Friday, 11 January 2008

An awarding time

Underneath a canopy of twinkling star light, an indigo-blue frozen lake surrounded by glistening snow-topped fir trees, created an enchanting atmosphere. 'The Winter Olympics’ came to Battersea Park last night, for the office awards evening. With a three course meal and plenty of wine.
There was also a roller skating rink, dodgem cars, circus performers and Olympic hoops. And the comedian Jimmie Carr presented the awards. Although many people were surprised to see him, because my work colleague and friend, and I, decided to start a rumour that the surprise celebrity guest would be the comedian Russell Brand. Rumours travel fast in our offices!
My department was nominated for three awards, commended for one, and we were the winners of 'the best sales team'. Not bad hey.
The food was good too – Canadian crab cakes with iced sweet chili sorbet and beetroot and herb salad. Followed by lime roasted breast of corn fed chicken, wrapped in pancetta and served on a spiced pumpkin and potato puree, with an aubergine and red pepper gateau and a roast tomato, mango and red wine sauce. Dessert was custard tart, scented with nutmeg and poached plums and armagnac to complement.
Ten out of ten to the organisers for keeping 2,000 people happy.
It was almost perfect. I had to loose or break something, didn’t I?! This time my mobile phone was the victim. I’ve managed to crack the screen so it’s now unusable. And to top things off, I stupidly cancelled the insurance policy at Christmas time to save myself some money.
Therefore I am now without a mobile, without mobile insurance, and without money to buy a new mobile until pay day. It's quite an annoying and isolating feeling.
One of these days I’ll stop breaking and loosing things. Surely that's not too much to ask?!
But at least I'd dressed appropriately this year.

Pictures of the day:

The bar.


The fire.


The trees (and the dress!).


The table.



The comedian.

17 comments:

seagrape said...

that picture with jimmy carr is too cute.
sorry you lost your phone :(
at least now you'll have a new phone to match your new camera.

Blur Ting said...

Congrats on your team! You must be so good at your job! You look so nicely put together in that outfit. Nice! Sorry about your phone though. I would be completely lost without a phone these days.

Krystle said...

Nice pics! You looked great and the atmosphere looks really nice:) Sorry about your phone though :(

Have a great weekend!

Nick Phillips said...

Congrats to your team :D Sorry about your phone though. I know I can't live without my phone for one day even!

Lovely pictures :D

Kate said...

Awesome dress! Your company has the best parties...

La delirante said...

Hi!! Wow! I love the dress! You look fantastic! Sorry about your phone :(

nyumix said...

Nice pictures. The place look so nice too. :0

If you don't mind I would like to put you in my blog roll :)

Wanna exchange link with me ?

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape

How are you?

Glad you like the pic!

You're right, new camera and new mobile. A new brain would be good too!

The World According to Me said...

Thanks for the congrats and compliment Blur Ting.

Pity about my mobile though!

Be over to you shortly.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Krystle.

Hope you are well.

Thanks for your comment! It was indeed a great atmosphere.

Be over to you soon.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nick

You understand what it's like not to have a mobile! What did we do before mobiles?!

Glad you liked the pictures.

Hope you had a great weekend.

The World According to Me said...

Thanks Kate!

I must admit, my company do know how to throw a party!

The World According to Me said...

Hi La Delirante

How is life treating you?

Nice to hear you liked my dress, minus my mobile attached to it!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nyumux

I'd love to be on your blog roll! Thanks. I shall be visitng you very soon....

Amel's Realm said...

Now I've seen your pics for the first time. You're a GORGEOUS woman! :-))))

Amel's Realm said...

Oh yeah, almost forgot...in the other post you mentioned you'd love to visit Lapland? That's GREAT! If you love serenity and snow, then this is the place for you he he he...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Amel's Realm

I would love to visit Lapland, it's always appealed to me.

Wow, thanks for the compliment, I've never really thought of myself as gorgeous but thanks anyway!