Wednesday, 2 April 2008

Is there anybody there?

I think we have a poltergeist in our house. Either that, or I’m stupider than I look. Hmm, don’t answer that last comment!
I’ve lost my book ‘Stranger on the train’ since photographing it for ‘The book I am now reading.' Therefore it has been necessary to re name the picture ‘The book I am now searching for.’ Let me know if you come across it, won’t you? I’m driving my mother nuts by asking her every day: “Are you sure you haven’t seen it / moved it / sold it at the car boot sale?" And I’m driving myself nuts by looking for it every day in my big white bag / big black bag / under the bed / on my bookshelves. Where the heck is it? I feel I have no alternative but to stop hunting for it, in the hope that it will suddenly re appear. Or that bloomin’ poltergeist returns it to its rightful place. For it’s not the first time that something has gone missing in our house….
Taps. You just have to ask my mother about the taps and she’ll raise her eyebrows and shake her head in disbelief. You see, once my mother bought some taps to be installed in the bathroom. These taps were placed in a drawer, in a cabinet, in the hallway. But when the day of instalment arrived, do you think the taps could be found? They have never been found. How can you loose a pair of taps?!
And that’s not all - one Christmas time, a George Michael CD literally vanished from my bedroom. Just like that. One moment it was on my bed, then dinner was eaten in the kitchen, and upon returning to my bedroom after dinner, it had gone. The exact same thing happened to a mug which was purchased for my father. I placed it in my cupboard to be wrapped as one of his Christmas presents, but when the time came to remove the mug from the cupboard, do you think I could find it? No, I couldn’t find it.
I know I can be absent minded. All you have to say to me is: “Car keys” and I’ll realise that I have no idea where I last placed them. I have spent way too much time looking for my car keys. But that’s different. I’m allowed to misplace my keys.
Sometimes I know I’ve put something in a practical safe place, but then it literally disappears. Like my book! I’m sure I left it by the green armchair. And yet it is not there. I’ve even looked in places I know I haven’t put it (my bags, shelves, under the bed), but it’s not there either!
Surely I am not alone in this mystery? Perhaps you have a friendly poltergeist in your house? If so, could you do me a favour please, and ask him if he’s moved my mothers taps? My mum would be ever so grateful. Thanks!

PS Latest escape ‘Shade’ is by Neil Jordon, who produced such films as ‘The Crying Game’ and ‘Interview with the Vampire.’ If I loose this book I’m really going to question that poltergeists intentions towards me. Or maybe he’s just bored and likes my reading material? Now there’s an interesting thought….

Picture of the day:

More blossom.

21 comments:

Spangleystar said...

my poltergeist had hair issues - the attachment end off my hairdryer kept going missing...
xxx

The World According to Me said...

Cheeky so and so! Why doesn't he get his own hair dryer?!

Xxx

Blur Ting said...

I love the picture of the flowers! Yah, sometimes I wonder too, like there's a black hole somewhere in my house.

Nick Phillips said...

*twilight zone tune in background*

Yeah, I think you just might have something there ... LOL! Happens to me too. One minute it's there and the next it's in Timbuktu or something ...

JYankee said...

i think there is one in every house...ours comes around Japanese obon....wanting to be fed...cuz you know MIL doesnt really keep up with that very well...

La delirante said...

Good luck finding your book :)

Amel's Realm said...

Now that is strange indeed. Today in our classroom, we talked about "strange encounters". One friend had seen UFO twice and another one's Dad had seen the same thing. Another one's grandpa had seen some kind of Giant Man or something.

I sure hope the poltergeist gives the book and the taps backkkkk!!!

Enjoy your weekend! ;-D And spring hasn't really come here. It's snowing again today he he he...I guess it'll only come next month. Oh well...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

How are you?

Glad you like the picture.

How's that black hole in your house?! Hopefully nothing has been sucked up into it recently?

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nick

How's things?

Timbuktu has a lot to answer for!

The World According to Me said...

Hello La Delirante

Hope you are well?

Thanks for the good luck! I need it! It's still driving me mad wondering where it can be...

The World According to Me said...

Hi Amel

How's it going?

A giant man?! Wow! Sounds like a very strange conversation about the strange encounters!

I'll let you know if the poltergeist returns the book!

Is it still snowing?

Leigh Russell said...

If I could regain the time I've wasted looking for things, I'd have a second lifetime. The worst time is just after a major tidy up...

Amel's Realm said...

Nope, it's stopped snowing for now but Saturday it snowed the whole day he he he he he...so the whole village looked like Christmas again this morning due to the fresh, white snow. ;-D

Spangleystar said...

Why are we waiting... Whyyy are we waiting, why are we waiting oh why why why...

Come on FPE those toothy pegs can't be denting your creative flow !!!

Kate said...

Wow, it looks like spring has finally arrived in Engalnd...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Leigh

How are you?

You’re so right, sometimes the tidier and more organised you are, the less hope you have of finding things!

See you in the second life time.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel

How lovely - a snow covered, Christmas looking village!

The World According to Me said...

Spangleystar, all good things come to those who wait! Plus I couldn't get internet connection last night!

Xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

It’s spring one day, and then winter the next! Very confusing weather.

Rebecca said...

Man, I hate when that happens! That little bugger runs off with my watch for a week at a time occasionally!

Love the blossoms.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Rebecca

I'm hoping to catch him out - reading my book, using my mug and listening to George! I'll see if he's wearing your watch and report back to you!