Tuesday, 22 April 2008

One today

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday, Flying Pink Elephants
Happy Birthday to you!

That was a not-so-subtle way of saying; Flying Pink Elephants has reached the grand age of one!
And what a blogging good way to spend a year.
Now I have finished my little sing song, I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every person who has read and commented and made FPE one of my favourite places to be.
It wouldn’t be the same without you!

Shall we take a trip down memory lane together? Reminisce about the past year? Okay then, fasten your seat belts and shuffle around until you’re sitting comfortably. Anyone fancy a sweetie for the journey? Are you ready? Right, here we go…

It’s been a year of calorie counting, George Michael adoration, wine swigging, and cheese and chocolate appreciation.
Of course there have been many other things before, during and after, it's not all about my taste buds and my taste in gay pop stars!

I think one of the highlights for me has got to be ‘The unexpected twist.' Which in other words, meant possessing my own car again, following the sorry saga of Polly the Peugeot. (If you think that name was bad, I used to have a Peugeot 205 called Clive the 205.)
Not forgetting other memorable high lights, which were, my little cousin's engagement, and my medium size cousin's new baby boy. And the George Michael concert, 'You gotta have faith.' Aptly named ‘You gotta have faith’ as it was taken from a line of one of his songs (bet you can’t guess which one?!) and because my friend lost the tickets and we almost didn’t go. Can you imagine how she felt when she realised she’d lost the tickets and had to break the devastating news to me?! I thank the Lord (and so does she!) that we managed to purchase replacement tickets in the final hour. It was an incredibly stressful day, which luckily had a happy ending.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed describing and showing such places and events as the rainy day trip to Kew Gardens, the rainy picnic at Regents Park, The Natural History Museum, a wine festival, an asparagus festival, a boat ride along the River Thames, out door ice-skating and a winter fairground, a murder mystery themed hen night, a wedding reception, an evening at the theatre, an awards party, a conference held in Barcelona, and a visit to the sea side.
Oh and how could I forget the story about a man who married a goat, ‘In memory of Rose the goat.'

Unfortunately there have been some low points too, a funeral, a bike accident and my nans health. But that’s life I guess, along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometimes. (Especially if you live in the U.K. where it always seems to rain.)

Well, that’s the year summed up according to me.

And I would think you probably have a good idea of what I’m about by now. If not, there’s always ‘Eight random facts’ and ‘Weird things about me’ and ‘The love and hate theme (otherwise known as cheese and prawns)’.
Those who do know me, will realise that it’s not in my nature not to loose or break something. Therefore, in FPE’s first year there have been tales of a lost purse, a mis placed book, a forgotten camera and a smashed mobile phone.
And how could I not mention the stone in weight I have lost (yippee!) since FPE began one fateful day, and the hours I have lost writing these entries.
But quite frankly, I have to say, writing this blog is one of the best ways I can possibly think of to loose a few hours.
Here’s to many more lost hours!
Cheers everyone.
Thanks for listening.

Picture of the day:

The pink birthday cake.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many Happy Returns FPE !

As well as it being a blogging good way to spend your time, it's a blogging good way to kill some of mine, as yes I am one of those naughty work surfers ;o)

Looking forward to more tales of trips and wine and of course George Michael !

lots of love xxx

Spangleystar said...

oops I meant to sign off !

Blur Ting said...

Happy first birthday!! I know that feeling. It's amazing isn't it, knowing what friendships one can build through blogging? Only bloggers wil understand. Continue blogging my friend! Alot of things have happened in one year and we're sharing the joy and pain with you all because of the blog!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Spangleystar. Or should I call you naughty work surfer? Don't worry, I won't tell.

I'm sure there will be many more tales of wine and trips and George!

I am looking forward to tomorrow immensely.

xxx

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Blur.

It really is an amazing feeling when you realise people from all over the world are reading something you have written and commenting about it! I can't imagine life without blogging now!
And the joy I receive from reading and looking at other peoples blogs. Never a dull moment.

Long live blogging!

Amel's Realm said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FPE!!! ;-D Cheers to blogging!!!! YIIIPPPIIIEEEE!!! ;-D

I'm glad I've met you in the blogosphere! ;-D ROCK ON, my gorgeous friend!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Amel

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Glad we have met through blogging too!

If I could, I'd share the pink birthday cake with you!

Krystle said...

Happy 1st blog birthday:) I'm glad we became friends through the blogosphere..it's so nice to be able to keep in touch with other people miles away through a blog! :) Looking forward to celebrating many more birthdays!! ;)

The World According to Me said...

Thank you Krystle

It's nice to hear you feel like that too. Blogging really is a great invention, communicating with people from other parts of the world, learning about different cultures and life styles, and spreading happy thoughts, kind words, enthusiasm, etc etc! The world's a better place in blog land!

Take care and see you soon.

JYankee said...

Happy Birthday! Here's to one year and many more of wine-ing and dining and of George Michael!

seagrape said...

happy birthday FPE!
it's always a pleasure to read your posts. here's to many more!

Nick Phillips said...

Congratulations on making it to a year :) I've always enjoyed reading your light hearted postings and I'm looking forward to reading a lot more for many more years to come :)

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Ta very much! One thing you can rely on in this life - there will be more tales on FPE of George, wine - ing and dining!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape

Thanks for the birthday wishes.
Nice to hear that you find my waffling a pleasure to read!
Yep, here's to many more!

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Nick. A fellow blue cheese fan!

What a way to spend a year!
I'm really pleased to read that you enjoy my posts.
Get ready for more antics, popping up on your computer screen!

nyumix said...

Happy Birthday Flying Pink Elephants

I have an award for you award

The World According to Me said...

Thanks ever so much Nyumix!

I love the award and will be showing it off soon. I'm touched that you've passed it on to me.

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday, FPE!!! I do so enjoy reading your posts and viewing your pictures. Looking forward to many more :)

xo
r.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Rebecca

Thank you for saying that. It's great to receive positive feed back for things which are lurking around in my head! Glad you like the pics too.

See you soon. Take care.

Kate said...

Congratulations on your first year of blogging. You are one of my favorite friends to visit!

The World According to Me said...

Thanks for the congrats and comment, Kate.

I must say how much I enjoy reading your blog too. It always raises a smile. You certainly know how to entertain and capture a moment.

La delirante said...

Hi The world according to me!!

Congratulations!!!! Thanks for being there and for making the blogosphere a great place to be in :) Thanks a lot for your beautiful posts and wonderful pictures. I am very glad that I found your blog and everytime I visit it feels so cozy :) Thanks again!

(BTW, I was going to ask you what is FPE? :) because I am more used to "The world according to me", and then I realised, oh yes! FPE! Now I know!!)

A big hug for you!

The World According to Me said...

Thanks for your kind words La Delirante.

And thanks for reading FPE (now you know what it means!) and for your comments.
I'm glad we found each other too!

Take care.