There’s a fine line between love and hate, or so they say.
In matters of the heart, I can see there is an element of truth in this – have you ever loved someone one day, only to find that the next day they have hurt and infuriated you so much, you feel as if you hate them?!
But with other matters, such as prawns and cheese, I think the line between love and hate is a big fat one. I hate prawns with a vengeance but I adore cheese.
There is a point to my waffling (I think?!) as there is a meme circulating planet blog and it’s the love and hate theme.
Since my life is not very interesting at the moment (just you wait till I hit those Barcelona streets, then I’ll have something to write about!), I thought I would put my thinking cap on (it’s a yellow one), delve deep into my murky mind and conjure up a list of my loves and hates in this world.
And (in no particular order) it goes something like this:
1. I love springtime. Winter is all very well but it can drag on and be far too cold and dark. When spring arrives, how refreshing it can be! You can wake up in the morning, look out of your window, and witness the blue skies above, the pink blossom on the trees and the yellow daffodils sprouting their happy, proud heads. Beautiful.
Plus in springtime you can celebrate the Easter holiday, enjoy the nice long Easter weekend, with lots of chocolate eggs to work your way through.
2. I love books. I honestly cannot imagine life without books. I’ve enjoyed reading from a tender young age, and found myself mesmerised by Enid Blyton classics such as ‘The Famous Five’ and ‘The Secret Seven’ and not forgetting the ingenious ‘The Faraway Tree’. Then I moved onto the likes of the ‘Sweet Valley High’ collection for teenagers, to the more grown up and chilling world of Stephen King.
I don’t seem to have as much reading time these days as once upon a time, in the past it has been known for me to sit down and read a whole book in one day. But these days my daily commuting to the office, and my spurts of insomnia, will guarantee a book will be opened and another world will be gratefully escaped into.
3. I love lazy, rainy Sundays. I think there’s something quite special and safe about being indoors when the rain is splashing against the windowpane. Especially on a Sunday, if you have no desire or plans to leave the house.
Pyjamas can be sat in for longer than necessary, the Sunday papers can be idly read, and an Agatha Christie film or a Walt Disney production would be my perfect viewing choice. And then there’s the Sunday roast to be cooked and devoured, with a cheeky glass of wine or two.
Bring on the next lazy, rainy Sunday!
4. I love cheese. No real surprise here! To me a slice of heaven would be a plateful of various cheeses - Stilton, Wensleydale, Feta, Cheddar, Edam. Brie etc etc.
I have one small complaint – why does it have to be so darn fattening?! If cheese was full of vitamins and ingredients which made you loose weight, instead of gaining weight, I would be the healthiest, slimmest, happiest girl that ever lived!
5. I love my family and friends. Where would I be without them? I couldn’t possibly make a list of my loves without mentioning them. That knowing look, the genuine and warm smile, the hug you need, and the knowledge that you are with someone who cares.
Family birthday teas and catch-ups with friends, you can’t beat ‘em!
6. I love George. I think you know which George I am referring to! I won’t bore you to tears with my mini obsession with Mr Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou (that’s his real name) so I’ll just say his voice is rapture to my ears. And when I hear that silky voice and those meaningful lyrics, I am immediately propelled into a happy, content, parallel universe, which I'm often reluctant to leave behind.
7. I love blogging! To think that this time last year I was oblivious to the word and the world behind blogging. One of my favourite times of the day is in the mornings, when I log onto FPE to read a comment which someone has kindly taken the time to write. And then I blog skip and hop to see what’s going on in the lives of my blog friends. So many interesting, colourful and fun blogs to read. And such a brilliant way to interact with people from all over this world.
Moving swiftly on to my hates:
1. I hate people who drive too close to me in their car. It really is one of my pet hates, and guaranteed to make my blood boil! I do not drive my car as if I’m on a racetrack, but neither do I drive it at a snails pace! So why the need to be that close mister?! How come I can see the hairs up your nose and the veins in your eyes?! Back off, slow down, find some patience, and stop that dangerous driving. And stop stressing me out!
2. I hate it when people shut doors in your face. Literally. Have you ever made your way to a shop or the office, and you’re behind someone who has their hand on the door, and then, without checking if someone is behind them, they swing the door back in your face?! Or is it just me this happens to?
It happens to me on a regular basis when I walk through the reception doors in the office. A colleague will be in front, not bother to look behind them, and slam, there goes the door in my face! How rude is that? Maybe it's just me this occurs to?
Can anyone help me out here?!
3. I hate the sound of my alarm clock. It’s never good news. It's always interrupting my (bizarre) dreams and telling me I have to get out of my comfortable, warm bed and face another day.
4. I hate prawns. Yuk! I hate them in their shells, out of their shells, on my plate, or near my plate. I hate the look of them, the texture of them, the taste of them, the smell of them. I hate prawns. Got it?!
Okay, instead of going on and on and writing about everything under the sun which winds me up, I'll do you all a huge favour and stop there. I'm sure you've heard enough by now!
I'll leave you with that prawn comment, my dearest readers.
Pictures of the day (note how blue the sky is today, anyone would think it was springtime!):
China in London.
Happy Chinese New Year.