Monday, 4 February 2008

My retreat

Bad day in the office? Life becoming too expensive? The outside world too cold for comfort? If you have answered "yes" to one or more of these questions then I think you need a place of retreat.
I have a place of retreat – my bedroom. And the four white walls have become very familiar recently. Have I ever mentioned how much I love my bedroom? No, well, let me mention it now. It may be on the small side, so am I (height I mean, my width is another matter entirely), but it’s all mine.
I’ve been the sole owner of the room since it was built thirty years ago. My family and I moved into the house, or should I say bungalow, three decades back, and my parents decided it would be nice to build an upstairs.
So a staircase and three bedrooms were built. For a long while workmen occupied our home, and I kept pretending I'd forgotten which room was to be my bedroom (I was only five at the time) and therefore I kept asking to be shown. If I remember correctly, I asked the builders an average of three times a day to show me which room would be mine. "I've forgotten again," I would say. How annoying I must have been.
Over the years the décor and contents have changed on numerous occasions, depending on my age and hobbies at the time. It started off with Sindy dolls and stuffed animals, and then progressed to a desk with a typewriter. Next came the record player and Wham! posters, followed by a sofa bed for friends to permantly crash on. These days it’s filled with books (actually, it's always been filled with books but my reading material has changed and grown with me) and photographs of my friend’s children. And a few ornaments scattered here and there.
I deserted my room for a few years, and much to the surprise and amusement of my family and friends, I moved out and became domesticated. Okay, it took me a while to get into the swing of it, but once I got the hang of it, there was no stopping me!
Unfortunately or fortunately, which ever way you look at it, I realised that my new home and all the odd characters and the crazy life style was not for me. So I came back.
I actually walked back into my bedroom and said "Hi honey, I’m home.”
My father muttered something about he knew he should have knocked that wall down and expanded their room, and my mother complained she would never get her walk-in-wardrobe. But then they explained they were only joking and it would be lovely to have me around again.
And I’m still there. Other than visiting the gym in the last few weeks, I have spent many an evening lounging around in my bedroom, reading ('The Bind Assassin' was a very enjoyable read, interwoven with a novel inside the novel, now it’s 'Enduring Love'), watching telly (I’m really into cookery programmes at the moment, 'Master Chef' and 'Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares' are holding my attention), listening to music and tapping away on my lap top. I don't do all these things at the same time, I hasten to add. I’m not that clever.
As much as I fantasise about owning my own property, for me to decorate and entertain in, I’ll miss my bedroom when I finally spread my wings and fly away again.
And I’d like to think that perhaps the sentiment will be returned.

Pictures of the day:

Scenes from my retreat.

The shoe candles.


Home is where the heart is.


You light up my life.

19 comments:

Krystle said...

I feel the same about my bedroom as well:) I've had the same room for myself for the past 23 years. Now we will soon be moving home for the first time, and I'll surely miss my bedroom. It's not going to be the same again!

Rebecca said...

I love the candles!

It is important to have a refuge, a sanctuary to just unwind. Mine is my bedroom of 15 years, which right now looks like a cyclone has run through it!

Blur Ting said...

I'm envious. I want my own room! But seriously, looking at the pretty feminine touches, I am positively sure your room is very nice and comfy. Can I come sleep on your sofa bed?

Kate said...

Hey, thanks for the award! That's very kind of you! I haven't been able to visit for a few days, so I'm glad I happened to scroll down a bit.

nyumix said...

I like the shoes candles.. very cutes :)

Spangleystar said...

Your width?! You'd fall down a drain these days - just remember you shed any extra pounds you had a while ago now honey - feel good about it !!

Crazy people ??? Words can not explain xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Krystle

23 years is a long time to have the same room. I totally understand how you can get attached to it!
But think of your next step as a huge adventure!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

The candles were a birthday present a few years back, and I've never light them!

You're so right, it's important to have a place you love to unwind. Even
If does look like a cyclone has passed through!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur

Funnily enough, I remembered your comment about your bedroom while I wrote this post. I hope one day you'll have your own room to unwind in.
In the mean time, there is always my sofa bed! It may take you a while to commute, but you are welcome to use it!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nyumix

Glad you like them! I thought they'd make a colourful picture.

The World According to Me said...

You're welcome Kate!

Hope you haven't caught that chill!

The World According to Me said...

Spangleystar, how do you do?

Hmmm. It would have to be a very fat drain for me to fall down it! But thanks anyway!

I don't think there is a word in the entire vocabulary of the world to describe some of those people!

xxx

Amel's Realm said...

Interesting post! As much as I loved my bedroom back in Indo, I longed for the days when I could own my own place without my parents being around. It's not that I don't want to be near them, though. Probably I had been staying with them for a LONG time and I just needed to be on my own. Of course I'm not alone now, but it feels nice to be together only with my hubby. And it's nice that sometimes I spend my time here without him (when he hasn't gone back to work, for example).

I'd never really done anything to my room, though he he he...

Amel's Realm said...

Oh yeah, GREAT pics. I LOVE the sandals! ;-D

The World According to Me said...

Hi Amel

It's nice to hear you enjoy time with your hubby.
How's your course going? Be over to you soon.

Glad you like the pics, I thought I would share them with you!

seagrape said...

wahhh!!! now i miss being single!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape

Being single does have some advantages! But I look forward to the day I have my own family. Maybe then I'll move out?!

三杯雞Sam said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

宮保雞丁Alex said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社