Thursday, 17 January 2008

18 days to go

In 18 days time I will be sitting in an aeroplane. Destination: Barcelona! This is not for a holiday, although I will have a little free time, but the purpose of the trip is to attend the Mobile World Congress conference.
I will be manning the departments exhibition stand, and ensuring all magazines are distributed correctly. Comfortable shoes and a suit jacket are the essential criteria.
Hang on a minute, did I just say comfortable shoes?! Yikes, I don’t possess any, apart from my trainers and somehow I don’t think the trainer look will be acceptable. I must remember to scan the shoe shops after pay day in search of flat, comfortable shoes. Wish me luck.
And the suit jacket, I do hope it’s not too tight after the Christmas food and the strawberry creams. I must remember to dig it out of my wardrobe and check all is well. All is well meaning that it actually still fits me.
It's official - my wardrobe and the office are now in World Congress preparation.
Issue sizes for the magazines are at an all time high, due to advertisers realising the coverage and impact their products will have. I’ve lost count how many times I have said to a supplier, “Yes the magazine will be circulated at the conference.”
As well as advertisements spilling out of the magazines, all sorts of weird and wonderful inserts and outserts are being booked. Specification sheets are on demand and a few times I’ve been caught scratching my head, trying to fathom out the latest weird and wonderful booking.
For the past goodness knows how many years, my company have produced daily newspapers for the show. The profit margin for these dailies was exceedingly high, but it also meant for fours days on the trot I had to get out of bed at 5am. I would then head to the conference for 6am, clutching my Starbucks coffee and barking daily newspaper orders at the distribution company (as well as distributing newspapers myself). A production controller’s life is far from glamorous.
This year we are no longer producing the daily newspapers, bad news for profit, but good news for my body clock. I can have a whole extra hour in bed each morning of the conference. But don’t worry; there will be plenty of other things for me to do and to rush around fretting about.
However, you can be sure that I’ll take some time out to photograph 'picture of the day' for Flying Pink Elephants.
Hey, that's the fun part!

Pictures of the day:

Last years World Congress


End of the show.

17 comments:

Spangleystar said...

I wonder what celebrity you'll see in Barca this time ? Maybe GEORGE MICHAEL - now wouldn't that be good ?

If you could say just one word to him - what would it be ? Choose carefully now !!! I think in reality you'd actually be frozen on the spot !!!
xxx

Kate said...

You may not think it seems glamorous, but...I think it sounds cool!

nyumix said...

Ow.. you must be so excited for your trip. :)

Blur Ting said...

Wah, Barcelona! I'm sure you can take some time off to look-see.

I do not like wearing flats, I prefer something with at least 1 inch heel. For days like this, I wear my comfy loafers that's slightly elevated at the back (but still appear flat).

Your job sounds fun. I hope you'll have a good time at the conference.

JYankee said...

alright! Barcelona... hmmm...I'd love to go one day..must not be that far for you! Where was last year's world congress? do take some time out to enjoy!

Amel's Realm said...

Barcelona sounds FUN. ;-D Hope you get an extra hour of sleep during the conference and still you get to browse around the place he he he...

Take care!!!

Nick Phillips said...

Barcelona? Gee, lucky you :) Have fun on your trip and make sure to find a little time to enjoy, k?

Happy weekend to you :D

La delirante said...

Wow! Barcelona! That sounds soo great! How exciting! :) I went there in 2002 and I absolutely loved it :)

The World According to Me said...

Hi Spangleystar

Last year Craig David, this year, who knows?!
But George Michael would be my first choice, naturally!

Gosh I think you might be right, if I met him I probably would freeze!

xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

The early mornings and rushing around like a mad woman is not so glam, but I guess a trip to Barcelona with flights / hotel accommodation / restaurants on expenses is pretty cool!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nyumix

How are things with you?

I must admit it will be nice to have a change of (Essex) scenery!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur Ting

I know what you mean, if shoes are too flat they can hurt too!
But I'm definitely not wearing heels to the conference. Once I made that mistake and I was hobbling and complaining about my feet for days!

Be over to you soon...

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

Yeah for me it's not too far to travel.
It's been held in Barcelona for the past two years, but before that it was in Cannes.
I recommend Barcelona as a place to visit. I'll have a couple of free days to sight see this year!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Amel

How are you?

The extra hour in bed is a bonus!
I'll make sure I leave time for browsing too!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nick

Hope you had a nice weekend?
I'll let you know all about Barcelona when I return!

The World According to Me said...

Hello La Delirante

I must admit, it is a great place. This will be my third time, so I shouldn't complain! You enjoyed it too then?

Hope you are well.

Amel's Realm said...

I've been doing fine but just a bit busy these days, so I've been behind in visiting my blogging friends he he...