Monday, 31 March 2008

My little cousin

My little cousin is now engaged to be married. I use the words 'little cousin' as a term of endearment, as he now towers above me and his love life is far more successful than mine!
His future wife and himself held an engagement party in a local church hall at the weekend. And who am I to comment on how young they are? (17 and 18.) I wish them all the future happiness and love in all the world.
It was obvious by looking at them how happy and content they are. (Now the tricky part is staying happy and content! Sorry, I don't mean to sound cynical.) Although I must confess to feeling ancient when I looked at them and their friends, particularly the girls with their short dresses and killer heels (there was a distinct lack of wobbly bits and self consciousness). There were also various tunes spun out by the DJ which I had never heard of before! Ah, these must be the latest club anthems, I thought to myself. I was glad when I heard the familiar voice of George Michael and Mick Jagger. I even got up to dance to these records, but I couldn't help looking over at the youngsters to check out the latest dance moves.Then I sat back down again in the safety of the dark corner, to nibble pizza slices and sip white wine.
The entertainment for me was definitely my cousin Sarah's adorable children. Her daughter found the balloons fascinating and her son was running energetically around the hall to the likes of 'don't stop me now'. They're a pleasure to be around.
I left as a row broke out in the toilets, I'm not sure the exact reason of the heated argument, but usually every good party has one!
I think there must have been some sore heads the next day, and I hope the happy couple had a night to remember. It certainly looked like they did.
He may be all grown up now, with a ring on his girlfriends finger, but it only seems like yesterday since I visited him as a new born baby, and watched him grow up, playing with his Thomas the Tank Engine.
To me, he will always be my little cousin.

Picture of the day:

I love these balloons.

13 comments:

seagrape said...

congratulations to your cousin. i know what you mean about feeling ancient around teenage girls. what is the latest dance move...i am clueless. geez, i feel old. i love watching little ones at dance parties, i never understood weddings where children are not invited. sorry to ramble. have a great week!

Nick Phillips said...

Gosh, 17 and 18 is indeed young. You're right though, the tricky part is staying happy and content. All the best to the two of them ...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape

Thanks for the congrats to my cousin!
The little ones definitely make a party! Especially a wedding party, I agree with you there.

Have a great week too!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nick

17 and 18 is young isn't it. Crikey, if I married the person I was with at 17 I would be in trouble! He was the worst boyfriend ever. Although I couldn't see that at the time!

But hey, all the best to the happy couple.

spangleystar said...

Ah how lovely !

So very young though I almost that was the bride to be in the picture ;o)

Still, lovely to have met the person that you want to spend the rest of your life with at such a young age with so many shared experiences to grow them together...
xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hello my lovely Spangleystar

He, he, imagine if that was the bride-to-be in the picture!

That's a nice way of putting it ' lovely to have met the person that you want to spend the rest of your life with at such a young age with so many shared experiences to grow them together...'

Could be you next?!

xxx

Rebecca said...

What a cutie that little girl is. Congratulations to your cousin and his betrothed, but good Lord they are YOUNG. Well, to be fair, maybe I'm just old :) Best of luck to them. May they continue to know the happiness they feel today, or better yet, may they learn how to nurture it at the same pace.

JYankee said...

Congrats to your cousin..yeah being around young ones makes you feel OLD! wish them the best of luck!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Rebecca

How are you?

She is a very cute girl. And she was ridiculously excited about attending a party!

Wise words: May they continue to know the happiness they feel today, or better yet, may they learn how to nurture it at the same pace.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Thanks for your wishes. Hope you are having a nice day.

Young people make me feel too old!

Amel's Realm said...

Getting married so young????? I hope their marriage lasts, though. :-))))

I know what you mean about his being your "little" cousin. I also can't believe my brother's now going to be a Dad soon he he he he...

And how's your wisdom tooth? What did the doctor say? Gladly my wisdom tooth hasn't been giving me trouble for some time, but perhaps I should go to the dentist when I'm in Indo to check it out since it's cheaper HE HE HE HE HE...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel

How are you?

I hope their marriage lasts too! I don't think when you're 17 and 18 that you realise how much you can change. Let's hope they change together...

I remember reading about your brother approaching fatherhood. How exciting. But I can imagine how you must feel about your 'little' brother becoming a Dad. Where did all the time go?!

I've had a nightmare with my wisdom teeth! Infection developed and has been very painful. But apparently they are not growing through incorrectly, so they don't need to be taken out! But the pain killers and antibiotics have kicked in now and so it all seems like a bad dream!
You have all my sympathy if yours are playing up! And yep, visiting the dentist is far too expensive! Don't get me started on that!

Rebecca said...

Feel free to use it as a toast to them :P