Tuesday, 18 March 2008

Peas in the mustard jar

I dream about the day when I will be on top of my finances. One day I hope that pay day will not be the centre of my universe. I hope the words 'over-draft' and 'debts' and 'I'm broke' will be a dim and distant memory. At the moment it seems a far away fantasy, but I’m working on it.
Of course I do realise that this world is hardly debt free. I know many people live in their over-draft or have a mortgage or a loan or a credit card. But it would be nice to feel I am not constantly battling with my wages, to own my own property and to have something to show for my hard earned cash.
And I am aware that to some people my life would seem a dream come true. I watched ‘Sports Relief’ last Friday night, and what a roller coaster of emotions it took me on. I laughed at the comedians, I envied the dancers, I praised / mocked the decisions on 'The Apprentice' and I blinked away tears when I saw the poverty and sadness inflicted on too many peoples lives.
What is Sports Relief, you may be asking. Well, it harnesses the power and passion of sport to change lives for the better. At present it has raised £20,747,375 and this money will be spent to help vulnerable people living incredibly tough lives, both in the UK and across the world’s poorest countries. Here’s the link if anyone would like to know more / denote money: http://www.sportrelief.com/
Whilst watching Sports Relief at the weekend, I actually found myself feeling guilty, but lucky, that I was sitting in a warm, comfortable house. Lucky to have fish and chips sitting on the kitchen table, and parents to moan at me when I deposit peas into the mustard jar (I'm always getting into trouble for doing this).
I even found myself reaching for the telephone to make a donation, and then I remembered I don't actually have any money in my bank account. Not until pay day (2 days to go), but at least I do have a pay day to look forward to. So I’ve promised myself I will make that call when funds are in my account.
I can also pop along to the Cobblers and get my boots fixed. I am praying that it won’t rain for the next two days. But then again, if it does, what’s a wet foot compared to a child who has been abused and emotionally scarred for life, or a famiy who do not have a roof over their head? Sometimes you just have to put things into perspective.

Take care.

The red rose.

17 comments:

La delirante said...

Hi! I totally know what you mean. When you wrote: "One day I hope that pay day will not be the centre of my universe. I hope the words 'over draft' and 'debts' and 'I'm broke' will be a dim and distant memory. At the moment it seems a far away fantasy, but I’m working on it". It's like my life :)

Especially now with the home loan project, you can imagine. But anyway, as you said, hopefully that day will come when we won't have to worry about over-drafts and credit cards.

It looks interesting that program you mentioned. When you wrote about it I remembered that some days ago they were advertising a charity organization in my country and I was on the verge of tears when I saw very poor kids asking for help. Unfortunately they don't accept credit cards transfers yet but I hope they will soon have that option avaiable.

Great post, Have a great day,

seagrape said...

depositing peas into the mustard jar - ^.^ cute.

Blur Ting said...

Yah, think about the poor, the homeless and the sick...when you're depositing peas into the jar.

Nick Phillips said...

Sometimes we rant and rave about how we don't have anything but the truth of the matter is, we have lots more than some people will ever have in their lifetime!

The World According to Me said...

Hello La Delirante

I can relate to your life then!

How's the home loan project going?

It really does hit a raw nerve, doesn't it, when you see others far less fortunate than yourself. Especially innocent, young children.

Hope you are having a nice day.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape

How are you?

Next time I get moaned at, regarding the pea and mustard situation, I shall say it's cute!

See you soon.

The World According to Me said...

Hi there Blur

I don't think I'll look at the mustard jar in the same light again!

Happy middle-of-the-working-week Wednesday!

Be over to you in a tick.

The World According to Me said...

Hey Nick

You're so right. Sometimes we love nothing better than a good old moan, but really life aint so bad after all!

Hope you're having a fine day. Any more messages in a bottle?

JYankee said...

it's hard to think about that... then you try and save the world..but we can't can we...we can only help those within a realistic reach..but we who blog...have SO much more than others...but the "grass is always greener on the other side" isnt it?

Spangleystar said...

Can I ask why you have the mustard jar open with your fish and chips and how the pea situation occurs ? I really can't work it out !!!
xxx

The World According to Me said...

My dearest Spangleystar

I didn't mean to baffle you.
The parents, mustard and peas sentence was an ambiguous one.
What I really meant was - I am lucky to have food on the table, and parents near by. Even if my parents moan at me sometimes.
And one of the things they moan about is peas in the mustard jar. I have a dirty habit of sticking my knife in the jar, then on my food, and then in the jar again. Hence I seem to move peas from my plate, into the jar.
(And no, this doesn't happen with fish and chips! I am a tomato ketchup girl when it comes to this meal. And there are never any peas with this particular meal. So, you would be correct in questioning what the heck I am going on about!)

Am I making sense now? Do I ever?!

Xxxxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Yep, you're right, us bloggers do seem to be in a fortunate position.
As for saving the world, phew, that's a big task, but if we can do what we can...

See you soon.

Amel's Realm said...

EXCELLENT post about putting things in perspective. :-))))

You know, maybe someday your wish will come true. Who knows? ;-D

Spangleystar said...

Thanks for the explanation - it surely would be a culinary crime to put mustard on fish,chips and peas ! Tartare or Tomato Sauce every time !!!
xxx

La delirante said...

Hi! The home loan thing is progressing :) We are hoping to move sometime in April or maybe at the end of March :)

Rebecca said...

well, peas in the mustard jar doesn't have quite the same appeal as chocolate in the peanut butter, but still... :)

And you are right. It is good to keep things in proper perspective. It would be lovely not to fight with my paycheck on a monthly basis, but at least there is one. And really, doesn't matter the size of the paycheck, the battle will ensue. We grow to fill the space we have. I've been waging (no pun intended) that war for 20 years, to no avail. Since there are many who don't have a fraction of what I have, I, too, should quit my bitchin'.

r.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Rebecca.

Mmmm. Chocolate in the peanut butter!

You're so right with that point - the more we earn, the more we spend and the more we can battle with our finances! But we should be grateful for that pay check and the fact we have one!

Happy Easter!