Sunday, 27 January 2008

Weird things about me

We're all a tiny bit weird, aren't we?! Come on, hands up if you have done something recently which comes under the 'weird' category.
Life is full of bizarre moments, well I think so. And I think the below meme proves it. I stumbled across this while blog hopping the other day. It's from one of my favourite blogs: http://ailema4ever.blogspot.com/ and it's titled 'more weird things about me'

Knowing that I have tendencies to be weird and do weird things, I thought I'd have a go at this meme.

1. I have an Aled Jones phobia. For anyone who isn't familiar with the name Aled Jones, let me explain he's a Welsh singer. He's probably a very nice chap, and some people might even say his voice is a joy to listen to. But I'm afraid ever since I heard him sing 'We're walking in the air' his voice has made me shudder. Every time I heard these words on the television or on the radio, my hands would cover my ears and I would have to flee the room. He had that affect on me.
Much to my relief, he disappeared for a few years. And then, much to my horror and dismay, he made a come back. I turned on the television one day and Songs of Praise was on the screen. "It can't be!" I said to myself. "It's him!" And there he was. A few years had passed but I could never forgot that face and that voice.
He's come back to haunt me.

2. I have been driving for seventeen years but I still have problems with parking. Anyone else struggle with this?! It's fine if it's a very large space down an empty road, but once I realise I have to maneuver my car into a tricky space, I panic. Too many times friends have noticed this panic in my eyes and asked if I would like them to park my car. "Yes please," I have often said.

3. I am terribly clumsy. In fact, I know I shouldn't say this and tempt fate, but very soon I'm probably due for another trip/bump/fall. My last major fall was onto a table of drinks on my last birthday night out, what a mess I made.
Somehow I manage to fall down stairs, fall up stairs, bump into tables and trip over thin air. I bruise so easily too. I'm often examining myself and my bruises, sometimes I can't even remember where the bruises came from. But they're there, to remind me how clumsy I am.

4. I have certain ways of eating certain foods. Now please tell me other people do this?! For example, a chocolate biscuit can never be just bitten into. Oh no, it has to be delicately nibbled around the edges, as if I were a mouse nibbling cheese. I turn the biscuit around and around and keep nibbling until there is nothing left to nibble.
Kit Kats must have the chocolate bitten off around the edges, and then the middle piece of chocolate sucked off, until I am left with the wafer to crunch. Do you get the picture? I could go on, but I'll leave it there.

5. Do not, under any circumstance, compare me to that horrid man in 'Sleeping with the enemy', for the benefit of those who haven't seen the film - he really is weird. But (sometimes) I have thought of this film when I've been straightening things. Particularly in cupboards. I'm not so bad now because I live with my parents again, I'm better at eating the contents of their cupboards, rather than straightening the contents.
At my previous home (flat) the soup tins had to all stand together, straight, with labels facing the correct way. And the same rule applied to the spaghetti tins and baked bean tins, etc. Whoa betide anyone who messed my tins up!
These days certain things on my desk in the office, or in my bedroom, have to be straight, otherwise I can not possibly concentrate.

6. Unusual songs often pop into my head and I will have no idea why or how. I can suddenly erupt into "Hot cross buns, hot cross buns, one a penny, two a penny, hot cross buns." Or "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside, oh I do like to be beside the sea."
See what I mean? The happier I am the more I will sing and the stranger the songs will become.
You should count your lucky stars that you don't sit next to me in the office.

7. I've watched so many horror films that I think I have slightly warped my mind.
I've spent many a Saturday evening or a school holiday sitting in the dark, with my best friend at the time, munching our way through bowls of various chocolate and watching a scary movie. They didn't seem to affect us at the time, we would laugh at them rather than let them get the better of us. Then gradually I found myself jumping at shadows and running up stairs, thinking an invisible monster was chasing me. I had what you would call 'an over active imagination.' I don't think all the Stephen King books have helped either.
I still watch the odd horror film, but nothing on the scale of my younger days. I will happily watch a romantic comedy, just to prove I can, and to keep those monsters away.

I think that's enough for now. I don't want to frighten away any readers that I still have left!

Anyone else fancy making a list regarding their own 'strange but true' ways?

Picture of the day:

The toy soldier.

27 comments:

JYankee said...

GEESH you are weird...LOL just kiddin.... i can deal with the parking and humming meaningless tunes....but the lining up of the cans and stuff in the cupboards...wow...you DO resemble that nasty man in 'Sleeping with the Enemy'.....LOL

Nick Phillips said...

I'm terribly clumsy too. I'm forever dropping things, walking into things and I really don't trust myself in a china shop ... LOL!

Oh and that can stuff sure takes the cake ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, there are loads of us who love Aled's voice and agree he's a genuinely lovely guy. Take a big deep breath out of your self-confessed 'weirdness' (hehe...I'm sure you're really not THAT weird :)) but do listen to how Aled sounds now as a baritone. His latest album, "Reason To Believe" is brilliant. So is his voice. Aled is all grown up now with an amazing quality in his voice. You may well be very pleasantly surprised and at last, lose your phobia of years gone by. :)

SV

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

How are you?

Hmmm. I was wondering what reaction my tin straightening would cause! Is it that bad then?!
Oh dear. No comparisons to that nasty man please!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Nick

Hope you are having a good day.

I suggest you stay out of the china shops!
Actually, that reminds me, years ago a friend and I knocked over a whole display of china mugs in a supermarket! Boy did they make a racket and a mess. I think we had to pay for them if I remember correctly. It was an expensive shopping trip.

The World According to Me said...

