Tuesday, 4 December 2007

Look out, here I come

Guess what happened to me on the train this morning? There I was, minding my own business, and engrossed in ‘The Kite Runner’ (excellent book by the way, begins in 1970’s Afghanistan, a real eye opener and tear jerker, sensitively written, telling the life story of the narrator) when I spotted a spare seat. Oh goody, I thought to myself, I can rest my weary legs and give my arm a break from my large and fully packed bag. So I stepped backwards, and I was about to sit down, when quick as a flash, out of nowhere, a woman came flying along and literally pushed, yes pushed me out of the way, and sat down on the spare seat.
“You must really want that seat!” I said to her. She ignored me. And then closed her eyes for the remainder of the journey, so she didn’t have to look at me glaring at her from over the top of my book.
Some people!
Another thing that happened to me this morning - I opened the cupboard under the stairs, to remove a can of soup from the never ending supply, when I realised there were no cans of soup! The never ending supply had ran out!
I couldn’t even open the fridge in the kitchen, to see what replacement food I could pack in my large bag, as there is no fridge in the kitchen! There are also no cupboards, no sink, no freezer, no washing machine, nothing. The room is an empty shell.
Before you start stressing that we have been burgled, and the kitchen (and the cans of soup) have been stolen, let me explain it’s been ripped out and a new one is being installed as I write this.
Due to the lack of kitchen, the traditional (at home) family birthday tea was cancelled last night. It was my mothers birthday. Instead, me, mum, dad, and my mum’s lovely best friend, went to a local pub/restaurant for food and drink. None of us had actually been in the local pub/restaurant before, but it came recommended through a friend of a friend. My father commented that he'd driven past it nearly every day for the past 48 years, but had never once stepped inside.
Last night we all stepped inside, and soft lighting, an open log fire, a large Christmas tree in the corner, and rustic tables greeted us. The only fault was the service, the waitress was far too slow, messed up the drinks order and forgot my mothers mashed potato.
My meal was faultless though – goats cheese tart, with red onion and apple, and rocket salad, followed by mushroom, parmesan and herb risotto, then banoffee pancakes and ice cream for dessert.
Now you can understand why I reached for the healthy and low fat soup this morning.
Never mind, I'll be be exercising tonight, I shall be ice skating in Hyde Park. I haven’t ice skated for years, so I’m hoping I’m not too rusty, and that I don’t do anything too embarrassing. Hmm. We’ll see.
And if anyone gets in my way, maybe I should take a leaf out of Rude Woman On The Train’s book, and push ‘em out of the way! Nah, I’m far too nice and polite for all of that.

Picture of the day:

My favourite flowers.

12 comments:

seagrape said...

nothing beats ice skating outdoors - have a great time!

Anonymous said...

So much for the season of goodwill - commuting is stressful enough without selfish aggressive individuals making it worse. You may not have got a seat but you at least retained your dignity !!!

I'm racking my brains to think of a local pub you have never been in -Perhaps you can enlighten me!!!

Have a fab time tonight honey - make sure you tuck away your pinkies if you fall over !!!

xxx

patience of a saint said...

Hello there FPE, its time like these when you wish that you were a witch and could cast a spell. I wished the very same thing today when someone cut me up whilst driving. I momentarily closed my eyes and wished for a police car but alas nothing apart from me being extremely annoyed. Needless to say that you are the bigger woman and she will get hers, karma will see to that. Hope you had a lovely evening and you are bruise free in the morning. Look forward to seeing the pics x x x

Kate said...

I think I would give almost anything to be sitting in a cozy pub right now.

Blur Ting said...

You know what? I have ice skating phobia. I imagine I'd fall and the blades are going to cut me...
I'm sure you're a good skater. I admire them.

Nick Phillips said...

I can't ice skate even if my life depended upon it ... LOL!

Oh, and those are my wifes favourite flowers too :)

The World According to Me said...

Helle Seagrape.

Thanks for your wishes. I will be posting all about it. It was quite an eventful night! All shall be revealed soon....

The World According to Me said...

Hello anon.

You are correct, at least I have my dignity.

As for the local pub, I've probably been to everyone but this one!

No sliced pinkies last night, thank goodness.

xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hello Patience

Your picture is looking good. Hasn't your hair got long! And dark.

Being cut up and pushed is not very nice!

I'm casting a spell on someone now, for a completely dfferent reason. All shall be revealed soon.

xxx

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

I'm always wishing I was in a cosy pub.
How is the shovelling going?

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur

I felt like that last night! How easy it is to loose confidence when it comes to slippery ice and razor sharp blades.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Nick

Ice skating not your thing then?
You can't be good at everything!

Your wife has good taste in flowers!