Tuesday, 11 December 2007

The office Christmas party

What a difference a day can make. Yesterday the office was full of enthusiastic, well dressed people. The non suit wearers were dressed in suits, the suit wearing people were wearing their best suits, the glamorous girls looked even more glamorous, the girls who normally dress down had made a special effort to dress up, and as for me, I actually wore a little black dress, with a touch of cream.
Today it’s a very different story. The office is full of pale and tired people. I would even go as far as to say, certain individuals are looking quite scruffy. No offence meant! Water and coffee are being guzzled at an alarming rate, and there is a whiff of bacon sandwiches and McDonalds in the air.
If you haven’t already guessed by now (although the post title does give the game away!) yesterday was the office Christmas party.
For the occasion, a room, with bar and dining area, was hired at a London night club.
My meal consisted of breaded goats cheese with red onion jam, chestnut and apricot turkey parcel, with seasonal vegetables and roast new potatoes, followed by strawberry and champagne roulade. I enjoyed every mouthful. My only complaint was - our table for four, seated ten people. Cramped was one word to describe it.
After dinner, the bar and dance floor proved to be very popular. I had a boogie, with wine glass in hand, and the boogie turned into a dance frenzy when I heard the words ‘Wake me up before you go go’. You can count on Wham! to get a party going! Although I know I am slightly biased.
As you can see from my colleagues faces today, everyone took full advantage of the free bar. Myself included.
However, I am extremely pleased to announce that I did not loose my camera/purse/bag/mobile phone/shoe. Everything is still in tact.
But please, no difficult questions today. Thank you.

Picture of the day:

Disco time.

9 comments:

La delirante said...

Hi! Loved your post!!! It is so well written I almost felt there :) I am definitely one of those girls who " normally dress down had made a special effort to dress up" Usually my office looks like yours "full of pale and tired people. I would even go as far as to say, certain individuals are looking quite scruffy" In the office next door the girls are always well dressed and make up and perfume and blow dried hair and jewelry...me, I still struggle to get up to be on time :(

My staff party will take place on Friday at a fancy hotel and I look forward to it! I already have the dress and shoes (I feel like Cinderella LOL)

I love your blog. I hope you don't mind if I add it to my blogroll.

Have a lovely evening!

The World According to Me said...

Hello

Glad you liked my post. Thank you for the compliment.

I'm the same, I don't leave myself enough time in the mornings to be glamorous!

Fancy hotel sounds good to me! It is nice to dress up every now and then, and the Christmas party at a fancy hotel sounds just the excuse. Will you be taking and posting photographs, I wonder?

Don't mind one bit, being added to your blogroll. Thanks!
I'll be adding your blog to 'the blogs I enjoy'.

Enjoy your evening!

Blur Ting said...

SOunds like a fun party. Wish I were there... An off day after the party right would have been perfect!

seagrape said...

i love the different ways you include George Michael into your posts.

Anonymous said...

Seagrape has hit the nail on the head - I think there is definitely an award owing to you for creative ways to include George in blogland !

You must feel like me - after a Gala dinner last night, very civilised with Kate Adie as the guest speaker - the sales boys trashed my room, drunk my minibar and I had to throw them out at 5am - We should have a junk food lunch together !!!
xxx

Blur Ting said...

Oh my, I just realised that is a picture of a disco ball! I thought it was an upside down wine glass :-)

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

It can be an upside down wine glass if you'd prefer it to be?!

A day off yesterday would have been ideal. Unfortunately my workload would not allow it.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape

How are you?

It's a skill I have - incorporating George into my life!
When 'Wake me up before you go go' came on, it was amazing how many people looked over at me and laughed!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Anon

You have all my sympathy. I know how rubbish you must feel! 5am?! Crikey.
I suspect it's a coffee and carbs day for you? I wish you all the best!

xxx