Sunday, 2 March 2008

Family things and Terry Wogan

Now where shall I start? It's been an eventful weekend, with one thing and another. How was your weekend dear readers? Have you been busy?
It's been a busy one for me, with some family highs and lows.

It all began on Friday with the atrocious weather. The rain was pelting against the window pane, the ferocious winds were shaking the trees, and the temperature had turned bitterly cold. My cousins husband was on his way home from work, on his scooter, when a car pulled out on him. He had to violently swerve out of the way, to avoid crashing into the car. And as a result of this he skidded in the wet weather conditions and was flung off his bike.
Fortunately an off-duty police officer was near the scene, and ran over to place him in the recovery position and call an ambulance.
The first I heard of the accident was when a text message was received on my mothers mobile, from my aunt, informing us my cousins husband had been rushed to hospital, and she was on her way to my cousins house to baby sit their three children. Can you imagine what raced through my mother and I's mind? In situations like this, you can't help fearing the worst. I literally felt sick to the stomach until I heard all was well and he was on his way home.
How lucky was he? He left the hospital bruised and shaken, but thank goodness he could still kiss his wife and three children good night.
After the accident, my mother was on the telephone to my other aunt, both breathing sighs of relief that the only injuries he'd sustained was bruising, when my mother learnt that my other cousin had been rushed to hospital a few days ago with an epileptic fit. He has never suffered with one in his life. Oh no, something else to worry about! How do parents cope?! He's been fine since and on a happier note he's just announced his engagement and he's planning a huge engagement party. I'm eagerly awaiting my invitation in the post, and I have a funny feeling the perfect dress will be worn once again.

The weather brightened up on Saturday, along with the mood in my house. A friend and I went to a near-by town to purchase mothers day presents. I know, so much for me being creative and making her something! In my defence, I did make her card and I rummaged around charity shops for something suitable to paint and decorate. But I failed to find anything suitable to paint and decorate, and I ran out of time. So pink and white flowers, and a rose painted ornament for the home were bought.
My friend and I also stumbled across an antiques fair which we happily browsed around, admiring the jewellery, china and books, and I treated myself to a £2 bag which was in immaculate condition. A bargain, if I do say so myself.
With aching feet (I was suddenly reminded of the Mobile World Congress!) we stopped off at a pleasant pub for a glass of wine, and stayed there to watch England's entry for the Eurovision Song Contest. An ex Eastenders actress, and an X Factor contestant entered. And I'm not sure who the others were? In Saturday night television tradition, the contestants sang and the general public were allowed to vote for their favourite. No we didn't vote, and to be perfectly honest I wasn't really keen on any of the songs. I wonder if it will be nil points again for us this year?! And Terry Wogan (the Irish presenter) will drink too much Guinness? Or whatever it is that he drinks to help him through the night. Some things, dear readers, never change.

Today is Mothers Day. My mother, father and I took a drive out to country pub, opposite a village green, for Sunday lunch. Minestrone soup, roast beef with all the trimmings, and chocolate fudge cake and vanilla ice-cream were lapped up.
I love Sunday roasts, and hopefully my mother appreciated escaping the kitchen and having the luxury of a meal cooked for her.
Happy Mothers Day, mum! What would I do without you?!
Which brings me to bed time. I'm looking forward to wrapping my duvet around me and reading 'Case Histories' (so far a young girl's vanished and another girl has had her throat cut, not exactly light reading) until my eyes feel sleepy and refuse to stay awake for one second longer.
Here's to another week. I hope it's a good 'un!

Picture of the day:

Happy Mothers Day.

16 comments:

Nick Phillips said...

I'm glad your cousins hubby is okay. I've had a weekend exactly the same as yours minus the accident thingy. I"m just glad the weekends over. Gee, I can't believe I'm actually glad for the weekend to be over!

JYankee said...

like the flowers. and yeah..those "incidents" tend to coincide don't they...? i'm glad everyone is ok. your cousin's husband is one lucky guy... and you and your wine! LOL...i wanna drink some too..this weekend in Tokyo..for Celine's concert!

Mike M said...

I'm glad your ok.

Blur Ting said...

Oh, your mother's day comes really early. Ours is in May. Nice flowers you've got :-)

Strange to read about your cousin suffering from epileptic fit. Recently my 30-yr old friend had it, and last week, Soul Survivor had it, and now your cousin. I didn't think it was that common. Perhaps it has something to do with our hectic lifestyle...

Anyway, take care and have a good week ahead. Our workweek has already started..

La delirante said...

Sorry to hear about your cousins' incidents :( Glad to hear that they are fine though.

I didn't know that you celebrate Mother's day in March. We celebrate it in May (just as Blur Ting) :)

Hope this week will be great for you and that your cousins will be all right.

Krystle said...

Glad to hear your cousins are ok! You had a whirlwind weekend full of news and activities! Sometimes days tend to be like that..either nothing or everything happens!

I hope you are having a good day :)

The World According to Me said...

Hello Nick

It was a scary Friday night, but luckily it ended on a positive note.
Are you still glad the weekends over?! I know what you mean though, some weekends do test you! Roll on the next one is what I say. Let's hope it's a happy but peaceful one!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

Someone was looking after him that night! He was very lucky.
Glad you like the flowers.
So you've noticed that I like wine?!
I bet you can't wait for the concert. I'll raise a glass to the concert this weekend!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Mike

How's it going at your end? Hope you are well.

Myself and my family are all okay now thanks.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

Mothers Day is actually early for us this year. Well it's normally the end of March, rather than the beginning of.

Oh no, what's going on with the epileptic fits?! I'm sorry to hear your friend and Soul Survivor had one.
Apparently my cousin hadn't been eating or sleeping properly, and then he took a flight on a plane. The doctor said 'his inside wiring went hay wire' ! Let's hope all these fits were a one off and they never happen again.
As you say, maybe it's a sign to slow down....

The World According to Me said...

Hello La Delirante

Thanks for your comments. I'm hoping to have a less eventful week!

So you've still got Mothers Day to come? When's Fathers Day I wonder? We celebrate ours in June.

Hope you have a nice week,

The World According to Me said...

Hello Krystle

It certainly was a whirlwind of a weekend! Next weekend will probably be dull and uneventful and I'll be complaining that nothing happened!

Have a good week!

Spangleystar said...

You poor duck I can only imagine what was racing through your's and your Mum's head - thank goodness he's ok !
The card and gift looks beautiful - such a clever stick aren't you !
xxx

Dav DiDi said...

Hi .. You have a nice blog with nice pictures .. :)

The World According to Me said...

Hello Spangleystar

Thank goodness he was okay indeed. One consolation - it scared him so much that he's decided not to ride it again. My cousin is relieved, she hated him out on it!

Glad you like my card. Thanks honey. xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Dav Didi

Thanks for your comments. I will pay you a visit soon.