Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Why did I do it?

On a scale of 1 – 10, I would say I was a 5 when it came to superstitions. How about you? Are you constantly touching wood and saluting magpies? Or do you scoff and ridicule any kind of superstitious behaviour?
I am questioning this superstitious lark because I opened an umbrella indoors this morning. Oh yes I did! I couldn’t work out if the brolly by the front door was mine or my mothers. Mine has a tiny tear on it, which is why I opened it, to confirm who it belonged to. Fortunately my mother was in bed when I carried out this action, otherwise I know she would of screamed, ‘What are you playing at?! You know that’s unlucky!” (Just like the time I brought lilac from the lilac tree into the house.)
I then imagined the 'powers above' saying, “Got ya! Despite knowing that opening umbrellas indoors equals bad luck, you went ahead and opened it. We have no choice but to zap an unfortunate incident your way.”
I walked timidly to the train station after imagining this voice. Would a freak accident come my way? A gigantic hair-ball tumbling down the pavement perhaps? Knocking me out of the way at a ridiculously high speed, so that I fell into the road where a greyhound dog would urinate on me, and a red car would drive past and flatten me, turning me into something that resembled an overcooked pancake on Shrove Tuesday. For that would be a very unfortunate incident.
Or, maybe it would be more realistic to imagine a pigeon pooping on me. Oh hang on, isn’t that meant to be good luck? Or am I mistaking that for treading in dogs poop? Life and superstitions can be confusing.
Anyway, I am pleased to report that none of the above happened on the way to the station. It was quite a dull walk without any mis haps. I even looked out for any ladders which I shouldn’t walk under. But there was none.
The train journeys went smoothly too, no sneaky mirrors on the floor for me to smash with my boot heel, resulting in seven years of bad luck. No tables with new shoes on, or salt pots spilling salt for me to hastily chuck over my shoulder, counteracting the bad luck.
When I arrived at work, I avoided crossing anyone on the stair case (even though I always take the lift!) and prayed that the number 13 would not keep creeping into my day.
So far so good!
To be on the safe side, I have decided not to venture outside this lunch time. You never know what might happen. I don’t think my brain can take the strain. Surely it’s safer sitting at my desk?
Only another half day to go, dear readers. So fingers crossed, touch wood, cross my palm with silver, I am sincerely hoping that it's not really unlucky to open an umbrella indoors. Let's hope it's a just a load of silly nonsense and my day will pass by undisturbed and uneventful.
(Did I say I was only a 5 on that scale thing?!)

Pictures of the day:

Yellow fields forever.


8 comments:

Spangleystar said...

I used to work with an Irish girl and she held this superstition, it's possibly the craziest ever...

If you see the back of an ambulance, you must hold your collar until you see a brown dog...

I've no idea why...
xxx

The World According to Me said...

I can honestly say I have never heard of that one, Spangleystar.

If I see people holding their collars and hunting for brown dogs, I'll know why now!

xxx

JYankee said...

Superstitious are we??? LOL

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

All I can say is - I'm glad yesterday is over and I'm still in one piece!

Rebecca said...

I can't say that I am terribly superstitious. I used to have a black cat after all. That said, I see no need to tempt fate :P

The World According to Me said...

Hello Rebecca

Arr yes, that tempting fate thing. That's another phrase I am forever saying, "I don't want to tempt fate, but..."

As you can see, I have realised since writing this post, just how superstitious I am!

Nick Phillips said...

I'm definitely superstitious! It can't hurt being safe now ya hear ... LOL! It's an old habit that dates back to my grandmothers time.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nick

How are you today?

Is superstitious your middle name?!
I think I remember reading about your grandma and some superstitions! So you understand what I'm going on about?!