Friday, 4 January 2008

The perfect dress

'Sale' signs plastered over shop windows, detox plans being discussed at great lengths, avoiding envelopes which look suspiciously like bank statements, and dreary mornings which make you want to stay in bed - it must be January!
Wake me up when it's over! One good thing about it all, I bought a rather fetching dress with matching shoes and bag, for a fraction of its original price. I don't usually rush out in the January sales to see what bargains I can uncover. Normally by January the thought of more shopping makes me feel slightly nauseous.
But this time I had a mission. My mission was to find a suitable (cheap) outfit for the office awards bash, soon to be held at Battersea Park.
Last year I decided I was too poor to buy a glitzy outfit, and couldn't really justify buying a dress which I would probably only wear once, and then come across ten years later, while exclaiming "I forgot I had this! But I'm too fat to wear it now."
So last year I played it sensible and safe and wore my black trousers and black top, with gold shoes and gold bag to accessorise. Big mistake. Every other girl was dressed in a ball gown/stunning evening wear. As soon as I entered the venue, I felt as if I were wearing a flashing sign saying 'Under dressed and sticking out like a sore thumb!'
I can painfully remember standing next to my work colleague and friend (who was wearing a flattering, flowing dress) and another office bod coming over to us, to say how lovely my work colleague and friend looked. When it came to me she merely looked me up and down, silently. How rude. She could of least have pretended I looked nice!
Now you can understand why the suitable (cheap) outfit was essential for this years awards evening. This year I am determined to blend in and enjoy myself.
And who knows, now I have the perfect dress, offers for fancy-nights-out may come flocking in. I may get a million and one chances to wear the dress, and I might not find it discarded in my wardrobe in ten years time, wondering how on earth I managed to slip the item over my ever expanding hips.
I live in hope.
(Expect pictures soonish.)

Picture of the day:

Who would like an emptier life?

18 comments:

JYankee said...

well u only live once...do enjoy!

Hazel said...

a good tag for u have fun..

Blur Ting said...

I'm happy for you that you found the right one :-)
I hope how it feels when we feel we're not dressed our best. You're gonna shine this time!

La delirante said...

I know what you mean. I hate when I feel (or am) underdressed :( and people don't even pretend to ignore it :)

Looking forward to seeing the picture of the dress! :)

Have a happy weekend!

Kate said...

Ooh. I want to see it.

Nick Phillips said...

Have a great fun time and don't forget to give us lots of pictures, k? :D

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Yep, you only live once!
I like your new picture by the way.

I've just realised my 'picture of the day' isn't showing. It was fine on my lap top! Not the first time I've downloaded a picture on my lap top, it displays, and then disappears! Weird.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Hazel

Hope you are well. Thanks for the tag, I'll take a look...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur Ting

This year I am fully prepared! You understand how these things can make you feel!

The World According to Me said...

Hi La Delirante

Nice weekend?

I'll keep you updated with the photos! Be over to you soon.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

How are you?

Pictures coming to Flying Pink Elephants soon!

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Nick!

My sparkly dress and I are determined to have fun!

spangleystar said...

WE WANNA SEE THE DRESS !!!

The World According to Me said...

He, he. Patience my dearest Spangley Star! All shall be revealed Friday! xxxx

Rebecca said...

Hope you have a great evening of it! It is great to find the perfect dress for the occasion. And here in NY, the sales are fantastic! Looking forward to the pictures :)

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Rebecca. I'm really looking forward to the night. Apparently there is a surprise celebrity guest speaker too!

Bought any bargains in the NY January sales?

Rebecca said...

Yes, I definitely took advantage of the January sales last week. Ann Taylor Loft, Marshals, Banana Republic, Target, TJ Maxx and Express relieved me of some of my Holiday Bonus :) Shopped for my husband, son and my own shrinking self :) 'twas lovely. And now Victoria's Secret just launched a sale. What's a girl to do???

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

Sounds like you have taken full advantage of the sales! Feels good doesn't it!