Wednesday, 23 January 2008

Did you know?

Our office kitchen is full of interesting facts. I have a sneaky suspicion the office manager (he’s a George fan as well by the way, and often stops me at reception to discuss him) is responsible for trying to educate our minds with environmental issues.
For instance, the cupboards in the kitchen are now covered with the following information:

Lighting a typical office overnight wastes enough energy to heat 1,000 cups of tea.

A photocopier left on overnight uses enough energy to produce 1,500 copies.

Keeping lights on for 15 minutes uses 500 times more energy needed to switch lights on and off.

Turning the thermostat down 1% in winter can save up to 8 % of our energy consumption.

I have two questions – What is a typical office? Do I work in one of these typical offices?
Seriously though, everyone should be concerned with the environment and these facts are a crucial reminder that we can all do our bit and make this world a better, not to mention more economical, place to live in.

And while we are on the subject of waste, I need to stop wasting/spending money this month. To use a familiar phrase, I need to ‘tighten my purse strings.’ Christmas, the December birthdays and the odd night out have left my bank balance, visa card and store card dangerously short of funds.
So, I am now going to take full advantage of my gym membership and the television set in my bedroom, and stay away from the cash dispenser. For as long as possible. Probably until next pay day, or my trip to Barcelona.
I can also predict extra hours required in the office, for the World Congress preparation, which will keep me out of mischief for a while.
But one small consolation - these cheap non wastage nights ahead should allow me extra time for blogging, you lucky readers!

In the meantime, I've got to get back to my pile of work in my ‘typical’ office…

Bye for now.

Picture of the day:

Tulips from Amsterdam.

18 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love the tulip picture. Just beautiful. Not sure that a typical office is, really....open about 10 hours a day? I shut my office light off when I leave for the day. But it is a good reminder of what the actual cost of our power consumption is...

And I am all for tightening the old purse strings. Sale or no sale, I MUST NOT SHOP :)Off to the gym tonight myself. Then some telly. Or a book.

r.

Krystle said...

Interesting office facts! It reminds us of little things every one of us can do to protect the environment.

We're in the same boat with regards to money matters - I spent so much money in December and in the January sales..that I really need to stay away from the shops. The fact that I'm in the middle of exams and I don't have much time to go out is helping a bit at least :)

I hope you're having a good week! :)

Blur Ting said...

I have just been complaining to my friend that it's so easy to overspend these days, especially with 2 growing kids. Plus I notice basic stuff are getting more costly nowadays. Gotta tighten those purse strings...maybe after that visit to the hair salon.

Nick Phillips said...

BT is right when she says its easy to overspend especially with growing children who constantly eat non stop ... LOL!

I've tightened my wallet so much that I doubt I can tighten it anymore ...

Oh well, those assignments I do seem to help ... hehehe

spangleystar said...

Good for the OM ! People need to be reminded to do their bit - I've seen my neighbours throw glass and plastics into the rubbish, when there is a recycling bin just next to it - grrr...

Also writing a list for grocery shopping means that you think about the quantity and don't buy the junk (crisps etc) - but are also not left with any food waste at the end of the week ! Great for the purse, the budget and the environment !

Apart from those with kids, that grow too quickly ! - buying quality clothes that will last, will help the purse strings and the planet too, people need to learn how to fix stuff as well...

Anyway rant over - can you tell that I hate waste ?! xxx

La delirante said...

Interesting post. Loved reading the facts ;) Would have never imagined that re photocopy machines :)

Great picture!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Rebecca

Glad you like the picture. Tulips are one of my favourite flowers, along with sunflowers and lily's. Although I have never met a flower that I didn't like!

So you've been avoiding the sales now and tightening the purse strings too? Good luck with it all! Have a great weekend.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Krystle

I thought I would enlighten you with our office kitchen facts!

December has cost me a small fortune! So we're in the same boat? I have a feeling it's a big boat! I expect most people are making cut backs in January.

All the best with your exams.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur Ting

I can imagine the cost of living with two growing children! I only have myself to look after, and that's expensive enough!

Hair salon is an essential part of life though! Mind you, I have a hairdresser who comes to my house and she charges no where near as much as the salon. Which is handy.

The World According to Me said...

Hello my adorable Spangleystar

I can tell you hate waste!
Tut, tut, to your neighbours!

Luckily we recycle paper here, as it's shocking how much publishing houses can use.

I hope you are shining brighter today.

xxx

The World According to Me said...

HI Nick

Arr, yes, the constantly hungry son! I remember reading about him. Have you still got a lock on the fridge?!

Hurray for your assignments!

Can you hear me tightening my strings even tighter?!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Delirante

I thought I would share my facts with blog land! Makes you think though. I wouldn't of imagined that about photo copiers either.

Thanks for the picture compliment.

Happy weekend!

Hazel said...

Hi,here a Big Bang - World Record Tag for u. Have fun.

Kate said...

I like little facts like that. It makes me feel as if one person can actually do a smidgen to make a difference.

nyumix said...

Tulip is beautiful. I live in the neighborhood but never take the picture of it. Maybe this year, when the tulip season come.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Hazel

Hope you are well.

Thanks for the tag. I'll get onto that soon...

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate.

Exactly, it's good to know that we can all do a little something to make a big difference.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nyumix

I couldn't resist photographing the Tulip. Would like to see some of your pics when you take them...