Tuesday, 20 November 2007

Wedding plans, lavender fields, and a welcome to the world

I was feeling a little off colour yesterday, but I’m back in blog land today and I’m ready to talk about the weekend’s activities.
A wedding (well, kind of), a funeral and a birth, were all rolled into one weekend.

My friend Annie invited me to her house for pasta and wine. We ate, drank and surfed the Internet. Annie is my friend who is getting married next year, and she excitedly showed me (via the Internet) the dress she has chosen. It’s stunning, and so is the venue that is now booked. I've had a nose at that too, thanks to the Internet. What would we do without it?!
I’m sure the day is going to be everything she has dreamt it to be, and I couldn’t help soaking up some of her happy vibes.
Which was why it was such a culture shock to then see my friend Claire. My friend Claire is still coming to terms with loosing one of her best friends, and I offered to attend the funeral with her, in the hope of providing some moral support.
I have met Vikki, who has now sadly passed away, on various occasions, although I won’t pretend to have been very close to her. But I wanted to pay my respects and be there for my friend Claire.
It was a beautiful ceremony, although obviously it was a very emotional day. And I have never seen so much lavender in a church. Lavender was worn by nearly everyone, as it is the colour for Lupas Trust (Lupas is the condition which took her life) and there are lavender fields surrounding the house she lived in. Even lavender coloured balloons were released into the sky, at the end of the beautiful, but sad, ceremony.

On a lighter note, my cousin has given birth to a healthy, gorgeous, baby boy. Welcome to the world! With flowers for my cousin, and a little outfit for her new son, I visited them at the weekend.
He was only 3 days old, and I held his tiny and perfect body in my arms. Her other two children kept coming over to him and kissing him on his forehead, although we had to tell them to be “gentle!" numerous times, as they were a little too enthusiastic towards their baby brother.
We then all settled down to watch Mary Poppins on DVD. Personally, I think you’re never too old for Mary Poppins.
Oh and my cousin commented on Mary's rather large bag bearing a resemblance to mine. Yes, but I bet hers doesn’t contain a can of soup?!

Picture of the day:

The colour of autumn.

6 comments:

Blur Ting said...

It's a nice post.. but so sad to read about the funeral.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

It was a very mixed weekend.
How different peoples lives can be in one weekend! I went from wedding plans and the excitement of planning the big day and looking forward to a future together, to watching family and friends grieving over their loved one, and then to spending time with my cousin and her family and welcoming a new life into the world.

Coming over to you now...

Kate said...

Perhaps not; but does yours contain a rubber tree plant? LOL

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

I don't think there's a rubber tree plant in there?! But who knows, with my big bag anything is possible!

seagrape said...

oh dear. i thought only flower shops deal with weddings, funerals and births in one weekend :)

The World According to Me said...

Hi Seagrape

How are you?

Good point with the florists! I also had all 3 in one weekend!