Thursday, 22 November 2007

It's cold outside

Dreams. Sometimes they seem to make perfect sense. For example, you may have been discussing a film or a book during the day, and then once you’ve retired to your bed, and the lights are switched off, you find the film or book incorporated into your dream. But sometimes you may find yourself waking up, scratching your head, and thinking: “What the heck was that all about?!”
That’s exactly how I felt this morning. I may have fallen asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow (which is a rare thing for me) but I’m still trying to fathom out what was going on in my head, whilst sleeping.
In my dream, I was a grand opera singer, living in an even grander manor house. In my arms, I carried a fake (yes, a fake) poodle dog. In my garden, the sky was covered in brightly coloured air balloons and luminous pink cars. One of my friends featured in this bizarre tale, and she had decided to change her nationality to South African. A Vicar also had a starring role, and he kept insisting on following me around with a champagne bottle. And not forgetting the outside bathroom which had been built onto my garden, and I was told not to enter it as Jesus Christ was inside.
Hmmm. Anyone else had a similar experience?!

Anyway, back to reality, and back to friends and food.
Last night, it was my turn to drive, and I collected my friend Helen for our monthly reunion. We'd decided to return to the charming countryside pub which we visited on our last rendezvous. Except I started driving to the wrong pub and didn’t realise this until my friend nervously asked, “Where are we going?” Whoops, time to do a 15 point turn in the road and head towards the correct destination.
Inside the correct pub, with the warm and cosy atmosphere, menus were scanned and drinks were ordered. The menu was pretty basic, but honest, good food. I ordered a panini with Mediterranean vegetables and mozzarella, with a side salad and skinny chips. It was yummy. And as always, it was fab to see my friend and have a good old-fashioned chinwag.
I took my friend home at the end of the night, and before we said our goodbyes, we both commented on the pleasant evening we'd had. I then continued the journey on to my house, where my mother’s mood and news brought me down a peg or two. Firstly, England are out of the European Championships Football, as they were beaten by Croatia. My mother is a huge football fan. Secondly, the boiler has packed up. Great, no heating or hot water for us until it’s fixed. And believe me when I tell you - it’s cold outside.

Picture of the day:

I wonder what this leaf tastes like?

12 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Wow, your dream is so imaginative, you can write a musical!!

Sorry about the heater. Poor you. I always dread taking a shower during winter. Thank god we live in the tropics!

Nick Phillips said...

Hi, your blog title is unique. Flying Pink Elephants :D

I'm a fan of the English Football team but I'm glad they were knocked out. It's time they wake up and realize where they stand.

Oh, and I've always wanted to visit a nice countryside pub. Sounds like a nice setting ...

JYankee said...

what a dream... yuck cold in winter ..... it's cold here too!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur

I've had some pretty bizarre dreams! Including that one!
It's not ideal having a busted boiler in this weather. What's the weather like where you are? Still hazy?

The World According to Me said...

Hello Nick

Welcome to Flying Pink Elephants! Thanks for visiting and posting.

The England football manager has now been sacked, after the disastrous efforts of the last few games. It's not a good time for English football!

It was a charming countryside pub. With a duck pond outside and even a resident peacock!

The World According to Me said...

Hi Jyankee

How's it going?

Bonkers dream.

So it's cold there too? We still have no hot water or heating as the plumber forgot to come round! How can you forget?! Maybe I'll forget to come into the office on Monday.

Mike M said...

I love all your stories. :collected my friend Helen" I love that! I have to use that from now on.

Love the picture!

Blur Ting said...

It's been plesantly cool this week. ard 22 to 29 deg. The haze comes and goes but it's not as bad as before. Good for us!

Keep dreaming those interesting dreams!

Leigh Russell said...

I don't often remember my dreams but I do often think "What the heck was that all about" when I'm not dreaming. Does that count?

The World According to Me said...

Hi Mike

Glad you like my stories and pic!

How's things at the homefront? Be over to you soon...

The World According to Me said...

Hi Blur

Good to hear the haze is lifting.
I'll let you know if I have any other strange dreams!

The World According to Me said...

Hello Leigh

I have that too! Weird thoughs when I'm asleep and awake!
How's the book coming along? I'll be over to you in a mo...