Hello anonymous

I really didn't mean to cause any offence with my Aled Jones comment.
I can appreciate he has an exceptional singing voice. Crikey, you should hear me sing!
It's just some deep rooted weirdness from my childhood, which I need to address and deal with!
Whenever I see him on the telly, he does come across as a genuinely nice guy.

The World According to Me said...

I feel bad about the Aled Jones comment now!

Spangleystar said...

How much is that doggy in the window..
There's another one you'll struggle to get off your mind now !

With you on the tin thing sweetie !

Now, as a witness of the clumsiness and a parker of your vehicle for many years now I can confirm that you haven't a nasty bone in your body and therefore your Aled Jones phobia, is in fact an actual and genuine phobia (- ie something that is intense & with no rational explanation) it is no reflection on how you feel about him as a person or anything else, and I'm sorry SV, you can't just get over it that easy - I know I have the same feeling when ever Daniel Bedingfield's 'if you're not the one' comes on the radio - hot rushes, the desire to be sick and creepy skin sensations - uurgh !!!

So anyway what I'm trying to say is it's irrational and you shouldn't feel bad for saying it. If you want to cure it, don't try and do so by exposure therapy alone - I'm available at £200 an hour ;o)

Rebecca said...

ah, what's a little OCD among friends?

I too must confess to a little clumsiness. I don't usually fall, but dang, to be nearly 42 years old and have both my shins a near permanent black and blue is absurd! And what's this one on my wrist from???

I hate horror flicks, though, and never heard of Aled Jones. Is he like Josh Grobin? If so, I understand entirely.

Amel's Realm said...

Hey, THANKS for mentioning me as one of your fave! ;-D

INTERESTING facts!!!

1. I had to look him up at youtube he he he...So he's the one who's haunting you, eh? Hope he'll stop bothering you! ;-D

2. I don't drive. :-D

3. I almost SCREAMED when you said "bruises" 'coz I've found some bruises whose sources I don't even remember HE HE HE HE HE...

4. I think I do have the same habit for some types of food hi hi hi...

5. Well, I like arranging my novels a certain way. If someone else moves one, I'd know right away and I'll put it back where it belongs. ;-D

6. When I first started my English course (I was about 10 years old - back then in Indo they only started teaching English in Junior High School), I was taught that song "Hot cross buns", so I know how to sing it too he he...

7. I LOVE horror movies! *grin*

Nice to know you better!!!

Blur Ting said...

Wow, you seem to have mild OCD like my son. I'm totally disorganised, you would go mad if we lived in the same house!

seagrape said...

i think all these things just add to your cuteness ^.^

The World According to Me said...

Spangleystar, the one and only.

No more doggies in the window today! The tune was sang yesterday!

Arr, you know what I mean about the tin thing! I knew I could count on you.

Yep, you have very kindly been a parker of my car, and a key witness to my clumsiness.

Let's not talk about walking in the air and if you're not the one. I'm glad someone knows where I'm coming from. Another good reason why we are friends!

xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hello Rebecca

How's life been treating you?

Any more bruises today? I hope not!

So you won't be watching any horror flicks tonight?!

You're right, what's OCD amongst friends

I don't know much about Josh but here's an insight into Aleds world (if you are still interested):

Aled Jones (born 29 December 1970) is a Welsh singer and television/radio personality and broadcaster who first came to fame as a boy soprano. He was raised in a Welsh-speaking community in the small Anglesey village of Llandegfan.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel

How are you today?

No problem with the mention, I'm a new reader to your blog but a keen reader!

So you know the 'Hot cross buns' song! You'll go far with that song!

Good point, I like to organise my books in a certain order too!

It's always nice to get to know people better, I think!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur Ting

Hope you are well.

Oh I can be messy too! If I'm in a rush in the mornings, which is normally the case, it gets messy.
It's just certain things which have to be certain ways. Okay, I admit it, I have mild OCD!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape

Be over to you soon. Hope you and your family are all loving your new home.

Next time someone says I'm weird, I think I'll nick your line 'it adds to my cuteness' and see if I can get away with it!

Amel's Realm said...

By the way, I LOVE all the pics you took that you display in your sidebar! ;-D

They take me to splendid places in the realm of my imagination...mmmmm...SUPERB!!!

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Amel, nice of you to say so!

nyumix said...

Haha, I am a clumsy person too. And sometime a bit lazy.. At least that's what my mother said.. haha:)

La delirante said...

Aled Jones!! I have been trying to find both the name of the song and the singer for almost four years!! I have just found him on youtube after you said the name of the song which sounded familiar to me :) Thanks!! :)

I bought a CD with many sort of "New age" songs but then I lost the case and I didn't know the name :)

Great post :)

Have a lovely day!

Rebecca said...

Hiya. Life is treating me fairly well, thanks :) No more bruises, but I am a bit sore...moving furniture, gym workout, moving more furniture, and yoga have been my last 3 days...

Nope, no horror flicks, just the State of the Union address for me, and presidential debates. Now THAT'll give you the willies. That and boy sopranos...

Have a great day!

Blur Ting said...

Hi World, you may be weird, but you have a big heart. I have given you an award!

Kate said...

I suspect that the reason you're uptight about parking is that it seems to be a big deal to Brits. EVERY TIME my husband does a tidy parallel parking job, he says stuff like, "Now, you Americans don't really know how to park. In the UK, we.." etc...etc...

The World According to Me said...

Hi La Delirante

How are you?

Glad to be of assistance with Aled!

Be over to you soon, been a little side tracked with that thing called ‘work’ recently!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

Thanks ever so much for thinking of me with the award!
It’s an honour to receive it.

Hope you are enjoying your day.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

How you doing? (As Joey in Friends would say!)

He, he. Your husband sounds an expert parker, unlike myself!

Parallel parking?! Nope, I have never mastered it!