Monday, 18 February 2008

I'm back

I’m back in the United Kingdom, back in London, back in the office, and back at my desk. And I can honestly say that it feels like I have never been away. Especially when I heard the announcement on the tube this morning, informing half asleep commuters that Oxford Circus tube station was shut and part of the Bakerloo line was suspended. Welcome back!
An alternative route had to be found into work and therefore I was twenty minutes late.
I hate being late for work. I always rush into the office, flustered, muttering “delays on the trains again” thinking that everyone is watching me as I slink onto my chair, and feeling as if I have battled my way into work. Those station closures and suspended lines have a lot to answer for! They need to take full responsibility for my sudden change of mood. One minute I can be happily reading away, the next I can be tutting away with the rest of the carriage, as I realise there are leaves on the track, or signal problems, or the train driver wants to stop off to buy a newspaper and a Mars Bar. Actually I made the last excuse up, but it wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve heard all sorts of delay reasons in my time.
To cheer myself up this morning, after the shock of being back to work and the not such a shock at being late for work, thanks to the transport system, I bought myself a cinnamon and raisin bagel. And toasted it in the new office toaster. It was lovely, and made everything seem that little bit more bearable. Although I had to drink my coffee out of one of the chipped mugs. You have to be in the office kitchen at the break of dawn to find a mug that isn’t chipped. But today I pretended not to notice the chips, nothing was going to spoil my cinnamon and raisin toasted bagel.
Let’s hope my journey home is smoother as I have an important date with the television and the telephone tonight. Yep, it's catch up with the telly and catch up with friends tonight. And I do not, under any circumstances, wish to be delayed. Thank you.

Picture of the day:

Flowers on the window sill.

16 comments:

Spangleystar said...

WELCOME BACK - YOU'VE BEEN MISSED !!!
I got delays this morning too - now I figured that with the kids on half term I'd be able to get into work hassle free...
Aha how wrong I was - if they're not at school they're loitering on train tracks.
And since when did teenagers get up before 9am anyway ?
Get back to being moody in your bedrooms you lot !!!
Here's hoping for less travel chaos for the rest of the week !
xxx

Blur Ting said...

Glad to read your post again! I remember when I went to London many years ago, I kept hearing announcements of train service being shut down. I couldn't understand how that could happen... I guess you are used to it. Here it runs like clockwork and if there is a temporarily shut down (usually due to an accident), people will complain so much. The train company will send loads and loads of buses to bring them to the next station etc. I think we take our service here for granted.

Oh, I love a warm, freshly baked or toasted cinnamon and raisin bun or bagel. Yummy!

seagrape said...

and no one in the office seems to believe you when you blame the trains right?

seagrape said...

lovely flowers, btw.

Nick Phillips said...

Welcome Back :D

I hate being late to work to and I'm always the earliest and first person to be in the office. I like the peace it offers for that few minutes until everyone comes in and the noise starts!

JYankee said...

welcome home... im still under the weather...just checkin in...

The World According to Me said...

Hello my Spangleystar

Thank you for the lovely welcome back.

It's not a good start to the day, is it?!

I hope your journey was better today? Or has it put you off and you're working from home?

Two more days and we will be together again!

xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur ting

I'm glad to be back on the blog again!

London's transport system is shocking. The prices are way too high for the service we receive. The carriages and tracks are so old that there is constant problems and delays. Not to mention the over crowding.

Sounds like your transport system is far more civilised. I'm envious!

Mmmm. Toasted cinnamon and raisin bagels rule ok!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape

You hit the nail on the head! I always feel as if no one believes me, and have to remind everyone that it takes me three trains to get into work, so I have three times the chances of something going wrong!

Glad you like the flowers.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Nick

I know what you mean, it's rare that I'm the first person in the office, but when I am I enjoy the calm before the storm!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Thanks for the welcome back. I'm sorry to hear that you're still under the weather. Get well soon.

Rebecca said...

Sorry about your commute. Man, I hate when that happens!!! We were off on Monday...President's Day. My son is off all week, too. And the trains are still crowded. gah! Oh well!! The week is over tomorrow :)

Rebecca said...

Oh, and I really like the tulips.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

I do like a nice Tulip!

Sometimes you can’t help thinking, where did all these people come from?! It’s not much fun.

三杯雞Sam said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

宮保雞丁Alex said...

,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社