. Maybe someday in the future? And then you can visit me too HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE HE...

But yeah, it's good that you could visit Cannes, Singapore, and Barcelona. I hope to visit Singapore in October, as well, but we have to save money first. It's not a sure deal yet, but I'd love to go there again. I visited Singapore in 2000. Such a nice place! ;-D

The World According to Me said...

Hi La Delirante

I hope stinky feet will not be waiting for your either!
Good luck with the transfer.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel

Nope, I still haven't been to Lapland! One day hey, and I can pop by and say hi!

I loved Singapore too. Luckily I had some spare time before and after the conference, although I would love to go back and visit the places I didn't have time to look around.
I hope you manage to get there in October.

See you soon!

Amel's Realm said...

It'd be great if you could pop around one day HO HO HO HO...I'd be SO happy! ;-D

Let's keep on dreaming and trying to achieve 'em, then, shall we? ;-D

Rebecca said...

sounds like a wonderful evening. 54 people have come and go in your tenure? Holy smokes.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Rebecca

How are you?

It was a great evening thanks.

54 is a high number isn't it. But that has been in the space of nine years, with redundancies and magazines folding and sales staff leaving...