Tuesday, 29 April 2008

Chocolate popcorn cheesecake

Before last night I had never heard of chocolate popcorn cheesecake, let alone tasted its tantalising delights.
Perhaps it’s a common delicacy in other parts of this world? Maybe I’ve had my head in the clouds when it came to cheesecake varieties, but I've never noticed it in the supermarket or on a restaurant dessert menu before last night. However, this has all changed. Chocolate popcorn cheesecake is now topping my favourite list of desserts!
It was my fathers birthday yesterday. 74 years young. And if I do say so myself, I think he could be mistaken for someone ten years younger. He keeps his mind and body active with walks, gardening, chess games, language tapes, and he plays the saxophone in a jazz band. Oh and he still works, he has a stock taking business, which means he excels in mathematics.
Academically my father is the complete opposite to me. Maths, languages and musical ability are not my strong points. Personality wise I would say I can be the mirror image of him, but unfortunately I can not speak fluent French and German or make any kind of recognisable noise with a musical instrument (apart from being able to play Kum Ba Ya on the piano).
I’d like to think I have inherited some of my mothers creativity. My mother is known for her floral art classes, china painting, copper and pewter designs and dough craft. And we once attended a calligraphy course together.
Between my mother and father there is a fairly big age gap, but my mum often jokes that my dads health and vitality puts hers to shame. Except for his mild case of diabetes, which he controls with his diet, he is in tiptop health for a 74 year old - touch wood!
(Unfortunately my family are riddled with diabetes, both parents have been diagnosed with it, my grandmother had to take insulin injections due to it and my great grandfather had his leg amputated as a result of it. I sincerely hope diabetes does not catch me up, injecting and amputation is not something I want to comprehend.)
Anyway, back to the cheescake. Last night I took my parents out for a meal at a local, family orientated restaurant. It has a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere, with an open kitchen where you can see your fish / chicken / steak in the grilling process. And the legendary salad cart, with many tasty options and combinations, which you can help yourself to as many times as you like. My salad bowl was overflowing with all sorts of salad bits, but I decided one overflowing bowl was enough thanks.
For my main course I ordered the garlic and mushroom pasta, with garlic bread. Whoa betide any vampires who wanted to track me down. Garlic must have been oozing out of my pores at the end of the evening.
My father ordered a bottle of chardonnay to compliment our meal. And then my mother and I’s taste buds began to work over time when we read the words chocolate popcorn cheesecake.
“I have to try it!” said I, hardly being able to contain my excitement.
“I’ll have to try some of yours,” said my mother. Her heart was set on the upside down pineapple cake, but she was intrigued about this new dessert.
It did not disappoint. Heavenly chocolate and cream smothered the popcorn and cheesecake base, with a swirl of refreshing vanilla ice-cream on the side. Not a crumb was left remaining on my plate. I was one satisfied customer.
For your viewing, I remembered to take a picture, before the demolishing began.

Picture of the day:

Chocolate popcorn cheesecake.

12 comments:

JYankee said...

congrats on your dad's birthday... hmmmm.. chocolate popcorn cheesecake...never seen anything like it..but definitely sounded good!

Blur Ting said...

Happy birthday to your dad! Your parents are accomplished people! That cheesecake looks so good. My brother brought back a whole Boston cheesecake and I've been nipping into the kitchen to taste a wedge everyday. Gee, I'm going to look like your pink elephant mascot soon!

Kate said...

OH. MY. GOD.

Spangleystar said...

interesting, popcorn topped and popcorn bottomed - well I never ! I'm heading over to your neck of the woods soon - so let me know the name of the restaurant so that I can investigate this new sensation !!!
xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

Believe me when I tell you that is tasted as good as it sounded!

My father says thanks for his birthday congratulations, I have passed them on to him!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

I passed your birthday wishes on to my dad and he said thank you!

The Boston cheesecake sounds delicious. I'd be nipping into the kitchen for a wedge too!

The World According to Me said...

You said it Kate! A slice of heaven on a plate!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Spangleystar

Restaurant info will be passed on to you asap!

Lots of chocolate popcorn love

xxx

Amel's Realm said...

WOW...the cake looks VERY delicious!!! I'm drooling here!

And HAPPY Belated B-day to your Dad!!! Arttu's Dad's 12 years older than his Mom and the biggest age gap between a couple that I've known is 21 years HE HE HE HE HE...

Hope your parents still have plenty of WONDERFUL years to come!!! Hear, hear! ;-D

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel

The cake was indeed delicious!

Thanks for my fathers birthday wishes. He actually asked me if I wanted him to pose for the blog, but then he decided he wasn't looking his best!

Can you believe my parents have been together for 36 years?! They must be doing something right!

Rebecca said...

A very happy birthday to your dad!! And holy smokes. That dessert looks truly decadent. Not sure I could handle so many textures in one sitting, though I'd be willing to give it the old college try :P

The World According to Me said...

Thanks for the belated wishes Rebecca.

Some people might have said the dessert was bordering on sickly, but not me!