Wednesday, 28 November 2007

The fantasy holiday

Ever have one of those days where your imagination runs completely wild? That was me yesterday.
My friend Caron (via email) mentioned the vital words ‘sunshine’ and ‘holiday’ and that was it. I had my suitcase packed, full to the brim with stylish summer clothes. These summer clothes were of course on the small size, for in my imagination I was a size 8. Exotic cocktails were being sipped on breathtakingly beautiful beaches, and stunning sceneries were being snapped on my digital camera, ready to be downloaded to my blog. Oh what a relaxing but adventurous time we were having!
And then two other vital words entered my in-box and my head, ‘work’ and ‘finances’.
Suddenly, the bubble burst, and I was back at my desk staring at George Michael's face on my vintage copy of Smash Hits, which is perched in my ‘pending’ tray.
It was good while it lasted.
At five thirty on the dot, trying not to feel too down trodden, my winter coat was on, and my exceedingly long scarf was wrapped around my neck. Off to the tube station I trudged, trying to pretend it wasn’t cold and it hadn’t started to rain.
Three train journeys later, with only one seat available on one of the three journeys, I arrived home - to the aroma of a roast dinner cooking and to the seductive sound of the saxophone, which my father was practising. Hey, life isn’t so bad after all.
Have I ever mentioned how much I love roast dinners? Other than cheese, chocolate and Indian food, I don’t think you can beat a roast.
After my delicious home cooked roast dinner (thanks Mum) I drove to my friend Ann’s to celebrate her birthday. I arrived with gifts and good wishes, and in return I had some of her birthday profita rolls, with Baileys cream inside. Candles were placed on the profita rolls and me, her hubby, and her two lovely children, sang an out of tune "Happy Birthday to you!"
We then all decided to see how many profita rolls we could stuff into our faces, without any cream or chocolate oozing out our mouths and down our clothes. We failed - I managed to leak cream and chocolate all over my hands and around my greedy mouth, and my friend managed to drip chocolate all over her clean, white shirt. But they tasted damn good.
Who needs a holiday?!

Picture of the day:

What time does the next boat leave?

9 comments:

JYankee said...

Cool...that photo looks like HK...but what great food you ate. I hate cold rainy winter days..don't you??? Blah...

The World According to Me said...

Hello Jyankee

How you doing?

The picture was taken during my Singapore travels last year. The weather was warmer then!

Blur Ting said...

I would love to go on that holiday with you too!
Looks like you had plenty of good food to eat yesterday! I'm so envious!!

Blur Ting said...

It's a nice photo. Our skyline looks hazy in that photo. The skyline's normally very clear. I hope you managed to get some non hazy days in Singapore then.

seagrape said...

there's nothing like coming home to the smell of dinner cooking after a busy day at work and a long crowded train ride home.

Kate said...

London in December can be so abysmal. All I do is think of it and I can't feel my toes anymore.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Blur

It was a great ten minute holiday!
But in the end, the food made up for the lack of holidaying! (Sort of!)

Unfortunately it was a hazy weather time while I was in Singapore. It didn't spoil my adventures though. I loved every single moment. I think you live in a very special place.

The World According to Me said...

Hello Seagrape

It certainly made all my holiday woes disappear! As I stepped through my front door, I couldn't help thinking how lucky I was to come home to a nice warm house, with my parents to greet me, and dinner cooking and music playing.

The World According to Me said...

Hi Kate

Abysmal is the perfect word to describe the London weather in December! Grey, wet and cold are three other words to describe it!
I have two pairs of socks on today, so I can feel my toes!