Friday, 14 March 2008

These boots were made for walking...

It’s finally happened. The day I have been dreading has arrived.
Alas, I knew it would only be a matter of time, but I was hoping it would be later rather than sooner.
My brown boots have developed a hole. My lovely, versatile, brown boots. The boots which can be worn with trousers, jeans, skirts and dresses. The boots which can blend with light colours, bright colours, dark colours and medium shade colours. The boots which have enough heel to give me that extra needed height, but not too much heel, so I do not need major foot surgery after I have worn them.
And they cost me a fair whack. For once, I splashed out, telling myself they were well-made and it would be worth spending the extra money on boots which would not cripple my feet. Plus I would be able to wear them to many occasions with almost every outfit I owned. Talk about getting your moneys worth!
I discovered the hole yesterday, as it was raining for a change (I’m being sarcastic here, in reference to the rain). I was not amused when I arrived home from a busy day in the office with one dry foot and one extremely wet foot.
Would anyone out there care to buy me a new pair of boots please? No? Oh well, you can’t blame a girl for trying.
And to make matters worse - the price of wine has gone up 14p a bottle. (How much?!) Thanks to 'Alistair Darling’s 2008 Budget.' Yep, he’s hitting drinkers where it hurts – in the pocket. Beer has increased to 4p a pint and spirits are an extra 55p a bottle.
The Budget has also focused on drivers, hence it has been named ‘Don’t Drink or Drive Budget.’ Not 'Don't Drink AND Drive' (everyone knows this can lead to tragic consequences) but it's referring to the hard fact that drinkers and drivers will suffer financially.
There will be a 2p per litre rise in fuel tax in the Autumn. Believe me when I tell you that we fork out enough for fuel already. And nine out of ten cars will cost more in road tax. Again, the current price is expensive enough.
Apparently, by 2010 the price to tax a Mondeo 2.5 will be £750! Phew, I have a funny feeling that Mondeo 2.5’s will not be a popular car in 2010.
Maybe I should be grateful that I do not possess a Mondeo, but right now I’d appreciate wearing boots which were not falling apart and making me suffer with wet foot syndrome. I would also appreciate not having to arrange a small loan the next time I am buying a bottle of wine, to enable me to cover the cost of my favourite tipple.

Whoops, I almost forgot – happy weekend! All the very best from Flying Pink Elephants.

Picture of the day:

Pretty as a picture.

16 comments:

Spangleystar said...

See if you can find a cobblers - they can sometimes fix holes - if they can't, well at least you tried and if they can - Hurrah for Cobblers !!!

I don't want to excite you with the thought of getting the boots fixed and bring you down with this but, your 2.0 litre golf gti will go up a huge amount too honey - best downscale to a leaner greener car before 2010(plus you'll save loads on petrol too!)
xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hello Spangleystar

How the little red devil are you?

I've been looking at my boot and wondering if it's fixable, I don't think I can bare to be parted from it!

Hmm. My lovely but not very economical car! I think leaner and greener is the way forward!

Xxx

Amel's Realm said...

SORRY to hear about your boots and the prices of things going up. :-(((

Well, maybe you can find a pair of discounted boots later on? Who knows you might get lucky? Or when's your next birthday? Maybe you can spread a bday wish list? HE HE HE...

And such a GORGEOUS flower!!! I'm amazed!!!

HAPPY weekend! ;-D

Rebecca said...

I was going to suggest having your boots resoled, but I see the Spangleystar beat me to it.

And since I like French wine, an the dollar and euro have not been playing nicely, I am paying much more for my favorite vintages as well. And gas? forget it! Since crude is trading at around $108 a barrel, we are paying more every week. OH well. Don't think we'll see a reversal any time soon!

Have a good weekend!!
r.

JYankee said...

lovely pic of the flower and yeah those rising fuel prices...they make EVERYTHING go up...what do they have to do with wine? who knows...i hope none of that is added into the wine....

Helen said...

No spangleystar no, it was hard enough for FPE to find a car let alone trying to find her another one. Especially as the mechanic could find absolutely no fault in it and that is a miracle. I will ask my friend who has the shoe repair and key cutters in my local town to see if there is hope for your perfect boots.

Blur Ting said...

Repairing boots can be quite costly. I couldn't bear to throw away my old Timberland hiking boots and the cobbler sewed he sole back. I could buy one side of the boot with the amount I paid for repairing it!

But old shoes are comfy and you know you can trust them.

Nick Phillips said...

Can't the boots be salvaged by sending it to a good cobbler?

When the sole of my shoes 'died' on my I couldn't bear to throw it away so I found this neat little cobble who managed to 'revive' it :D

Maybe that might work for you too ...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel

How's tricks?

Life can be expensive! Especially when you have holes in your boots and it's budget time!
I wish it was my birthday soon, but it's not until October. By then I will probably have holes in all my clothes!

Glad you like the flower.

Hope you had a pleasant weekend. Be over to you soon....

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

I shall be visiting the cobblers on pay day! Hopefully they can fix 'em as I do love them and new ones will set me back a bit.

You have all my sympathy when it comes to expensive wine and gas! Not much fun is it.

I hope you had a great weekend. See you soon.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

Glad to hear you like the flower.

How was your weekend?

Wouldn't it be nice if prices went down for a change?! My car and taste buds would have a real treat!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Helen, or may I call you Patience?

How are you honey?

That's very true, the lovely mechanic surprised us all with his positive comments on the car! A small miracle in itself.
Just wish the petrol situation wasn't so pricey.

Who's the shoe repair friend I wonder? You are a handy person to know!

Love to all the family.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur

How are you?

You're right there, I can imagine how much the Timberlands cost to repair. But sometimes you find something that is comfy and practical and you are reluctant to part with.

I bought some really cheap red boots once, and they were perfect at the time. But I kept having the heels re done and so in the end the cheap red boots cost me a fortune!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Nick

Hope you are well.

Cobblers it is!

Reviving foot wear seems to be a popular answer, and I'm not ready to bury these boots yet!

La delirante said...

Oh, I know the feeling...when the perfect shirt, the perfect skirt, the perfect shoes or shorts are not there anymore :(

The World According to Me said...

Hi La Delirante

Why can't perfect things live forever?! Maybe they're not so perfect after all!