Wednesday, 12 December 2007

Who am I?

How many 2008 calendars does a girl need? I have four. It’s not as if I keep buying them and forgetting I already I have one (I’m not that absent minded) but at this time of the year, I am forever being sent/given calendars.
For all my sins, in the office, I am one of the contacts for our ‘preferred list of suppliers’, which basically means sales representatives from printing companies are often telephoning me, or dropping in the office, to see if they can generate new business.
After writing my blog yesterday, and feeling safe in the knowledge that half the working day was over, I received a
telephone call. My heart sank as I realised it was a sales representative on the prowl for new contracts. He'd popped in and wondered if he could take up five minutes of my time. Normally, I would happily walk downstairs to the meeting room and flick through brochures, appreciating paper finishes and colour reproduction. But yesterday was not a normal day. Yesterday I was wondering how I could possibly look and sound intelligent.
Maybe it wasn’t the most professional thing to say, but I felt it only fair to warn the sales rep.
“I’m not my usual sparkling self today. It was the office Christmas party yesterday.”
He gave me a sympathetic, knowing look, and shook his head, saying “Oh dear.”
After this comment, Mr sales rep said I was doing remarkably well under the circumstances. Hmm, I thought, surely he is being polite? Then again, he has never met me before so he probably thinks that I always look like this.
I must admit I was pretty impressed with the colour brochure he handed me. It had been personalised with my name! There were pictures of Father Christmases on one page, and on each Father Christmas there was a letter taken from my name, so the overall look was Father Christmas spelling my name out! The result? Personalisation with high visual impact!
I was then handed a 2008 calendar.
“Thank you,” I found myself saying. “I need a calendar.”

Today, I'm back to my old self, and feeling human again. I am ready to conquer the world, and the universe. (But no more calendars please!)
Or, rather than conquering the world and the universe, maybe I’ll just stick to my list of things to do, which includes a tag from my friend at:
http://blurting.blogspot.com/

This is how it works. Use the first letter of your name to answer each question. Must be places, names…Nothing made up. Can’t use own name for boy/girl’s name question. If can’t answer, skip to next one.

As I began to attempt this, I realised most people in the bloggisphere know me as ‘The World According to Me’ or ‘Flying Pink Elephants’. So, I’ll give you a clue to my true identity – my name begins with N and rhymes with picky. Oh how mysterious I am!

1. Famous Singer: Neil Diamond.
2. Four Letter Word: Nest.
3. Street: No entry street!
4. Colour: Navy blue. (Interesting fact - the first recorded use of Navy
blue as a colour name in English was 1840.)
5. Gifts/Present: Nightdress.
6. Vehicle: Neon coloured car.
7. Things in Souvenir Shop: Notebook with the name of the place printed on
it.
8. Boy Name: Noah.
9. Girl Name: Nora. (What old fashioned names I have chosen.)
10. Movie title: Nightmare on Elm Street. (1, 2, Freddies coming for you!)
11. Drink: Nettle tea.
12. Occupation: Nappy maker. (Hmm, that was the first thing that came into my
mind.)
13. Celebrity: Natalie Portman.
14. Magazine: Now.
15. U.S. City/State: - New York.
16. Pro Sports: Netball.
17. Fruit: Nectarine.
18. Reason for Being Late to work: No alarm clock today!
19. Something you throw away: Newspaper, after you have read it of course.
20. Something you shout: No way!

Okay, I'm going to tag anyone who reads this, and knows their name. Especially:

http://hle-patienceofasaint.blogspot.com/

http://seagrapejelly.blogspot.com/

http://katediggins.blogspot.com/

http://mminzes.blogspot.com/

http://ladelirante.blogspot.com/



Picture of the day:

13 days to go.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so tricky aren't you Nelly !
xxx

La delirante said...

Wow! Thanks a lot for the tag! I am flattered! Oh my goodness! My first letter is W!! So I think it will be kind of difficult! (well, I am thinking in Spanish actually, because in English there are many words that start with a W) :)

I haven't received any 2008 calendars yet :( I really need one :)

That sounds sweet the personalised gift "Father Christmas spelling my name out! The result? Personalisation with high visual impact!"

I believe that perhaps your name could be...Nicky??or perhaps Naty??

Have a lovely evening!

Nick Phillips said...

I work in an Ad agency and I've only got one miserable calendar so far, pathetic ain't it? :D

Blur Ting said...

Well, you certainly got your act together after the office party and did a wonderful job on the meme. Love your clever answers!

You know what, I used to love receiving those paper samples when I was in design business. You'd miss them once you're out of the industry. I hardly even get nicely produced calendars nowadays cos everyone's cutting cost. I do get the mass-printed ones though... I do miss the creative industry!

The World According to Me said...

Hello anon

I am a tricky one, but I'm no nelly!

xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hello La Delirante

W hey, I shall be checking your blog to see what you have come up with!

Hope you receive a 2008 calendar soon. Otherwise, you can have one of mine!

You have guessed my name correctly. A big, gold star for you!

Have a lovely evening too.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nick

Only one?! Are you expecting to have others flocking in soon? Maybe all singing, all dancing calendars coming to a desk near you very soon?

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

I had to make a quick recovery! Glad you like my answers, some were trickier than others!

I must admit, the calendars and Christmas cards I have received from printers and agencies are pretty impressive.
Today I received a Christmas card with 'Merry Christmas Nikki' written in gold on one of the balls! I'm smling at it now. I'm easily pleased.

seagrape said...

trying to picture a neon colored car...brings me back to the 80s! and there you go - another reference to George Michael :)
thanks for the tag.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape

This George Michael related stuff is catching!

Hope you are well.