Tuesday, 4 March 2008

What's the deal with Tuesday?

Do you think Tuesdays have an unfair deal? Let me put it to you like this, if you could be any day of the week, what would you be? I would be a Saturday. And I suspect that would be a popular choice? Saturday is my favourite day of the week.
Listen mid-week days, I know I need you to pay the bills and keep my brain sane, but I also need Saturdays for lie-ins and to do what I please.
Sundays are all very well (as you may know, I am partial to the lazy, rainy Sunday) and they have a certain relaxing feel to them, do you agree? But they also come with a nagging voice at the back of your mind, saying, "Back to work tomorrow! The weekend is nearly over!"
And who would be a Monday?! When was the last time you heard anyone say, "Oh I love Mondays!” ? Exactly. Everyone loves to hate a Monday. There’s even a song about it, ‘I don’t like Mondays’ by the Boomtown Rats. And I quote:

Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down

See what I mean? Poor old Monday. Fancy hearing that someone wants to shoot you down. But then again, at least it has character, a purpose in life. A day everyone can blame for feeling blue, or tired, or just generally irritable and wishing to have a moan.
Which brings me back to a Tuesday. What does Tuesday offer us? Dare I say it, it’s quite a bland day. It doesn’t have the strong presence of a Monday. It doesn’t even have that Wednesday ring to it. On Wednesdays you can say you are half way through the working week, or you can say you are one step further to the weekend.
Thursdays are a nice day, I generally find. They have that sense of relief that the next day is a Friday, and you could almost reach out and touch the weekend. On Thursdays you are allowed to discuss your weekend plans without fearing you are wishing your week and your life away.
And then of course there are Fridays. As the Cadburys Crunchie advert would say, 'Thank Crunchie it’s Friday!" Fridays have a distinctive vibe about them. I usually wake up on a Friday and groan when I see the time on my alarm clock, but then I think "At least it’s a Friday!" Even if I have no plans to go out that evening, I am happy in the knowledge that I can go to bed late if I so desire, and/or have a glass of wine and not worry about sitting at my desk feeling dehydrated. And I have two whole days ahead of me to use to my advantage and remind myself that life is for living!
Can you now see what I mean about Tuesdays? Do you agree they have an unfair deal? Pardon me if you think I am speaking out of term. I do not wish to hurt Tuesdays feelings, but I do find Tuesdays rather bland. Sorry Tuesday.

Picture of the day:

Daffodils to brighten your Tuesday.

20 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Haha, Tuesdays are not exactly my fav days too. Oh, when you say Crunchie Fridays, reminds me of my secondary school days. My best friend and I would buy a Crunchie after school every day and savour it while waiting for the bus. No wonder we were so chubby then :-)

Nick Phillips said...

I just happen to live for Fridays cos the very following day is Saturday which is really my all time favourite day. I wish Saturday's could last forever .. LOL!

Even when I was young, I'd look forward to the weekends :D

JYankee said...

yeah Tues and Thurs are blah days for me. Give me Friday nights anytime!

Spangleystar said...

You are sooo right !
Tuesday feels far from the last weekend, after getting over the horror of Monday and a long way off the next weekend !
At least look at it this way - your Tuesday could never have been as bad as mine yesterday - stressful conference (in many ways)with only the comfort of my hotel room to go back to last night...
Still only 36 hours and I'm back on a flight !!!
Looking forward to seeing on Sat, and your daffs cheered me up no end xxx

ninuhadida said...

hehe nice post :) I agree on many of your points! I like Thursdays since I have a relaxed day.. Friday because it's the beginning of the weekend and of course Saturday! :D

Kate said...

In defense of Tuesdays, it is the day on which you say, "Well, Monday is over, I'm into the swing of my week, and there's still enough time in the week for me to hope to accomplish something." An optimistic day.

seagrape said...

even tuesday night tv is blah. i love thursdays. thursday nights were shopping nights for me when i lived in NY, the only week night my favorite stores were open late.

La delirante said...

Yes, I think everybody hates Mondays :) I think I would be either Friday or Saturday :) Totally agree with Nick, Jyankee and Ninuhadida.

Beautiful daffodils by the way :)

Amel's Realm said...

LOVE the daffodils and your post is VERY VERY interesting! ;-D

Same as jyankee, Fri nights are my fave of all he he...;-D

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

Thank Crunchie it's Friday! Funny how you would buy one on a Friday! Cadburys Caramels were one of my favs when I was at secondary school, and Flakes. The tuck shop done a roaring trade when I was about!

Hope you have a great weekend.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Nick

How are you on this Friday? It's nearly our favourite day of the week! Any plans I wonder? Be over to you soon...

The World According to Me said...

Jyankee, how do you do?

A blah day is a good way to describe a Tuesday. Thank goodness it's Friday!

The World According to Me said...

My Spangleystar.

I'm always right, except when I'm wrong!

Sorry to hear about the stressful conference honey.

Glad the daffs cheered you up,

Roll on Saturday and we shall be together again.

xxxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Ninuhadida

Nice to meet you! Thanks for reading and posting. I shall head over to you in a minute.

The World According to Me said...

Hello

Someone has to stand up for Tuesdays! I see your point though.

Have a great weekend and I hope you've accomplished many things this week.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape

Late night Thursday shopping! It's been a while but it used to be a regular with me!

Hope you're having a pleasant weekend.

The World According to Me said...

Hi La Delirante

How are you today?

Mondays are a hard day!

Thanks for the daffs comment. I thought they would brighten the day and the blog.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel

Glad you think the post was interesting!

How's your Friday going? How's the course coming along?

Must catch up with you....

Rebecca said...

Well, I guess Tuesdays are the blandest of the 7 when you look at it that way! But I never understood hating Mondays. Hating one seventh of your life has never made sense to me. Grant you, I do not leap for joy at the sound my alarm clock on ANY given Monday, but eh, what's a girl to do. Monday...it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

How’s your Monday going? You’re right, sometimes I feel guilty that it’s only Monday and I am thinking about the next weekend already! Doesn’t seem right to be wishing part of your life away!
Anyway, here’s to the next weekend! Ha, ha, only joking.