Monday, 10 March 2008

Wind and friends

You should have seen the state I was in when I reached the train station this morning!
We are experiencing severe weather conditions (again) in England. So severe that it was virtually impossible to keep my umbrella up this morning. Don’t you hate it when that happens? I needed the umbrella to shelter me from the rain but the naughty wind kept turning it inside out. The wind was so strong it literally took my breath away, and I was struggling to walk in a straight line at one point.
By the time I arrived at the station I looked as if I'd been dragged through a bush backwards, doing kart wheels and hand stands, and all sorts of things which can make you look flustered and messy.
My hair resembled a tangled birds nest, my off-centre parting was nowhere to be seen. My jeans were soaked and sticking to my legs, as a result of the useless umbrella. My glasses were covered in rain drops, and I was in great
danger of walking into something or someone until I could wipe them clean with my poor, cold hands.
However, my journey into work was nothing compared to some unfortunate people. There I was moaning to my work colleague and friend, and the sales manager, about my windy and wet walk to the station, when the sales manager stopped me in my tracks. The train he uses to commute each day could not stop at one particular station, due to a gigantic billboard falling down, onto unsuspecting waiting passengers. Apparently when his train travelled through the station, there were stretchers everywhere to cart people off to hospital. How awful. I immediately stopped moaning and felt extremely grateful that a billboard had not fallen on top of me this morning.
As you can imagine, there is no way I am stepping into the outside world this lunchtime. Far too dangerous. I’ve been looking at blogs and photographs.
The photographs are from the latest girls night out. The latest girls night out where the girlies and I celebrated one of our lovely friends birthday.
We met at a local bar, with a live band and reserved seating. It’s not often that we all get together on the same night, as life, finances and distances have an annoying habit of getting in the way, so it was quite exciting to all be out together again.
After a few drinks at the first bar, we moved along to another one, which had cheesy music and outside seating, with heaters (it’s far too cold to sit outside without any sort of heating). At the second bar I seem to remember singing ‘hopelessly devoted to you’ very loudly, addressing the song to my friends. Although I stopped singing when I noticed an ambulance outside, and a woman lying on the floor. I’m not sure if she had suffered from some kind of fit or she’d been a victim of binge drinking. But it’s never nice to see an ambulance, is it. I do hope she was okay.
At the end of the night taxis were called and one of my friends kipped on my bedroom floor. We were giggling and talking too loudly, and I hoped my parents wouldn’t bang on the wall and ask us to keep the noise down. It was like being a teenager again! Minus the spots and mood swings.

Sorry folks, I’ve just realised I’ve left my adapter at home, so I can’t upload the photographs to FPE. I’ll have to do it tomorrow. What a big tease I am.

I've stopped teasing you - here are the photographs. Apologies for the delay.

Pictures of the day:

The singers.


The girlie's.

17 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

Yes, you're such a big tease indeed! I was looking forward to seeing the pics, you know? HE HE HE...

Anyway, you're dead on about hearing "worse" experiences that stop you from moaning.

GLAD to hear you're OK despite the naughty wind and that you had fun with your friends. ;-D

Krystle said...

Hello:)

I hope you are having a good day (apart from the weather!).

I'll be coming over on Thursday..I hope the wind will have calmed down by then! :(

Nick Phillips said...

Just dropping by to wish you a great Tuesday and hopefully the weather will ease up a little.

You know something? I'm the kind who'd rather walk in the pouring rain than use an umbrella ... LOL!

Blur Ting said...

Oh dear, I am ever so thankful for our weather. It sounds like such an ordeal for you to get to work, plus having to change 3 trains too! i really should have nothing to complain about really.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel

I'm still teasing you I'm afraid! I stayed at a friends house last night so haven't been home for my adapter yet.

The wind is not so naughty today! And hearing about some poor peoples journey definitely stopped me complaining. What's an inside out umbrella compared to be taken to hospital?!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Krystle

Only 2 days to go! I really hope the weather cheers up for your stay. I'm pleased to report that it's a dry and less windy day today. Fingers crossed it keeps improving...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Nick

Even though it's a Tuesday my day has not been too bad so far, thanks!

Arr, so you're the one who finds walking in the rain refreshing?

Be over to you soon to see how your Tuesday is going...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

Is the sun shining where you are? We do get some crappy weather in the UK! So changeable too, it's hard to keep up with it sometimes.

Come on Spring, show me your face!

Spangleystar said...

So are we getting pictures tomorrow ? I don't even remember you taking any on Saturday !

The World According to Me said...

Hello Spangleystar

Pictures will be here tomorrow! There's a lovely one of you, Helen and Claire. Do you remember me taking it in the V bar? And a couple of the singers.

seagrape said...

wha?! no pics? well...i'll be back here tomorrow...

Blur Ting said...

I read about the bad weather in UK and France that left people dead, ships aground etc. Sounds really bad.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape.

I know it's a disgrace, no pictures! But I have them now!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

The weather has been awful. It's another windy day today. I swear it sounded like my house was going to take off this morning!

Amel's Realm said...

I only had time today to blog-hop, so you weren't teasing me hi hi hi...GREAT pics! ;-D

I LOVE girls' nights out! ;-D

And you're ABSOLUTELY right about an inside-out umbrella vs being taken to hospital.

Cheers to our health! ;-D

Dav DiDi said...

Hi ..

Been searching for your blog for quite some time .. I lost all the links when I changed the layout of my blog ...

Like your blog .. very interesting ..

The World According to Me said...

Thanks for the compliment Dav Didi. I'm glad you have found me again! Be over to you soon...