Thursday, 21 February 2008

Books, Brits and Blossom

Isn’t it great how a book can totally absorb you into it’s pages and characters, and you can struggle to put the book down and carry on with your every day life? Well, I think it’s great. That’s how I feel about the book I am reading now, ‘Something might happen’ by Julie Myerson. I bought the book a little while back for 50p in a charity shop. Even better when it only cost you a tiny percentage of the recommended retail price, and your money is going towards charity!
The story begins with a brutal murder in a sleepy England seaside town. The murder certainly awakes and shakes the town. The victim was a mother, a wife, a friend, and a daughter, and as the story unravels the reader witnesses how her murder has affected the lives of the people she has left behind. I love the way Julie Myerson writes with honesty and sensitivity, and observations so clear and poignant that you feel as if you are inside the pages of the book. So I’m having trouble closing the book and leaving the story behind!
Last night my parents and I ordered a Chinese take-away. Sadly my nan is in hospital again, and after a day of visiting her my mother was too tired to cook. Kung Po Chicken and Singapore noodles were piled on my plate, with my book strategically placed next to it. The height of bad manners, I know, to read at the table, but my parents didn’t seem to mind as I stole sneaky glances at the pages.
After dinner I retired to my bedroom to watch ‘The Brits 2008 Awards'. Predictably it was full of drunken acceptance speeches and the wrong introductions, not to mention lots of swearing from the presenters, The Osbournes. What did you expect with them presenting?! Hardly well known for their politeness, are they. The family of Ozzy Osbourne, he whose teeth once ripped off a bats head on stage. Nice. I’ll stick to my noodles thanks.
Anyway, despite Take That winning awards (I have a soft spot for them) and Kylie and Amy Winehouse performing (everyone loves Kylie, don’t they? And that Amy Winehouse is growing on me, rather like her beehive hairstyle keeps growing on her), I was still distracted by my book and I kept missing chunks of the programme.
The show finished, bathtime was a quick dip, and bedtime meant I could wrap my duvet around me and snuggle up to my book and lamp. I dread to think what time I finally closed the book and decided I couldn’t stay awake any longer.
As you can imagine, it was even harder than usual to prise myself out of my bed this morning. I was a little behind schedule, and raced around like a loony. It didn’t help matters that three of us were trying to use the bathroom at the same time and kept colliding into each other. I was in a rush to catch my three trains, and my parents were in a rush to be ready for more workmen. The new kitchen has been installed and what a beauty it is, now we are having new flooring laid and new wallpaper hung. And never let it be said that my parents aren’t creatures of habit – we are having exactly the same wallpaper in the kitchen as the wallpaper we had before.
I practically ran to the station to catch my first train, looking forward to reading my next chapter. But I wasn’t in too much of a hurry to not notice the pretty pink blossom appearing on the trees. Yippee, at this rate it will be springtime before we know it.

Picture of the day:

Blossom time.

15 comments:

Amel's Realm said...

GREAT pic! And it's so much in contrast with the foggy(?) background.

And I also LOVE great books where we can immerse ourselves totally and forget about everything else he he...And I LOVE murder stories! ;-D

The World According to Me said...

Hi Amel

How are you today?

It was indeed a foggy morning, rather like my foggy brain!

Glad you agree with immersing yourself into a great murder story!

Spangleystar said...

Ooohhh can I borrow it when you're done ? Sounds fab although I do hope you can put it down tonight !!!

Amy was amazing last night - ok she looked a little uncomfortable with her jaunty (bad) dance moves - but MY GOD she's got a cracking voice, so talented - just hope she pull herself right, she seemed to be doing a lot better than in previous months...
xxx

The World According to Me said...

Of course honey! I'll pass it on to you.
I have 'I capture the castle' and 'The Kite Runner' in my bag for your return. Thanks ever so for the loans. Cracking good reads.

Amy sounded fab, although I agree the dancing needed working on. She looked like she needed to go to the loo! Or maybe her shoes were killing her?! I know the feeling!
So you didn't watch The Brits in your ball gown again?!

xx

xxx

seagrape said...

was it hard to find the same wallpaper pattern?
love the picture.

Krystle said...

It happens to me as well..sometimes I find a book which I cannot put down until I get to the last page, and then I end up disappointed that I have read it all and there is no more to read!!

How is your nan? I hope she is feeling better..

bdw great pic as usual! I love all your pictures :)

Blur Ting said...

Love the pic. It's something we can't find around here. Wow, I must get that book! I haven't read any page turners in years!

PS: I hope your Singapore noodles was nice :-) No idea what it looks like though cos we have so many types of noodles in Singapore!

Rebecca said...

I am really sorry to hear about your nan, I hope she recovers quickly and fully.

I must admit, when I was young i used to really enjoy Ozzy's music, either solo or with Black Sabbath. yep, I was a bit of a headbanger :)

JYankee said...

beautiful blossom..yeah those award shows.... Amy Winehouse..yeah I like her song "rehab", but that's about it...

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape

Hope you are well.

My parents went in search for new wallpaper, and then discovered the shop sold their original one! Liking the pattern and knowing it would blend with the new kitchen, they decided to stick with the same pattern. Old habits die hard!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Krystle

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes you can read a book too fast and be disappointed when it’s over!

My nan is fighter, bless her, and improving. Thanks for asking.

Glad you like my pictures!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur Ting

How are you?

Thanks for liking the picture. I don’t suppose you do see many blossom trees over there.

The noodles were yummy. That’s one thing you must have a lot of!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

Hope you are okay.

Thanks for my nan’s get well wishes.

Arr, you were a headbanging Ozzy fan! You learn something every day! I hope you stayed away from bats though?!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

Hope you are feeling better now?

Personally I think Amy should say yes, yes, yes to rehab!

Amel's Realm said...

I was SO tired yesterday since after the course we visited my friend then I had to do my homework he he he he...No time for nap, but today I came home from the course and took a nap. Still not enough, but better than nothing HA HA HA...